Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Minor update out of Chisholm regarding on line/kiosk check in aft upgrade on DL metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minor update out of Chisholm regarding on line/kiosk check in aft upgrade on DL metal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President Circle

I was told tonight by a very nice elite phone center person that they are working hard on the OLCI problem for upgraded NW elites flying Delta metal.

She said there had been memos circulating around the company that the DL IT dept. was trying to fix the issue and they had suggected it would be corrected in 30 days a couple of weeks ago.

Ironically, I was trying to check in in SLC last week and there were 2 NW trainers working w/2 DL counter people and none of them had heard of the problem. The DL people insisted that I try the kiosk before they'd check me in at the counter. I told them I'd been upgraded and it wouldn't work and they condesendingly said "sir, you simply swipe a credit card and you can check right in blah, blah, blah...". I've had to do that drill at my home base in Indy at the DL counter every time as well. Sorta pisses me off but it will be fixed soon.

I am digging all the upgrades on my DL flights - I'm 100% - 18/18 now on DL metal since the merger. I also like the FA's. They are REALLY professional and pleasant. It blows me away how much better the DL FA's are as I had been numbed by years w/NWA I guess.

Go Hoosiers!

Last edited by Big Red Bill; Feb 7, 2009 at 5:33 pm
Old Feb 7, 2009, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I do not believe this is just a NW problem as I think this a problem for DL elites as well. Once ugraded you can't OLCI.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:48 pm

I have my first DL flights on Monday morning DTW-ATL-SJC, and I've yet to be upgraded. Checking the seatmaps on nwa.com show F to be pretty full for both flights. Looks like I will end up 0/2 on DL.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The Kiosk Worked!!!

I am at PDX tonight flying PDX-ATL-RDU, upgraded in advance on both legs. I decided to give the kiosk a whirl again even though it hasn't worked for me yet, and to my astonishment, it printed out my boarding passes without a fuss. Maybe IT is finally working out the bugs. ^
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Wow - that's great news MBA! I'll give it a go on my Tues flight to ATL

I'll try OLCI first and then the kiosk...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by mba0005
I am at PDX tonight flying PDX-ATL-RDU, upgraded in advance on both legs. I decided to give the kiosk a whirl again even though it hasn't worked for me yet, and to my astonishment, it printed out my boarding passes without a fuss. Maybe IT is finally working out the bugs. ^
Thank goodness. The DL counter staff are far too few and very unhelpful. When I was at PHL last week the FC rep literally interleaved helping the skycap and people waiting in the FC line. As a bonus I got a taste of that legendary DL flyer apologists - when I commented about it to the guy in front of me he actually berated me for commenting about it.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: NWA Gold, UA PE, HHonors Gold
I know this problem has been mentioned many times. I personnally have never had the problem.

I use the following procedure:

Buy Delta flights from NWA.com on a 012 ticket.
Get upgraded 3 days out. (WP Gold)
Check-in via Delta website.
I have done this four times this year.

The ONLY problem I have is to pick premium seats after my purchase from NWA.com. Have to call/chat.

I will test again on the 15th.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
A question

Is there any advantage for us to purchase a DL fare on NWA.com rather than delta.com?

I have an all DL trip coming up so I booked it on delta.com. I got to choose premium seats and my upgrade status shows "requested."

I do like the NW site better and could see using that to dial in a particular trip. But what is the advantage of being on NW stock rather than DL stock if the flight is all DL?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Happened to us on our first DL metal flights this year-upgraded, couldn't do OLCI. Called web support and they fixed it within less than a minute.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I do not believe this is just a NW problem as I think this a problem for DL elites as well. Once ugraded you can't OLCI.
This is only an issue for NWA elites that are upgraded on DL metal. As a DL GM more recently NW Plat, I nevered had an issue with OLCI or Kiosk check-in when I had been upgraded with my DL FF#. Now, whenever I am upgraded with my NW FF#, "Ineligible" for OLCI, and Kiosk cannot find reservation.

But as has been mentioned, DL employees in the field seem to be rather clueless.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I was upgraded on Delta last Friday and Sunday, and still neither OLCI or kiosk. In both cases, counter staff had my BPs in a few seconds though. (Helped that I was at DCA and JFK, with no lines).
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Big Red Bill
I am digging all the upgrades on my DL flights - I'm 100% - 18/18 now on DL metal since the merger. I also like the FA's. They are REALLY professional and pleasant. It blows me away how much better the DL FA's are as I had been numbed by years w/NWA I guess.

Go Hoosiers!
To tell you the truth, I have also noticed that DL FAs are much more friendly and helpful compared to NW FAs.

This week alone, the NW FAs I have had were all very monotonous and didn't seem happy at all. While the DL FAs I've had were all too enthusiastic in thanking us and letting us know that we were great passengers (hehe).

Maybe it's because NW FAs have a labor union to protect them so they don't really have to try as hard? I know DL FAs don't have a union, so maybe they have to really shine on the job, and they do get paid more

Maybe it's just me, but it's just an observation...
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by hur88
To tell you the truth, I have also noticed that DL FAs are much more friendly and helpful compared to NW FAs.

This week alone, the NW FAs I have had were all very monotonous and didn't seem happy at all. While the DL FAs I've had were all too enthusiastic in thanking us and letting us know that we were great passengers (hehe).

Maybe it's because NW FAs have a labor union to protect them so they don't really have to try as hard? I know DL FAs don't have a union, so maybe they have to really shine on the job, and they do get paid more

Maybe it's just me, but it's just an observation...
I would second your assessment. The DL FAs seem more enthusiastic, the planes are nicer and this coke-bigot is happy to see Coke Zero on a plane and in a bigger cup to boot.

The only NW advantage I see is that NW offers more meals - DL's current policy requires rather long flts by NW standards. However, I hear that DL may adopt NW's policy in that regard.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: NW PE, HH Gold, SPG Gold
any update re: online checkin after upgrade?

I have had the same problem since Nov/Dec... I'm Delta GM and NW Plat, so once I started using the NW Plat number, I can no longer check in online or at the kiosk after being upgraded...
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
On Friday my OLCI worked, but my printer did not. So I went to the kiosk at MSY and it said it could not find my reservation. However my boarding passes and luggage tag printed out behind the counter by it's self. The funny thin is it surprised everyone and I have never check a bag on DL.

Today, I could not check in for the return segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.