Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Fuel Surcharge Ripoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines Fuel Surcharge Ripoff

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I did this to check a round-trip itinerary between Singapore and Phuket, and the total in taxes, fees and fuel surcharges was SGD 208.00.

I do not understand why they are charging the equivalent of approximately US$140.00 in taxes, fees and fuel surcharges.

Has anyone tried redeeming 20,000 Northwest WorldPerks miles and not being charged a surcharge for the round-trip flight between Singapore and Phuket?
I decided it was not worth the bother and instead flew on AirAsia between Phuket and Singapore.

The airfare was approximately the same, if not slightly more, than the taxes, fees and fuel surcharge alone on Malaysia Airlines using Northwest WorldPerks miles.

I received a flight on a clean all-coach Airbus aircraft with an on-time departure and arrival, and the seats were not uncomfortable at all. I had no advanced seat assignment, which costs extra, but the seat they assigned me at the airport was fine.

The flight was fewer than two hours in duration, so a premium cabin is really not necessary. The flight was smooth and non-eventful.

Food prices were fairly reasonable for those who are hungry during flight, with a number of options available.

I cannot complain. I would use AirAsia again, given the chance.

I am glad I saved my miles for when I could get the most out of them. Malaysia Airlines did me a favor.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
I have similar experiences to many of you. Two of us flew Phuket to KL on June 19th and then KUL-BKI-NRT on the 22nd and used NW miles for 60,000 in business on a ciruclar trip HNL-NRT-SIN, HKT-KUL-BKI-NRT-HNL. Only the SIN-HKT leg was a separate ticket on AirAsia which I have to concur with Canarsie that they were great and our plane was brand new.

Because of the Deltification of Northwest and their many schedule changes and things, my tickets were reissued twice. This caused problems in Phuket when checking in for the first of the MH legs. They couldn't find the ticket numbers. We waited for at least 15 minutes for them to do it. But they finally found them. They didn't charge us the surcharges at Phuket. Then on the 22nd we checked in for our KUL-BKI-NRT flight at KL Sentral and the same thing happened. They found one of our tickets but couldn't find the other. They sent us to the main MH ticket office next door to the check-in counter. It took them at least 15 minutes to find it too. We had also given them every document we had with ticket numbers etc. Then they printed out the number for me to take back to the counter to check-in. They were finally able to do it and they didn't charge either of us anything.

Here's the other kicker. We arrived in NRT around 7:30pm at T2. We had to connect to NW22 to HNL about 70 minutes later. Once we went to the transfer bus downstairs, the man showed us that the last bus to T1 leaves at 7:00pm. So there was no way for us to make it to the other terminal. We had to find a Japan Airlines person handling the MH flight to help us. It was crazy. We barely made it in time after they called a bus especially for the two of us to T1. I was so over it by the time we made it there. But the MH experience was awesome for us.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Same issue with MH - can't find reissued NW ticket #'s

NW-A332, consider yourself lucky with your MH saga!

My parents were traveling on a NW award ticket on MH. They live in PRG, and flew PRG-(KL)-AMS-(MH)-KUL-(MH)-BKK. The OK/KL agent in PRG was only able to check them in as far as AMS, and told them to check again in AMS for their MH flights.

Just like you, since their ticket was reissued a few times, the AMS MH agent couldn't find the current ('live') ticket, and because the flight was about to leave, gave them handwritten boarding passes, and sent them on their way, promising to take care of the issue while they flew to KUL.

As you may suspect, they get to KUL, and nobody knows anything about their situation, and states that their continuing ticket to BKK was cancelled because they were a no-show in AMS... All the while, they're standing in front of an agent in KUL, having just come off the AMS-KUL flight...

MH would not let them on their original flight until NW sorted everything out, which took a few hours!!! They ended up having a hefty 9 hour layover in KUL.

We wrote a letter to MH, but didn't get a single reply. Their long haul may be 5*, but their ground handling leaves a lot to be desired...
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Diamond, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
My wife and I flew PVG-KUL-HKT about a year ago. We were on NW award tickets in business on MH (the satay was awesome!). I knew nothing of the award ticket surchage, but it was not brought to our attention at check-in. Instead, the agent who checked us in at the ticket counter boarded our flight about 5 minutes before departure to ask us to pay the fees (due to her error). She said we had to pay cash because there wasn't time to process a credit card transaction. Well, we didn't have enough cash on hand so she left to see what else she could do and the door closed behind her. I guess we got lucky.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by bostonbali

We wrote a letter to MH, but didn't get a single reply. Their long haul may be 5*, but their ground handling leaves a lot to be desired...
when we were waiting for this whole ticket thing to be sorted out I was thinking about your April 23rd post about your parents' ordeal. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to contact NW because there isn't an office in Phuket or KL, as far as I know. What a mess.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
QUOTE I was hoping that I wouldn't have to contact NW because there isn't an office in Phuket or KL, as far as I know. QUOTE

Until Delta finishes eliminating NW's extensive Asian presence, there are still NW city ticket offices in Bangkok and KL. Check the "World Sites" link off of the NW Webpage (while that still works) to get their phone numbers to keep with you during your travels.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Possible to Redeem on MH for RT biz class KUL-AKL?

Is it possible to redeem WP miles for a biz-class award originating in KUL and flying RT to Auckland?

MH has a non-stop from KUL to AKL. The info on nwa.com says,

"Redeem miles on all Malaysia Airlines-operated flights with the exception of flights between Australia and New Zealand."

I don't want to fly BETWEEN Australia and New Zealand, just TO New Zealand from KUL, SIN, or BKK (from LAX as a separate trip later). Does the webpage language mean what it says, or what I think it intends to mean (no redemptions on MH flights TO Australia or New Zealand?

I understand that I can't redeem on SQ to Australia/New Zealand.

Only option I know of is KE: LAX (or anywhere else)-(ICN)-AKL, which does not sound very appealing.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I don't see why not. MH has (or used to have) a tag leg between Australia and NZ, and I think that clause was written to prevent using that tag leg, or travelling via KUL.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:51 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I flew an award itinerary that included long-haul MH segments over the past few weeks. First MH leg was AMS-KUL. We were transiting AMS and so went to the agent at the transfer desk for our boarding passes (BOS couldn't issue us seat assignments). This was of course an outsourced agent. No surprise that we weren't charged the fee there. At KUL, we were connecting to a flight to LGK. As we arrived very late from AMS, we had to sprint to the connecting gate. The flight was waiting for us and doors closed behind us. So again, no collection.

It was the return flight that made me nervous, as we were originating at KUL (KUL-TPE-LAX). This time, I called a few days ahead to get seat assignments (had no luck with the NY office on this, as they said award tickets wouldn't get advanced seat assignments - though they never mentioned the surcharge either). When I called for seat assignments in Malaysia, they assigned the seats and didn't mention the surcharge. Then, a day in advance of the flight, I managed to check-in online. Then we went to the bag drop counter to drop our bags. The agent there said we could go to the J check-in area, which I was purposely avoiding, just hoping to get the bags tagged on our way. The agent indeed accepted our bags and never mentioned the surcharge. This last bit was probably the big win. KUL is where you'll most likely be hit, and checking in online and then just doing the bag drop circumvented the need for heavy agent interaction.

So we were on our way w/o paying the onerous fees (which NW did not mention on my original booking phone call).

MH manged to jerk us around in plenty of other ways on this booking (canceled original flight EWR-ARN-KUL, then put us on LHR-KUL w/ no leg to get us to LHR, then canceled our LHR-KUL seats claiming a connection below MCT which wasn't true, etc.) so I didn't feel bad at all about getting away with this. Also, some say that NW won't book to Asia via TATL, but they did it for us w/o mentioning it as an issue... in fact, they booked us RTW as we returned TPAC.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by andymo99
I flew an award itinerary that included long-haul MH segments over the past few weeks. First MH leg was AMS-KUL. We were transiting AMS and so went to the agent at the transfer desk for our boarding passes (BOS couldn't issue us seat assignments). This was of course an outsourced agent. No surprise that we weren't charged the fee there. At KUL, we were connecting to a flight to LGK. As we arrived very late from AMS, we had to sprint to the connecting gate. The flight was waiting for us and doors closed behind us. So again, no collection.

It was the return flight that made me nervous, as we were originating at KUL (KUL-TPE-LAX). This time, I called a few days ahead to get seat assignments (had no luck with the NY office on this, as they said award tickets wouldn't get advanced seat assignments - though they never mentioned the surcharge either). When I called for seat assignments in Malaysia, they assigned the seats and didn't mention the surcharge. Then, a day in advance of the flight, I managed to check-in online. Then we went to the bag drop counter to drop our bags. The agent there said we could go to the J check-in area, which I was purposely avoiding, just hoping to get the bags tagged on our way. The agent indeed accepted our bags and never mentioned the surcharge. This last bit was probably the big win. KUL is where you'll most likely be hit, and checking in online and then just doing the bag drop circumvented the need for heavy agent interaction.

So we were on our way w/o paying the onerous fees (which NW did not mention on my original booking phone call).

MH manged to jerk us around in plenty of other ways on this booking (canceled original flight EWR-ARN-KUL, then put us on LHR-KUL w/ no leg to get us to LHR, then canceled our LHR-KUL seats claiming a connection below MCT which wasn't true, etc.) so I didn't feel bad at all about getting away with this. Also, some say that NW won't book to Asia via TATL, but they did it for us w/o mentioning it as an issue... in fact, they booked us RTW as we returned TPAC.
I just booked an LAX-TPE-SGN with the long hall on Malaysia....DL priced the tax out at 186 which generally seems high for an award ticket to Asia - chance that this includes the tax? I'm not even moving on to KUL - not sure if that changes anything.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:44 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by flying_q
I just booked an LAX-TPE-SGN with the long hall on Malaysia....DL priced the tax out at 186 which generally seems high for an award ticket to Asia - chance that this includes the tax? I'm not even moving on to KUL - not sure if that changes anything.
The fuel surcharge is something that MH is supposed to collect, so doubtful DL charged it. If you aren't touching KUL on your itinerary, your chance of avoiding it is higher.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by andymo99
The fuel surcharge is something that MH is supposed to collect, so doubtful DL charged it. If you aren't touching KUL on your itinerary, your chance of avoiding it is higher.
Just called Delta and she said the MH fuel surcharge was included in the tax for the ticket - still not sure I believe her. I will try to followup with a different agent.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I got whacked with a fuel surcharge about 10 days ago in ICN.. I had flown KE from DFW to ICN and then had an overnight layover. Upon checking in with MH they first told me my ticket had been canceled and I would have to come back in 30 minutes when they could call the ticketing office. Upon my return, I was told they were able to sort out the problem but needed to collect a 30,000 won fuel surcharge... I think that equals like $30... whatever.. it was annoying but I was tired and didn't feel like arguing.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bostonbali
My parents flew MH AMS-KUL-BKK-KUL-AMS.

Good news is that they were never charged a fuel surcharge (and MH agents took a GOOD look at their reservations, because...)

Bad news is that because their NWA award ticket was reissued several times (due to MH flight cancelleations and rescheduling), the MH agent in AMS wasn't able to find their ticket # in the system. Ultimately, the agent HAND WROTE boarding passes for them and sent them on their way to AMS.
This meant all subsequent segments were cancelled, which caused them long delays in KUL, not to mention lots of frustration!
Once, a NW agent told me that if you are using NW/WP miles to get an award ticket on a partner airline, NW rules apply, as it is still a NW award, though, on a partner airline. In other words, if NW doesn't charge fuel surcharge for an award on that route, the partner won't be able to either.
Disclaimer: The Only WP partners on which I have redeemed our miles have been CO, KL, and AF.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Once, a NW agent told me that if you are using NW/WP miles to get an award ticket on a partner airline, NW rules apply, as it is still a NW award, though, on a partner airline. In other words, if NW doesn't charge fuel surcharge for an award on that route, the partner won't be able to either.
Disclaimer: The Only WP partners on which I have redeemed our miles have been CO, KL, and AF.
The flaw in this is that MH flies a lot of routes NW/DL does not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.