Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Delta ruin NWA World Clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I'm hoping they don't mess with the veggies! I love the carrots and celery sticks. Such a healthier alternative to salty snacks you need to fill in those silly paper cups DL has.
On the upside, DL does has olives, but I do prefer the carrots!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hilton-DIA, IHG-Plat Amb, Hyatt-DIA, SPG-Plat & 3 star, Marriott-Gold, Nat'l-Exec, NWA-Sil
Originally Posted by pragakhan
Steel Case makes something like them...

http://steelcase.com/na/lounge_products.aspx?f=10273

Migrations Round & Club Mobile

Herman Miller makes the airport furniture, not sure if they supplied the lounge furniture?

http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/...40-p54,00.html LOL!!
And you may want to check out Haworth - they may still be making the "web-backed looking" desktop station chairs (and the ones the check-in desk folks sit in). Been a bit of competition for the furniture over tha last 8 years or so - most of it's made in Michigan, and if you search enough, there are warehouse outlets for the used stuff.....used to sell to all 3 mfgs and got a good discount, but not much anymore
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:33 pm

Sorry to barge in late, but as we have seen in other threads and experienced from history it's fair to say that , yes, DL will ruin everything. Includes WC, WP and anything else you can think of. Let's all run, although it would be nicer if another program really would offer as a superior option. At this stage, things look better anywhere else, but really not that much better. Bummer.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:31 pm

I think DL will pretty much ruin them. I much prefer sitting in the gate areas with the screaming babies.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:35 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
LAX WC Question

I just flew WBC from MNL-NRT-LAX.

Since I just was fed four meals in the air what I'm asking didn't really change anything on this date but the cookies at the LAX WC were quite small.

It has been a long time since I was there during "cookie" time but compared the the cookies at any other WC I've been in they were small. Have the cookies always been small at LAX
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
FWIW, it's against CRC policy for the bartenders to accept tips. I've heard some clubs' bartenders take them, but they're not supposed to.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by DAYflier
FWIW, it's against CRC policy for the bartenders to accept tips. I've heard some clubs' bartenders take them, but they're not supposed to.
Here is a WAG on my part, but I bet that DL's bar tenders are contractors or otherwise not employed directly by DL and as a result make minimum wage for a server with the expectation that that they will be tipped. This is in opposition to WCs that have "bartenders" to comply with local laws (for example DCA) where the staff are paid a wage with the expectation of no tips. Thus DL setup is probably cheaper than NW, and umm... we know how this will work out. DL is certain to employ the tipping bartenders to reduce their labor costs by transferring it to their members.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DAYflier
There is a "tip" jar on the bar in the LGA CRC.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
Originally Posted by rtarbuck
This tells me you have never been in the new WorldClub in NRT.
Great club! That stupid beer machine made me drink waaaay too much
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by thepla
Since I just was fed four meals in the air what I'm asking didn't really change anything on this date but the cookies at the LAX WC were quite small.

It has been a long time since I was there during "cookie" time but compared the the cookies at any other WC I've been in they were small. Have the cookies always been small at LAX
Yes, the cookies at LAX seem like generic store-bought cookies, not the usual fare at the hub clubs. The oatmeal raisin cookies are the #1 reason I visit WorldClubs. Even if I am running to make a connection and have only a minute to stop by a club I always do, just to run in and grab a handful.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:29 pm
UAL

Programs: UA
[QUOTE=james318;11030841]If they ever replace the furniture at the DTW club, I want one of those low chairs with the granite tables attached.

Heck, I wish I know who made them so I could buy one. I love those. Anyone know?

QUOTE]

You could ask the WC agent. Last year when I was in SFO I saw some art works that I really like. I asked the WC agent and she looked up the info for me.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by OldRoyal

2) SELF SERVICE BARS -- I like pouring my own drink. There's no waiting, I pour it the way I like and I dislike the "service is our pleasure...gratuities are our expectation" attitude by some of the contract employees at the CRs.
Im surprised this has not surfaced yet (although it may have without me noticing), but it appears that some clubs are moving away from the self-serve bars. The IAD lounge has switched to DL glassware and has removed all self-serve alcohol. Now, it is served by a bartender behind the old customer service desk in the back. Looks really make-shift in my opinion.

The old NWA mugs are still there, but the NWA logo has been stripped off leaving bare white mugs with only NORTHWEST written on the bottom. The typical NW snacks are in place, no DL fare as of yet. Is this the same that is happening at other clubs across the system? Havent been to any other WCs since March 30.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
The tipping seems commonplace at most CRCs. The bartender at the BNA CRC always keeps a stack of $1s in plain view with the hope that the stack will grow larger. The other DL staff seem not to care about tips when they serve drinks in his absence. I noticed Cabo Wabo tequila in this club the other day. ^^ I'll also give CRCs big bonus points for having better top shelf liquor and beer all around. I would rather tip and enjoy Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve over that low bud Jim Beam in the WC.

What's with the Atlanta CRCs going to mini bottles? Seems like a huge waste to me.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Thanks for bumping this thread, SkyTeam777. Somehow I missed it back in January, but back then I would not have had a clue about the future of WC's. Now it appears that once again DL is determined to destroy all of the things that made NW such a great airline. Including the WorldClubs!! It appears to be the continuation of the "Delta knows best" attitude, and the WC's will morph into the poor excuses for lounges that CRC's seem to be. Instead of offering the "best" of each airline, they have consistently chosen to offer us the "worst" option. The sole exception is serving meals on more DL flights than before, but making them all "cold meals".

As for the IAD lounge, I was there in February and they had the "bartender" arrangement but I assumed that it was due to local laws like at DCA. In itself, it was no big deal as the service was prompt and efficient for a guy who wanted nothing more than a draft beer. And 2 weeks ago, I managed to wander down to the CRC in PHL since I had a couple of hours to wait for my NW flight. It was worth the walk, as I was pleasantly surprised by the enhanced late afternoon snacks that were offered there (hummus and olives) compared to the crap that I have seen in most CRC's in the past. But all in all, the NW lounges have always seemed to offer a much better experience than the CRC's. I think this will soon be a fond memory for all of us, as DL seeks to reach the LOWEST common denominator, rather than the BEST of the two airlines.

Come on, DL, get rid of those stupid Putting Greens, and give us some useful things like decent snacks, a good selection of current newspapers, and easy to use wi-fi.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:09 am
GG

Will DL ruin Worldclubs?

Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.