Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/2/09 NW E-mail: Transfer Miles NW<->DL, New Award Fees, Sat Night Stay Elim, Etc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

EDIT: Please see post #161 for Bob Soukup's response.

As part of our merger with Delta®, we are continuing to align the WorldPerks® and SkyMiles® programs with several changes:

* Effective January 1, 2009, you will have even more ways to reach WorldPerks Elite status with the ability to earn Elite Qualifying Segments on all Delta-operated flights.

* Effective January 15, 2009, you will have more flexibility as we are removing the Saturday-night stay restrictions from award tickets.

* Also effective January 15, 2009, Northwest will introduce a new award ticket redemption fee and will increase our award reissue and redeposit fees from $50 to $100.

Award Ticket Redemption Timeframes
(WorldPerks Platinum Elites are exempt from this fee) Award Ticket Fees
3 days or less prior to departure date $150 per ticket
4 - 7 days prior to departure date $100 per ticket
8 - 20 days prior to departure date $75 per ticket
21 days or more prior to departure date No Charge

* Also effective January 15, 2009, you will have even more award flexibility as we introduce a third mileage award level and synchronized award mileage requirements with Delta. The new mileage award level will have increased availability over PerkSaverSM Awards, but at lower mileage amounts than PerkPassSM Awards. The new award level will be quoted as a PerkPassSM award and will automatically be presented to you during the booking process. To view the new awards structure go to www.nwa.com/newawards.

* In February 2009, WorldPerks members who also have a SkyMiles account will be able to transfer miles between these two accounts. Elite Qualifying Miles cannot be pooled at this time but will be automatically combined at program integration in late 2009.

Visit www.nwa.com/worldperks to stay informed of our integration efforts. We look forward to serving you as we merge to become a premier global airline.

Bob Soukup
Managing Director
WorldPerks Marketing
Please keep the discussion civil. Bold emphasis mine.

Last edited by slippahs; Jan 2, 2009 at 11:07 pm
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I'm done with this game.

The last-minute ticketing fees are for me the last straw. They are completely unjustifiable, as they cost the airline nothing. NW/DL can already restrict award tickets by controlling capacity; why further penalize your frequent customers with BS like last-minute award fees?

I think my goal will be to maintain the lowest elite status on 2 different airlines, just to avoid all the bogus bag-check, etc., fees. Or maybe we'll just quit flying altogether and go camping instead. Once again the airlines race to make their customers feel used and abused, and then complain that pax have no loyalty and shop only on price. Gee, I wonder why?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Mile Transfer ^ New Fees
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Didn't get my email yet. Apparently email travels faster to Hawaii.

None of this seems to be a surprise, except for perhaps the increased redemption fees. Of most interest to me is what isn't covered, mainly the current NW elite benefits that DL elites don't have. Specifically:
  • Confirmed companion upgrades for platinums.
  • Upgrades on award tickets.
  • 125% mileage bonus for platinums.
  • Elite ExtraPerks

Should we interpret "no news" about those benefits as "good news" and assume there will be no change for the 2009 program year?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:20 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
The "last minute" award fees are completely unjustified and REALLY PISS ME OFF. They truly don't have such costs and at $150?? Lots of 4 letter words come to mind and well, makes just want to stay at home.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
The nominal improvements (ability to transfer miles between DL and NW accounts, elite qualifying segments on DL, elimination of the Saturday-night stay restrictions on awards) are massively offset by the implementation of DL's dismal and opaque three-tier award structure (which has been discussed at length already) and the horrendous new fees for close-in award bookings.

$75 to $150 per ticket for booking an award within 21 days from the date of departure for Golds, Silvers, and general members? Absolutely dreadful.

It's especially unsettling since airlines tend to hold back a lot of award inventory until close to the departure date anyway (which is understandable). Imagine how expensive many awards are going to be when the close-in award booking fee is added to the already obnoxious surcharges DL has a penchant for levying.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Jan 1, 2009 at 11:29 pm
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
The nominal improvements (ability to transfer miles between DL and NW accounts, elite qualifying segments on DL, elimination of the Saturday-night stay restrictions on awards) are massively offset by the implementation of DL's dismal and opaque three-tier award structure (which has been discussed at length already) and the horrendous new fees for close-in award bookings. $75 to $150 per ticket for booking an award within 21 days from the date of departure for Golds, Silvers, and general members? Absolutely dreadful. It's especially unsettling since airlines tend to hold back a lot of award inventory until close to the departure date anyway (which is understandable).
exactly. how often will I need to board an award ticket without a Saturday night stay that ISN'T within 21 days? About never, me thinks. This makes domestic coach Perksaver awards within 21 days practically worthless.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by psychtobe
exactly. how often will I need to board an award ticket without a Saturday night stay that ISN'T within 21 days? About never, me thinks. This makes domestic coach Perksaver awards within 21 days practically worthless.
Cannot say that I am surprised. It is a real bummer for GE, SE, and General members though. I guess a nice "perk" for PEs sort of . Party's over kids. It was sure fun for a good long time though.

Safe Travels.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:37 pm

does CO charge this junk? I think the time may have come to make the switch.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:38 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
UA award flights suddenly open up at 21 and 14 day windows and so they can screw you either with double miles or miles and large fees. Time to cut up my airline credit cards!
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by psychtobe
does CO charge this junk? I think the time may have come to make the switch.
Yes (although the fee structure is slightly different):
Service Fees for All Travel Reward Tickets

Fee is based on the Elite status of the account from which the miles were withdrawn, and the status of the account at the time of the reward ticket/change/redeposit request. Delivery fees, which are not included, may apply.

OnePass Members/Platinum Elites

Travel 21 days or beyond
$0/$0

Travel 15 to 20 days
$75/$0

Travel within 4 to 14 days
$75/$35

Travel 3 days or less
$75/$50

Travel Reward Redeposit and Change Fees
$150/$0
Express Delivery of Rewards

Express delivery is required for OnePass reward requests within 10 days of travel and a $35 fee applies. This fee must be paid in advance by credit card. If you require a paper ticket, express delivery is required for requests within 7 days of travel. Express delivery to a post office box is not permitted.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Will the fees be waived for Gold or Plat? For the first time in years I didn't make Plat... massive reductions in work related travel.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:25 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Lets see 40,000 miles for a domestic flight. That makes it less then .01 per mile for most flights, that one will probably find availablity. Then they want to tack an "award" fee on to that. That is freaking unreal. I knew the "cost" of getting a "free" ticket was going up and I wasn't going to be happy. Now I can tell ya there goes my World Perks Visa. Any chance Delta had of getting me to spend money with their card went out the window as well.....What freakin greed.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:27 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
The "last minute" award fees are completely unjustified and REALLY PISS ME OFF. They truly don't have such costs and at $150?? Lots of 4 letter words come to mind and well, makes just want to stay at home.
Amen to all of that.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Ugh... UA pulls this cr*p with their award dates . This totally is ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.