Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Most disgusting habbits on airplane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Plt,AA ExPlt,UA Pre,USAir Gld,*wood Plat, HIL Gld, Hyatt Gld, PriorityCl Plt, Marriot Silv

recently flew MSP->SFO, missed my upgrade(only 1 slot open and neede 2).
Sat in coach and witnessed unkempt PAX across isle from me whip out her fingernail clipper and proceed to clip her nails with the particles wizzing around the floor next to her and her husband. I saw the NWA FA notice this and look apalled but she also said nothing other than to go up to front of cabin and discuss with other FA.

Anyways, the thought of that woman's hideous looking hygiene and the resulting contamination on the plane floor has me keeping my shoes on the whole 24 hours to Bombay. Am i being too phobic?
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I had this happen a few months back...but it was in FC. I was pretty surprised that someone would be clipping her nails enroute and just letting the nail fall where it will wihtout any attempt to clean it up. At least she didn't try to put nail polish on afterward...I've also had that happen one time while still on the ground and boarding.

My general rule of thumb...if it's something that you wouldn't do in a public place, don't do it on the airplane. I guess some people simply don't think about the impact that their action has on others around them
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:08 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I have seen worse. On a flight to London several years ago, the man sitting next to me took off his shoes and socks and started picking his toes.

Then there was the young woman I sat next to DTW-MDW, who was on her way to a job interview. She spent the entire hour putting on makeup, painting her nails, and putting on perfume. Ugh.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:55 am

Programs: NW Gold; lifetime WorldClubs
I knew there was a good reason why they banned nail clippers from flights!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC-P
On a flight last summer from ATH-FRA, the British man sitting across the aisle took my boyfriend's newspaper when he fell asleep and the paper fell to the ground. Then, the man later asked for the rest of the sections of the paper once my boyfriend was awake. We were done so we gave them to him. The man reads them, then puts them under his bare, sockless feet, like a foot rest or something. It was both rude and disgusting!

Also this summer, from YYZ-LGA, a woman was putting on nail polish. Someone complained, because after finishing only one hand (gasp!!), the FA had her put it away.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:08 pm
Cba

Programs: NW, CO
Chewing tabacco

On a flight to Brazil last month I was sitting next to, or across, from tabacco chewers (both DCA-IAH and the long leg of IAH-GRU) who spent a good deal of the flights spitting into the cup they kept handy in the front seat pocket. Truly obnoxious.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I can slightly beat Sarah's -- pax behind me took off shoes and rested bare feet on the end of my armrest.

But nothing is worse than changing a diaper on the seat, which I've seen more than once.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I don't think Hobbits are that disgusting. I mean, sure, the hairy feet and so forth, but they're usually amusing folk.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:49 pm

Worse than the diaper change on the seat, is using the tray table as a changing table! I can't believe how many times I've had to tactfully say "There is a changing table in the lavatory". To which they reply "Oh No, this is fine". Ummmm.....people eat there! I have actually been told "I don't care!" Sheesh
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
My last flight I was seated next to a Japanese couple who proceeded to eat an entire bag of fish jerky. The entire section of the plane smelled like a fish market for the rest of the flight.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I spent 12 hours leg-to-leg in Economy with a guy who needed to, how shall I put this, "re-arrange the boys" every couple of minutes.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:14 pm

Faflys Top Three most disgusting visions of passenger behavior.

These are the three most vile things I have been 'treated' to over the years while working in the aisle on flights...

3.Every time someone decides to walk through the aisle, cross the galley and go to the bathroom... IN BARE FEET. Hello people, heard of disease? Aaaachhh!

2. Passengers who rifle through the seat pockets, fasten their seatbelts, open/close their windowshades, then eat with their bacteria-laced hands - many even licking their fingers.

and the number one most vile thing I've seen,

1. Blankets - don't even make me go there. Suffice to say, many atrocities are committed daily on those things, and unless you see one wrapped in it's original plastic - stay far, far away. Better to freeze!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:16 pm
BCH

Ha! On a flight from Barcelona a messy and unclean-appearing 50-something American man was seated to my right. And a 20-yr old Spanish woman was seated on his right. He started to sweet-talk her and ordering all the booze that the FA would bring. A couple of hours later, they were kissing, and a couple of hours after that his hands were going back and forth under her skirt!!! They were both oblivious to the fact that they were in public, and in tight quarters with other passangers. Then, it was her turn to return the favor, and no amount of "Ahem"s coming from me distracted them from their business. And FAs did nothing to stop them.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
At least that makes a good story, BCH.

For me the worst is fingernail painting... people get nauseous from the fumes, which are amplified in a closed aircraft cabin... and man, have I seen women fly off the handle when they're asked politely to stop (by pax or FAs).
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
I spent 12 hours leg-to-leg in Economy with a guy who needed to, how shall I put this, "re-arrange the boys" every couple of minutes.
What is "re-arrange the boys"? Enlight me please...

Did he have a lot of boys traveling with him?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.