Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Input from FTers on B787 Dreamliner Seating and Interior Configuration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Input from FTers on B787 Dreamliner Seating and Interior Configuration

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
* No cellphone access, and preferably no in-seat phone-type thing

Glad to hear that AVOD will be wireless. That should free up some precious legroom. Overhead bins are fine, IMO. I think people carry-on too much as it is, or they overpack. Besides, I think that might be something that Boeing can't change.
Honestly, gang, someone really needs to explain to me what some people's angry, almost militant objection to any kind of telephone usage on airplanes is. I cannot WAIT to be able to continue being productive for five friggin' hours in the air. I hear people comlaining abot "yelling into cell phones". I have used cell phones since 1988 and I don't think I have ever once YELLED into one. This should be no different than if I were seated next to or across the aisle from someone who I am having a business meeting with while in the air, which I do with my boss quite a bit.

I have filed reply comments with the FCC in favor of in flight cell phone usage. I really don't see why there cannot be a compromise met between those of us who want to keep in contact and be productive during what is normally hours upon hours of useless down time, and those who feel that an airplane should be their own private coccoon of inaccessibility. Again, feel free to flame me all you want, but please don't use the phrase "yelling into..." because I have never done so. I don't think it's unreasonalbe to havet he FAs tell someone who is to shut the hell up either.

Having said all this, INTERNET ACCESS!! (That way, I can use my VoIP program and make and receive calls anyway...) So at least we can still conduct business ojn the internet.

But, I know all of this is something that I will NEVER be able to use since I don't travel internationally and NW seems to limit any kind of decent in flight amenity (food, entertainment...) to only international routes.

-Paul
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:27 am

Programs: NWA gold, frequent stayer at friends' and relatives' houses
9x14x22 fits straight in

I will echo the overhead bin space issue. By making the overhead bins fit the largest carryon allowed straight in, there would be a lot more space.

I have heard Jet Blue put in more overhead space, making business travelers very happy, and reducing the cost of transporting luggage as people lugged their own.

Even overseas, there would be some trips with carryon only if the bin is big enough.

I would also like to second no cell phone access. Even if people are not "yelling", it is disruptive. The cabins are too small with people too close together, that you can't help hearing half a conversation, and that is irritating. The plane is the one place I finally just can't be bothered by anyone else, and could actually get work done, or watch a movie, etc.

Last edited by goingforgold; Oct 30, 2005 at 9:28 am Reason: mistype
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
On Friday 10/28 TheZipper and I met with Suzanne Boda, VP - Inflight and Laura Liu VP - International Marketing and Sales at Northwest's World HQ in Eagan, MN.

During our meeting it was brought up that Suzanne and Laura are responsible for configuring the B787 Dreamliner.

As the Boeing USA Launch Customer I thought Fters might want to comment on the features and ammenities we feel NWA should consider.

This is a great opportunity to present our thoughts, as frequent flyers and NWA pax, we know a lot about the present a/c and our feedback might help make the final configuration, overhead bins, closets, lavatories, galleys, etc even better.

I am sure all comments here will be read by the team working on the configuration of this new a/c.

RC
That's hilarious. I was at HQ all day Friday as well...meeting some management for non-FT stuff.

Sounds like the seating layout is pretty well set in stone.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm all for less seat pitch in coach is it makes more WBC seats available.

Dump AVOD in coach unless you can get rid of the big bulky box.

Steve
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 MM
The IFE Box is GONE - all wireless AVOD

The IFE Boxes we presently see on the B747-400/200, DC10-30 and A330-300/200 will be gone on the B787. The new technology being used is all wireless on the a/c. This should help in allowing better storage under the seat (in front) in the main cabin of the B-787.

RC

Originally Posted by sllevin
I'm all for less seat pitch in coach is it makes more WBC seats available.

Dump AVOD in coach unless you can get rid of the big bulky box.

Steve
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
Honestly, gang, someone really needs to explain to me what some people's angry, almost militant objection to any kind of telephone usage on airplanes is. I cannot WAIT to be able to continue being productive for five friggin' hours in the air. I hear people comlaining abot "yelling into cell phones". I have used cell phones since 1988 and I don't think I have ever once YELLED into one. This should be no different than if I were seated next to or across the aisle from someone who I am having a business meeting with while in the air, which I do with my boss quite a bit.
Ok, I'll bite. But keep in mind, this probably isn't the right forum for this discussion...but you started it.

The problem with cellphone use (nobody mentioned yelling except you Paul) is, as mentioned, the close confines of these aircraft. It's not so much that people disagree with your desire to be productive. Most of us would like to either be productive or just completely relax after a long week of work/day of traveling, etc. That's where the problem comes in. Even normal conversation becomes disruptive inside a small cocoon that is an aircraft interior. Ever notice how you can hear conversations going on from several rows ahead/behind you? I usually can, and I don't have particularly sensitive hearing. More likely example, though: You're in 1A, your seatmate in 1B wants to sleep in the worst way. So you "angle" your speech away from them in order to be considerate. But the acoustics of the cabin will transmit your conversation much further than you would expect in a more normal setting. Seatmate can't sleep, and can't move to another seat, and doesn't feel like they should have to. So, your seatmate arrives at the destination more tired and/or stressed than when they boarded the aircraft. And the talk about having a meeting with your boss airborne is a strawman. Chances are you two are seated together and you both agreed to be discussing business matters for however long you want. Your random seatmate, however, didn't enter into such a contract when you flipped open your phone.

It's all about being considerate to the other pax. Note how IFE goes to headphones rather than overhead speakers? You don't fly internationally, so it's maybe 5 hours at most that you're without a cellphone connection? The comprimise you speak of is using your laptop and utilizing email, Instant Messaging, etc. This is a comprimise everyone can accept. You can still communicate, your seatmate gets to sleep, enjoy that novel, crunch some numbers, or whatever they may like to do.

Last edited by SchmutzigMSP; Oct 30, 2005 at 10:01 am
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:46 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Sounds like the seating layout is pretty well set in stone.
It is? I was just thinking that a UA-style E+ equivalent (at least for elites) would be a great idea. Do you know what the layout is supposed to be?
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:15 am
RKG

Originally Posted by BOS-NWA
RC,

The most important factor, IMHO, is the ratio between WBC and Y seats.

NW 744--- 65:338 roughly 1:5

NW 332--- 32:211 about 1:7

NW 333--- 34:264 about 1:8

UA 744 (FC/BC)--- 87:260 about 1:3 (and 1/3 of Y is E+)

UA 777 (FC/BC)--- 61:198 about 1:3

There are way too few WBC seats on 332/333 which makes upgrade extremely impossible. Therefore NW could not afford any SWUs like UA because the demand for WBC is so high. The consequence is that high mileage international flyers (100k/yr) leave NW. Who wants to sit in NW's cramped Y for long international flights with virtually small hope of upgrade and no E+? This is a huge mistake by NW in my view.

NW should carefully design 787 and maintain at least 1:5 or even 1:4, 1:3 WBC/Y ratio.

As a math professor, I pay particular attention to numbers.

Thank you for doing this!

Right on target, BOS-NWA!!!

This is, to me, THE most important issue.

-RKG
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:24 am

Programs: Shiny ones
Consider all options

I've noticed that both Boeing and Airbus, when they launch a new aircraft, always illustrate it with seats which we never see ever again. They also use weird sizes of business class that aren't used any more, then say 'hey - look we can get [impossibly large No] of passengers on board!'. One company that's really thought about this is Thompson Solutions, what about considering their seat layout: http://www.airlinequality.com/Produc...son-seat-2.htm

There's both an economy and a first design, they give more space, more legroom and more seats per aircraft!

I would like to see a radical change in aircraft interior, preferably by someone who actually sits in one of the seats for perhaps 11 hours at a stretch.

Some others:

DON'T put electronics boxes under the seat in front so all leg room is obliterated.
DO put many more compartments and spaces around the seat so people can keep things they need in reach, make them specially for particular objects eg a laptop slot, a bottle holder, a cup holder.
DON'T forget that in winter, many pax will have a coat - oh yeah, even coach pax need these! So give them a wardrobe! Even Aeroflot does this!
DO recognise that we all need much faster more seamless access to the internet/telephony - so provide it
DON'T put the sockets for electricity/headphones/phone/IT stuff in an inaccessible location that can snap off easily if you move around
DO recognise that people *should* move around the plane, so make it easier in terms of layout. Put in an exercise area, even if it's only a back stretching bar like on SAS long-haul.
DON'T force kids to sit still for long periods
DO provide a play corner - *away* from the premium cabins ;-)
DON'T assume we want to put luggage high up - low down is safer and easier.
DO make provision for ill passengers. There are several inflight emergencies that simple first aid mandates that the victim should be laid flat or even slightly head-down - can't do that on most planes, and this simple failure causes strokes and other permanent damage even in a simple faint.
DON'T assume that pax gathering in areas is a security risk - they should all have been screened, if they haven't why are they on the plane? Make areas where people can talk in groups, get a drink or a snack and stretch their legs, or even go somewhere else to make a phone call.
DO make provision for people travelling alone - they may not want to sit next to others, single seats are common on trains (which have a smaller cross section), but for some reason are only provided in some first classes.
DON'T assume people want to have the window blinds shut/open (787 blurb makes a big fuss about completely unnecessary and expensive LCD shutter type windows). The world is divided into those that want to travel in the dark and those that don't. You'll never get them to accept the other's point of view, so accomodate them both.
DO make more use of all the exits on a plane. Come the A380 we're going to see more boarding points per plane, and so the airports are going to have to have docks with multiple airbridges - so consider putting premium seats in alternative locations on the aircraft. Presumably the same airbridges would be able to service multiple doors at once on a 787?
DON'T assume that 'downstairs' is unavailable. If domestic cargo loads are dropping, use the space for pax or px amenities. Airbus are already licensed for this (e.g. Virgin have had plans to although they don't currently use it, LH have all the coach lavatories in the cargo hold). Why not design in the space at this stage for the 787?
DO consider Virgin Trains (Sir Richard Branson's UK train company) technique of having little LED signs above each seat with the passenger name on. Then you know which is your seat, which ones are free, etc.
DON'T rely on tradition and hoping that you've put enough newspapers, meals of each choice, etc on board - ask people when they (electronically) check in, and only upload exactly what you need.

OK - enough already. Let us know what's coming for the 787 when it eventually arrives!

T/Oe
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
more votes

NW's launch of the A330 has had an enormous impact in changing NW's reputation as an airline stuck in the DC10/DC9 era.

NW did a very good job with it, especially 2-4-2 seating, keep up the great work on the 787!

My votes:
- Wi-Fi (c'mon NW, if IFE is wireless, then adding Connexcion will be so easy!)
- Biz: Love the earlier suggestion of some sort of "well" for drink cups.
- Decent reading lights (A333's are too focused to read a newspaper)
- Adjustable headrests like on A333!
- Coach: how about an extra/mini/dedicated seatpocket for water bottles, like a lot of backpacks have.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I beg to differ

Originally Posted by nroscoe
NW's launch of the A330 has had an enormous impact in changing NW's reputation as an airline stuck in the DC10/DC9 era.

NW did a very good job with it, especially 2-4-2 seating, keep up the great work on the 787!
True, A330 changed NW's image with out-dated DC10/9. And it has a lot of good features.

But, A330 has sucn a dismal WBC/Y ratio, perhaps the lowest in the industry. A333 has a total of 298 seats, and only 11% of them are in the premium cabin. I don't know how many people realized. Good job? Hardly.

This is totally insane. It's like NW did not want premium pax on board who either pay J fare or who are high mileage flyers and have miles to upgrade to C.

So I would say that A330 has only reinforced NW's image as cattle class carrier. Combined with no E+ seating, it ranks very low as far as international flyers are concerned.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Originally Posted by VideoPaul
Honestly, gang, someone really needs to explain to me what some people's angry, almost militant objection to any kind of telephone usage on airplanes is. I cannot WAIT to be able to continue being productive for five friggin' hours in the air.
-Paul
I cannot WAIT to get away from passengers like you after five frigging hours in the air.
Dave
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Phones

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
The problem with cellphone use (nobody mentioned yelling except you Paul) is, as mentioned, the close confines of these aircraft.
I wouldn´t mind someone who talks for 5 or 10 minutes. However, you´ll get those people who go on, and on, and on and will never stop. Even now, listening to the self blathering fools who don´t or won´t turn their phones off when the door closes.

I´d rather sit in the smoking section. (Okay, that´s a lie)

Make a cell phone section that we can throw all the cell phone users and cry babies. These may be the same people in some circumstances.

If there could be some sort of sound shield, I would have no problems at all with this. I just find that some airline travellers are very inconsiderate, and peace and quiet on a long trip reduces the stress greatly.

I wouldn´t mind using VoIP myself, (I got rid of my cellphone after 15 years, since they´re evil. onboard, but don´t see how it could be fair and non disruptive to everyone onboard. Perhaps allow calls the first hour or two, and then the last hour?

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Oct 30, 2005 at 1:28 pm
Old Oct 30, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by Bangkok Dave
I cannot WAIT to get away from passengers like you after five frigging hours in the air.
AMEN!
Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by BOS-NWA
True, A330 changed NW's image with out-dated DC10/9. And it has a lot of good features.

But, A330 has sucn a dismal WBC/Y ratio, perhaps the lowest in the industry. A333 has a total of 298 seats, and only 11% of them are in the premium cabin. I don't know how many people realized. Good job? Hardly.

This is totally insane. It's like NW did not want premium pax on board who either pay J fare or who are high mileage flyers and have miles to upgrade to C.

So I would say that A330 has only reinforced NW's image as cattle class carrier. Combined with no E+ seating, it ranks very low as far as international flyers are concerned.
I echo the good professor's sentiments. What is one of the main reasons that domestically we can get upgrades? NWA has a lot of FC seats in the domestic fleet (subject to change in the very near future as it looks more and more likely). The other thing as others have noted that would make me happy is laptop power. With that I can stay both productive and entertained.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.