Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Done.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080414/delta_northwest.html
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Word on the radio around MSP is that the announcement will come between 8-9CST tonite.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by ChinaShark
Tis a shame, but it has been fun kids!!!!! A pleasure for sure being with NW these last few years! Happy trails and safe travels to us all!!
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:05 pm

Programs: CO
Well I think I am finally going to start to burn my WP miles.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:12 pm

Exclamation BREAKING: Northwest/Delta Announce Merger [nwa-side of Discussion Only]

Dear Northwest Customer:

As a valued customer, I wanted you to be among the first to hear that we have announced an agreement to merge with Delta Air Lines. Subject to regulatory review, our two airlines are joining forces to create America's premier global airline which will be called Delta Air Lines.

By combining Northwest and Delta, we are building a stronger, more resilient airline that will be a leader in providing customer service and value. The combined airline will offer unprecedented access to the world, enabling you to fly to more destinations and have more flight choices.

You can be assured that your WorldPerks miles and Elite program status will be unaffected by this news. In addition, you can continue to earn miles with confidence on Northwest and all of our mileage partners.

The combined Delta Air Lines will serve more U.S. communities and connect to more worldwide destinations than any global airline. We will be the only U.S. airline to offer direct service from the United States to all of the world's major business centers in Asia, Latin America, Europe, Africa, and around North America.

Both airlines bring tremendous strengths to this new partnership. Our complementary service networks form an end-to-end system that is truly greater than the sum of its parts. This is a merger by addition, not subtraction, which means all of our hubs - both Delta's and Northwest's - will be retained. In addition, building on both airlines' proud, decades-long history of serving small communities, we plan to enhance global connections to small towns and cities across the U.S.

All of these positive benefits of our combination mean that we can:

* Offer a true global network where our customers will be able to fly to more destinations, have more schedule options and more opportunities to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles in what will become the world's largest frequent flyer program.
* Continue to serve our current roster of destinations and to maintain our hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York, Salt Lake City, Amsterdam and Tokyo.
* Improve the customers' travel experience through new products and services including enhanced self-service tools, better bag-tracking technology, more onboard meal options, new seats and refurbished cabins

While we work to secure approval of our merger, which is expected to take 6 to 8 months, it will be business-as-usual at both airlines. We will continue to operate as independent airlines and the people of Northwest will remain focused on providing you with the very best in safe, reliable and convenient air travel. At the same time, both airlines will be planning for a seamless integration of our two airlines, one that delivers to you the enhanced benefits that will earn - and retain - your preference.

As we work through this process, we will keep you informed at every step along the way. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you on your next Northwest flight.

Sincerely,
Doug Steenland
President and CEO
Northwest Airlines

Last edited by SirJman; Apr 14, 2008 at 6:20 pm
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Perhaps a more descriptive thread title is needed if this magnanimous news is true...
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
Let the cat of the bag a little early....maybe
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's true... just crossed CNN.

...and to maintain our hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York, Salt Lake City, Amsterdam and Tokyo.

Nobody believes they'll maintain seven domestic hubs.

As hard as I've been on NW in recent years, I find myself sorry an airline brand with so much history in it is getting wiped out in this coldly efficient manner. I miss Northwest Orient.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Confirmed

CNN and MSNBC reporting the deal is done.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL GE
Can I change my FT handle to "I'm SAD"?

NWA RIP
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:19 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by BearX220
As hard as I've been on NW in recent years, I find myself sorry an airline brand with so much history in it is getting wiped out in this coldly efficient manner. I miss Northwest Orient.
I also miss TWA and the original National Airlines.

Though, IIRC, they can't tear down the [currently empty] TWA International Terminal at JFK --- so, at least, a "bit" of history is retained.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Letter from Doug Steenland on nwa.com:

http://www.nwa.com/features/mergerle...ervesV2.hplead
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by frankc98376
Actually there were three [fares during the regulated era] - First, Coach, and APEX (Advance Purchase Excursion) fares. There were also standby fares that allowed a traveler to wait for an open seat at the airport.
There was also Night Coach (for post-900p departures), youth fares, and lots of other variants. The CAB era wasn't quite as straightforward as all that.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Looks like the time is near. I've been in mourning for some time. Are there any others in MSP interested in planning in advance for a memorial service? I have lots of fond memories . . . .
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Delta Elite Inflation Watch Out

A cautionary tale now for those who are staying behind, Delta is running that stupid 2x EQM promo which very may further swell their already swollen elite ranks. It may be prudent for those who are requalifying to be prepared for a mass of elites that will really be problematic. Just a thought. Safe travels on this sorry evening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.