FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Seat Help! Mileage run on a 744 and A332 - Also help with SIN airport. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/941369-seat-help-mileage-run-744-a332-also-help-sin-airport.html)

StuartMI Apr 8, 2009 2:51 pm

Seat Help! Mileage run on a 744 and A332 - Also help with SIN airport.

So I am doing a mileage run as follows:

DTW>MSP>NRT>SIN
SIN>NRT>MSP>DTW

The MSP>NRT>MSP segments are on a 744 and the NRT>SIN>NRT segments are on a A332.

For the outbound, I am in:
04E on the 744
04B on the 332

For the return I am in:
04B on the 332
10B on the 744

I've read the notes about 10A and 77A however I don't particularly care for window seats. In addition I couldn't seem to find a thread that was dedicated to the A332, so I'm asking here.

Also, with regard to this itinerary, am I going to need any sort of visa, etc? I won't even be leaving the airport in SIN, just doing a turn-around and coming back.

Lastly, is there a WC in SIN and more importantly -- is there a shower in it? :)

Thank you!

SchmutzigMSP Apr 8, 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by StuartMI (Post 11549945)
In addition I couldn't seem to find a thread that was dedicated to the A332, so I'm asking here.

Maybe I misread, but I didn't actually see a question... ;)

Originally Posted by StuartMI (Post 11549945)
Also, with regard to this itinerary, am I going to need any sort of visa, etc? I won't even be leaving the airport in SIN, just doing a turn-around and coming back.

You won't need a visa. You shouldn't need anything other than your onward itinerary/boarding pass. There is a SkyTeam partner lounge (not a WorldClub or Sky Club) and I believe from reports it's now back to the Skyview Lounge instead of the Thai lounge. There are showers at the Skyview Lounge.

StuartMI Apr 8, 2009 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP (Post 11550121)
Maybe I misread, but I didn't actually see a question... ;)

I'm sorry!

I was wondering if those seat selections that I picked are decent? There wasn't anything I found specific to the 332 so I didn't know if anyone had any other recommendations on that one.

Thank you for the tip on the showers! I'll need one! :)

SchmutzigMSP Apr 8, 2009 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by StuartMI (Post 11550130)
I'm sorry!

I was wondering if those seat selections that I picked are decent? There wasn't anything I found specific to the 332 so I didn't know if anyone had any other recommendations on that one.

No problem. Just wasn't sure what you were wondering.

With 4B on the 332, you're going to potentially going to have people bumping you going back/forth the galley or to stretch, and potentially noise/light coming from the galley when you're trying to sleep.

For the 744, I'd really recommend the upper-deck if you can get it. 77B or 77J (both aisles) would be great options if you can get one.

kkua Apr 8, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm sorry!

Aah! I was just going to post a trip report on my recent 10-day-16-flight-segment-9-city journey. Here's what you want to know:

1) SIN airport lounge: they've changed lounges to SkyView instead of the awful and out of the way TG lounge. It's closer to the terminal 1 arrival/departure gate D42 for NW19/20. Lounge open for NW20 passengers only at 0300h thru 0545h. There's free WiFi and enough food options to make a meal out of it.

2) Shower facilities: if you arrive NRT early, take a shower at the WorldClub by the gates in the teens. The NRT WorldClub in the 20-something gates do not have shower rooms. In SIN, the SkyView lounge has 2 shower rooms. All first-come-first-serve basis. You can alternatively opt to use the transit hotel's gym/shower facilities for a small fee.

3) Onward boarding pass: you have to go to passport/security screening at TransferCounter D. There, they can print out your boarding pass without clearing customs/immigrations. So, in effect, your passport will not prove you did a mileage run to SIN. You do not have to leave the airport premises.

4) Seats: my favorites are 80JK and 12JK on the B744 (both farthest away from lavatory odors); 1AB (first served) and 5JK (easy exit) on the A332. You may get an occasional plane change to A333. I avoid row 4 on the B744 because I'm superstitious (4 rhymes with death in Cantonese) and it's in the conical nose section.

Have a fun MR.

StuartMI Apr 8, 2009 6:36 pm

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Nor...ng_747-400.php

shows that 12JK on the 744 has a limited recline. 80JK is taken both ways.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Nor...irbus_A332.php

shows that there is no 5JK on the 332, so I assume you mean HJ. Seatguru also says that that area can be noisy and people tend to gather there due to the extra space.

Are either of these claims accurate?

StuartMI Apr 9, 2009 1:12 am

This will also be my first time in WBC.

I have a question about the "control" unit that appears to be on the inside of the seat on the right hand side. Does this detach and come out on a cord so you can look at it and use the controls like a television remote control? The position looks a little awkward so I'm worried about wrenching my head sideways to try to read whats on the buttons.

Also, I'm afraid of bumping the thing while I sleep with the side of my leg/thigh and switching something on or calling the flight attendant. If it's on a cord, can you extend the cord and just set it on the armrest or some such thing?

Rigmedic Apr 9, 2009 1:53 am

Originally Posted by StuartMI (Post 11552656)
This will also be my first time in WBC.

I have a question about the "control" unit that appears to be on the inside of the seat on the right hand side. Does this detach and come out on a cord so you can look at it and use the controls like a television remote control? The position looks a little awkward so I'm worried about wrenching my head sideways to try to read whats on the buttons.

Also, I'm afraid of bumping the thing while I sleep with the side of my leg/thigh and switching something on or calling the flight attendant. If it's on a cord, can you extend the cord and just set it on the armrest or some such thing?

The control does remove and extend out on a cable. You should have no problem moving out of your way for sleep.

slippahs Apr 9, 2009 2:22 am

I'm sorry!

We have this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...d-threads.html (available in the READ ME announcement on the forum's main page) :)

Please continue all A332 seating assignment thoughts there to keep things in one nice place.

For the 744, we have the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...threads-2.html thread.

kkua Apr 9, 2009 6:42 am

Originally Posted by StuartMI (Post 11551162)
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Nor...ng_747-400.php

shows that 12JK on the 744 has a limited recline. 80JK is taken both ways.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Nor...irbus_A332.php

shows that there is no 5JK on the 332, so I assume you mean HJ. Seatguru also says that that area can be noisy and people tend to gather there due to the extra space.

Are either of these claims accurate?

As far as napping/sleeping is concerned, you should sleep on MSP-NRT, nap on SIN-NRT, sleep on NRT-MSP. If you sleep too much on the NRT-SIN, you won't be able to rest once you land and turn back to NRT. If you happen to have an empty flight up front, snag extra blankets (new brown DL comforters) and use it as bed liners. I had the luxury of sleeping on top of 4 layers of fluffy blankets.

Most crew activity happens in the front and aft galley. The middle galley is often devoid of mid-flight activity.

The controls are recessed on seat below armrest. Don't worry about using it. The WBC screens are touch-sensitive.

StuartMI Apr 18, 2009 10:28 pm

kkua,

Thank you so much for your advice.

I have a few more questions now that my trip is fast approaching.

1: After my arrival in NRT, what sort of passport control/customs do I need to clear? Is a US Passport sufficient? I have transited through other airports overseas, for example Dublin, where after you cleared passport control, you were exited all the way to baggage claim and if you had a connecting flight, you had to re-clear security all over again. Is the same true here?

It would be nice if once you exited the flight you had your passport stamped, and then were dumped out in the secure area of the airport such that you could then stroll over to your connecting gate.

2: After arrival in SIN, much the same. It looks like NW uses gate D42 in Terminal 1 exclusively -- does this sound accurate? Same question as #1 though. Since I'm doing a turn and flying back, how does passport control work here? Where do I end up?

3: I'm wondering where I should grab a shower. I have two schools of thought. Grab one in Tokyo each time I pass through, or take a single shower in Singapore when I arrive. Which is easier? On the outbound I have a 1h 20m layover at NRT, at the turn a 4h 30m layover in SIN, and then a 2h 10m layover at NRT on the return. I'm guessing trying to shower at NRT on the outbound is a bad idea with such little time.

4: Where is the location of the airport clubs/lounges in proximity to the gates (or on the other side of passport control) -- easy to get to? No transiting terminals? I assume both the clubs at NRT and SIN have showers.

5: It doesn't look like the club at SIN is a "Delta/NWA club" -- do I still have access to the club with my NW WorldClub card, or will I need to pay for it?

6: What do I tell customs, if asked, is my excuse for travel. Does "Mileage Run" actually work? I just don't want to raise any issues.

Sorry for all the questions but I've never transited either of these airports, nor had flights this long before -- naturally I'm a little concerned (but still excited).

Seats are now:

MSPNRT - 79B
NRTSIN - 01C
SINNRT - 01C
NRTMSP - 73A

Thank you all so much.

mrcimino1 Apr 18, 2009 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by StuartMI (Post 11605433)
kkua,

Thank you so much for your advice.

I have a few more questions now that my trip is fast approaching.

1: After my arrival in NRT, what sort of passport control/customs do I need to clear? Is a US Passport sufficient? I have transited through other airports overseas, for example Dublin, where after you cleared passport control, you were exited all the way to baggage claim and if you had a connecting flight, you had to re-clear security all over again. Is the same true here?

It would be nice if once you exited the flight you had your passport stamped, and then were dumped out in the secure area of the airport such that you could then stroll over to your connecting gate.

2: After arrival in SIN, much the same. It looks like NW uses gate D42 in Terminal 1 exclusively -- does this sound accurate? Same question as #1 though. Since I'm doing a turn and flying back, how does passport control work here? Where do I end up?

3: I'm wondering where I should grab a shower. I have two schools of thought. Grab one in Tokyo each time I pass through, or take a single shower in Singapore when I arrive. Which is easier? On the outbound I have a 1h 20m layover at NRT, at the turn a 4h 30m layover in SIN, and then a 2h 10m layover at NRT on the return. I'm guessing trying to shower at NRT on the outbound is a bad idea with such little time.

4: Where is the location of the airport clubs/lounges in proximity to the gates (or on the other side of passport control) -- easy to get to? No transiting terminals? I assume both the clubs at NRT and SIN have showers.

5: It doesn't look like the club at SIN is a "Delta/NWA club" -- do I still have access to the club with my NW WorldClub card, or will I need to pay for it?

6: What do I tell customs, if asked, is my excuse for travel. Does "Mileage Run" actually work? I just don't want to raise any issues.

Sorry for all the questions but I've never transited either of these airports, nor had flights this long before -- naturally I'm a little concerned (but still excited).

Seats are now:

MSPNRT - 79B
NRTSIN - 01C
SINNRT - 01C
NRTMSP - 73A

Thank you all so much.

Here's a few more answers:

1. Sorry, no such luck on getting your passport stamped. At NRT you never have an opportunity. Upon arrival, you either proceed to Passport Control and Customs to enter the country, or you proceed through a security checkpoint and then are dumped back into the secure portion of the airport for your connecting flight.

2. Never have been to SIN but based on a previous response it sounds like you can go to a Transfer Desk upon arrival without ever leaving the Secure Area. After you get your BP you can proceed directly to the Lounge, never seeing a Customs or Immigration official there.

3. With the longest layover in SIN, that seems to be the logical place for a shower. Besides, you can use the limited time in NRT Lounges to play with the "beer machines" and be a lot happier!! If you have never seen them, you will find out what I mean when you are there!!!!

4. In NRT, the Clubs are near the gates. As stated, the best one is the newest one near gates 10-19. The other one, on the upper level above the Satellite 2 gates (20-29) is OK but not as nice as the newest one.

5. Access to the Lounge at SIN will be with your WBC BP, not your WC membership.

6. Yes, Mileage Run will work, but it is probably better to keep a low profile and simply mark "Pleasure Trip" on your Customs Form. If asked, just say that you went to spend a few hours visiting with a "friend" in SIN, then turned around and came home. With nothing but a carry on bag for "emergencies" you probably will not be profiled as a potential "smuggler" and should sail through US Customs at MSP upon return. It appears you will never see any other Customs officials during your entire MR.

Can we assume that you will be earning the Triple EQM's for this one? ;)

As for seats, I prefer the center C and G seats on the A330, so that no one has to climb over me. On the 744, I prefer Row 4 in the center for the same reason, or any aisle seat with an open window seat next to me if that is not possible. Remember that you can always "buy" the window seat next to you for a friend, and then refund the ticket after you return home. Sometimes that works, but no guarantees! And as you probably have anticipated, your Body Clock will be screwed up for days after this MR!

bostonbali Apr 19, 2009 8:18 am

I just came back from SIN last week. I arrived from BKK (on TG) at 23:00, and went to the Transfer Desk (D area) to get my NWA BP. Unfortunately, NW doesn't open its Transfer Desk until 3 AM.

This means that you will NOT be able to get your BP OR Lounge Pass until 3 AM.

If you decide to leave the airside area, you can go into town, but you won't be able to get back inside the Airside portion of Changi Airport until NW's desks open up at 3 AM.

Oh, and never lie about a MR. Just tell the customs officer you are flying to earn miles, explain how many miles you'll earn, etc. Coming up with stories about visiting friends that you can't substantiate can lead you to troubles...

ovenman Apr 19, 2009 8:36 am

Originally Posted by StuartMI (Post 11605433)

If you do exit airside at Changi Airport in Singapore (i.e. go through Singapore immigrations), you will have to fill in a Singapore arrival/departure card. On it, your checked reason for visiting Singapore will be 'Transit'. For your Address in Singapore, write 'Transit'. Entering/leaving Singapore will be no more complicated than that, no grilling from immigrations as one expects to receive entering the US. My last entry into Singapore was for all of twenty minutes (connecting from an AirAsia flight to a KLM flight that required checking luggage)! No hassles whatsoever.

vsop Apr 19, 2009 11:45 am

I arrived in Singapore just about an hour ago and I'm now sitting in the Hotel Transit Lounge as its much nicer then the Skyview and as a Priority Pass Member I have access to about 5 diffrent lounges in SIN. They have a nice Buffet at the Transit Lounge and Free Wifi & Showers.

The World/Sky Club next to my departure gate in NRT was very nice, but I did not bother taking a shower there as I rather do it in SIN as I am spending the day here in SIN and flying out on tomorrows flight.