FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Will Delta ruin NWA World Clubs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/907231-will-delta-ruin-nwa-world-clubs.html)

OldRoyal Jan 7, 2009 11:20 am

Will Delta ruin NWA World Clubs?

I floated this topic recently on the DL Forum but I would be interested in hearing feedback from the NW side of the street....

One of the best benefits of CR membership for me over the last few years has been the reciprocity with NW. Specifically:

1) FOOD -- NW clubs have always had very good catering: toasted bagels in the morning, hummus, veggies and cookies in the afternoon, specialty coffee machines and excellent service to boot. In fact, if you look in at the back room at a NW club, it looks somewhat like a restaurant kitchen; at DL, it looks like a pantry.

2) SELF SERVICE BARS -- I like pouring my own drink. There's no waiting, I pour it the way I like and I dislike the "service is our pleasure...gratuities are our expectation" attitude by some of the contract employees at the CRs.

3) OPEN WI-FI -- I hate the hassle of the T-Mobile cards. Between getting the card and logging on, some days I spend as much time getting on the net as I do working on it. If DL benefits from a marketing agreement with T-Mobile, fine: display the T-Mobile info on the log in screen but keep the network open!!! The current system is a pain in the rear and a tremendous waste of plastic.

Has anyone heard anything about DL's plans for coordinating services in the two clubs?

gsupstate Jan 7, 2009 11:24 am

I have no idea about when clubs will be combined, but aside from having to use bartenders in the CRC's I've visited, I've found them to be at least comparable to WC's for what I need.

The lone exception, though, is in DL's favor. The CRC in the ATL E concourse that used to be the BE lounge (I've visited it in both guises) was still serving heavy hors d'oeuvres (hot and cold) in the afternoons when I was last there in Sept. Granted, that club gets packed at that time (it's in the international concourse), but its offerings are better than any WC I've been in.

rtarbuck Jan 7, 2009 11:29 am

Originally Posted by gsupstate (Post 11029032)
I have no idea about when clubs will be combined, but aside from having to use bartenders in the CRC's I've visited, I've found them to be at least comparable to WC's for what I need.

The lone exception, though, is in DL's favor. The CRC in the ATL E concourse that used to be the BE lounge (I've visited it in both guises) was still serving heavy hors d'oeuvres (hot and cold) in the afternoons when I was last there in Sept. Granted, that club gets packed at that time (it's in the international concourse), but its offerings are better than any WC I've been in.

This tells me you have never been in the new WorldClub in NRT. :)

motytrah Jan 7, 2009 12:30 pm

deleted, dup

humanoid94 Jan 7, 2009 12:51 pm

I fully expect to lose reciprocity with CO PC shortly. I wouldn't be surprised to see a same day ticket on DL metal requirement. I wonder if DL contract with T-mobile will require T-mobile to be installed in all NW clubs? I see a lot of long term downside risk, which is why I passed on a three year or lifetime membership.

pragakhan Jan 7, 2009 1:04 pm

By the looks of things, I don't see why they wouldn't want to screw everything up?

The drink area in DTW Main would function nicley as a bar, which I really do enjoy waiting 10 minutes for a Pepsi - err, Coke. For every minute I wait though, I usually put 10 cookies in my bag.

I think first, will be no more smoking and enjoy our enhanced (LOL!) bar service.

Hopefully they do acquire the electronic lockers, but I don't know that it will matter too much as I am sure I will not be renewing this year.

Time will tell..

aroundtheworld76 Jan 7, 2009 2:08 pm

bah!!!

What? You don't think a bowl of snack mix and a few Biscoff cookies are decent catering????????????? Most CR I have been in had exactly that.

The NRT WC is my favorite lounge in the world.

I actually tried to tip the bartender at the PDX WC a few months back, and she politely advised me that tips were not allowed!!

Hey Delta: You took the good planes, made our WP miles worthless, at least let us keep a decent lounge!!!

Merger my a**!

james318 Jan 7, 2009 3:30 pm

If they ever replace the furniture at the DTW club, I want one of those low chairs with the granite tables attached.

Heck, I wish I know who made them so I could buy one. I love those. Anyone know?

If they introduce bartenders it may kill the deal for me. I like being able to pour my own drinks. I'd rather have two very strong drinks then four normal/weak drinks.

I would think it would cost less to have pour your own...

ksucats Jan 7, 2009 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by james318 (Post 11030841)
If they introduce bartenders it may kill the deal for me. I like being able to pour my own drinks. I'd rather have two very strong drinks then four normal/weak drinks.

Me, too. Actually that is if they reverse the decision on change fees for plats on award tickets. Otherwise, I am gone from NWA & there will be no reason to renew my club membership again. I agree with a couple strong drinks vs. 4 weak ones. Not to mention the $4 in tips that goes along with the 4 weak ones.

spc354 Jan 7, 2009 3:50 pm

"Hey Delta: You took the good planes, made our WP miles worthless, at least let us keep a decent lounge!!!

Merger my a**! "

My sentiments exactly, Aroundtheworld76!

lotalota Jan 7, 2009 4:33 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by spc354
"Hey Delta: You took the good planes, made our WP miles worthless, at least let us keep a decent lounge!!!

Merger my a**! "

My sentiments exactly, Aroundtheworld76!

My sentiments too! Maybe we should make hats that say that. I'm guessing that bling with anti-DL slogans on it would sell well here.

DCAflyer81 Jan 7, 2009 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ksucats (Post 11030881)
Me, too. Actually that is if they reverse the decision on change fees for plats on award tickets. Otherwise, I am gone from NWA & there will be no reason to renew my club membership again. I agree with a couple strong drinks vs. 4 weak ones. Not to mention the $4 in tips that goes along with the 4 weak ones.

Yeah, tipping on top of the annual membership fee is sort of a slap in the face. And, of course, DL's club fees are higher than NW's (well, NW just matched - shocking). Finally, I have been flat-out told not to tip in my home (DCA) WC where they have to have bartenders due to VA state law. I really appreciated the sentiment - one absolutely not shared by CRC employees.

DanTravels Jan 7, 2009 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by gsupstate (Post 11029032)

I've seen similar at JFK T3 CRC (also formerly a BE or First lounge), so I think this may be the way DL does things at the CRCs where the international flyers hang out. If so, I appreciate it. :)

pragakhan Jan 7, 2009 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by james318 (Post 11030841)
If they ever replace the furniture at the DTW club, I want one of those low chairs with the granite tables attached.

Heck, I wish I know who made them so I could buy one. I love those. Anyone know?

Steel Case makes something like them...

http://steelcase.com/na/lounge_products.aspx?f=10273

Migrations Round & Club Mobile

Herman Miller makes the airport furniture, not sure if they supplied the lounge furniture?

http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/...40-p54,00.html LOL!!

BobH Jan 7, 2009 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by OldRoyal (Post 11029000)
I floated this topic recently on the DL Forum but I would be interested in hearing feedback from the NW side of the street....

--- snip ---

Has anyone heard anything about DL's plans for coordinating services in the two clubs?

I think the real question is whether Delta will *ruin* the clubs or *run* them...

If NW gets that piece of the pie, things may not change very much.

Bob H