Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW2040 Emergency Landing in Fargo [Compass FA sets fire in ERJ-175 Lav]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Please lock/delete if this is old news.

http://www.startribune.com/local/18760374.html

A Northwest Airlines flight from Minneapolis-St. Paul to Regina, Sask., made an emergency landing in Fargo, N.D. early this morning after a fire was reported in a bathroom, said Paul Skrbec, a Northwest spokesman.

None of the 69 passengers was injured when flight 2040 landed without incident at Hector Field around 1 a.m., Skrbec said.

Emergency crews met the aircraft, Embraer 125 operated by Compass Airlines, a subsidiary of Northwest.

Passengers were put up in hotels in the Fargo area and re-booked on flights today.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
Fire is always unnerving on flights. I was on a CO flight ORD-EWR a few years ago and there was a fire in the cockpit. We emergency landed at CLE and had all the fire trucks surround us, etc. Was ever more scary as my two cats were in the cargo hold!
Old May 8, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Fire in the bathroom? Hmmm...wonder what caused that....

Seems like an arrest might be in order for whomever was in there last?
Old May 8, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
Fire in the bathroom? Hmmm...wonder what caused that....

Seems like an arrest might be in order for whomever was in there last?
Fire in the cockpit, we know who we need to arrest there
Old May 8, 2008, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
What is an "Embraer 125"? That might've been the cause of the fire...
Old May 8, 2008, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by slippahs
What is an "Embraer 125"? That might've been the cause of the fire...
Before the fire = E175
After the fire = E125

Must have sustained lots of damage!

Old May 8, 2008, 4:58 pm

Fire on Regina-bound plane forces emergency landing

"He couldn't believe how fast they dove. 'Running back and forth, many worried looks. Everyone had someone on their lap except for row 7 forward.' ... They hit hard, people cheered. They thought they were going to go off on the slides but then they brought them some stairs," Rebecca explained, adding her husband was one of the calmer passengers who helped the woman sitting beside him who had assumed the crash position.
Old May 8, 2008, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Were there FlyerTalkers on board? Who else would already be worried about compensation?

Originally Posted by Leader-Post
Billings said the passengers were offered two $100 vouchers for travel with Northwest Airlines -- of which Compass Airlines is a wholly owned subsidiary -- which must be used separately.

However, she wasn't pleased to hear one passenger was bumped up to first class for a flight back to Minneapolis early Thursday morning and was given a round-trip ticket for anywhere in North America. She is planning to complain to Northwest about the situation.

"I just think it's unfair (and) too bad we can't all get the same treatment as we all went through it," she said. "We all had to wait until 3 in the morning standing in line, getting processed and get an hour of sleep at the hotel and then up again and have to go through it all."

Last edited by MikeMpls; May 21, 2008 at 7:44 pm
Old May 8, 2008, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Emerald Aisle Executive
I was on a NW flight to Fargo in 2000. The pilot announced that the smarter ones on board may have noticed the sun was on the other side of the plane because we were heading back to MSP as there were two warning lights flashing in the cockpit and the emergency facilities at Fargo weren't as good as the ones at MSP. Made me feel really comfortable. I thought after that it maybe there are more spare bulbs at MSP.
Old May 8, 2008, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Interesting -- the diversion to Fargo (with the plane burning) is shown as "delayed due to security requirements". The continuation to Regina after the unscheduled stop is Fargo is shown as canceled because of "diversion/delay due to mechanical problem."

This shows a Fargo landing at 10:44 p.m. According to the article the passengers were then detained for almost 5 hours (until 3:30 a.m.) for questioning.

Originally Posted by NWA flight status
Departs: Minneapolis/St. Paul-Int'l, MN (MSP) Arrives: Fargo,ND/Moorhead,MN ( FAR )
Gate: D1 Gate: 1
Scheduled: 9:20PM Scheduled:
Actual: 9:43PM Actual: 10:44PM
Aircraft: E75 Weather: FAR
Note: Delayed due to security requirements.

Departs: Fargo,ND/Moorhead,MN ( FAR ) Arrives: Regina, SK, Canada ( YQR )
Gate: Gate:
Scheduled: Scheduled: 10:24PM
Actual: Cancelled Actual: Cancelled
Aircraft: Weather: YQR
Note: Diversion/delay due to mechanical problem.

Last edited by MikeMpls; May 21, 2008 at 7:44 pm
Old May 15, 2008, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Update:

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_9271345

FBI agents have arrested a 19-year-old Woodbury man who allegedly set a fire in the restroom of a Compass Airlines flight.

The FBI says Eder H. Rojas was arrested Wednesday evening in Minneapolis. He was charged this morning in federal court in Fargo, N.D. The U.S. attorney's office for North Dakota will prosecute the case.

The Compass Airlines flight was on its way from Minneapolis-St. Paul to Regina, Saskatchewan, the night of May 7 when the smoky fire forced the crew to land in Fargo instead. Many of the 59 passengers had to spend the night in the Fargo airport.

Compass is a subsidiary of Northwest Airlines.
Old May 15, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
There were some comments regarding a signature above. If you have a concern regarding a signature, please PM the user and refrain from taking a thread off-topic. Off-topic posts have been deleted.

Let's now steer this conversation back to the emergency landing of NW2040. Thanks.

Last edited by slippahs; May 15, 2008 at 9:48 pm
Old May 15, 2008, 6:05 pm

Programs: Peasant at large
Yes, people need to lighten up before the government ups the valium dose in our drinking water.

Ok, this is a very scary development: Flight attendant accused of setting fire on airplane

Court documents say Rojas, of Woodbury, Minn., told authorities he was upset at the airline for making him work that route.
This is just wrong on so many levels.

That aside, I wonder why the other FAs were not able to put it out with the extinguishers on board. I'm guessing they're using ABC rated extinguishers so they'll work even if the plastics caught fire. If the plane landed safely without half the plane ruined, it probably didn't spread much (guessing here).

I'm just wondering if they were spraying at the dancing flames instead of the source of the fire (whatever's burning). Have seen that all too often even with people that have gone through training but never actually dealt with a real fire.

Either way, I hope they throw the book at the guy if he really did start it. What an absolute moron risking 59 lifes just because he's a whinny loser. Let him do hard time in a federal pen. He can play FA on any block he likes.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
(Well, learn something new about FT every day... )

Just updated, on cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/15/....ap/index.html

Yes, it shouldn't have happened, we can all agree on that. Still, it would be interesting to know what he was unhappy about, regarding that route... distance, departure/arrival time, co-workers, etc. Guess we'll find out, sooner or later.

Steve B.
Old May 15, 2008, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler/Diamond, SPG Plat
What the H*ll is the deal with this kid? Fargo is a GREAT city. Nice Airport. I was there once for 25 minutes connecting from vegas for a $300 voucher. . . you betcha dar now.

Originally Posted by sbagdon
(Well, learn something new about FT every day... )

Just updated, on cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/15/....ap/index.html

Yes, it shouldn't have happened, we can all agree on that. Still, it would be interesting to know what he was unhappy about, regarding that route... distance, departure/arrival time, co-workers, etc. Guess we'll find out, sooner or later.

Steve B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.