Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Delta ruin NWA World Clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Well at least now there are some reports that some DL CRC -- or "SkyClub" -- is going to be switching to free internet for all visitors to the lounge. ^^

As as part of this transition into "SkyClubs", hopefully this will be standard across all (or at least most all) of the CRCs.

A sign in the BNA CRC states that T-Mobile disappears on 4/17 and WiFi will be free thereafter.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
No Calling clubs or Service Center

One thing I just realized - they don't publish phone numbers for the club locations nor does DL have a Club service center you can call like the WC. The NW center (which is closing 4/17) couldn't supply a phone number to the DL club at DFW (wanted to see if they can handle my renewal).

I asked what to do if you want to reserve a conf room - she said the only way to contact them was email.

That's annoying.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Although I let my WC membership lapse in February due to the fact that I'm flying less this year, I have a somewhat-related lounge question:

What will happen in fairly large cities that don't have a WC/CRC/SkyClub? Case in point: DEN. I would use the CO PC there regularly when flying in and out of the city. DL closed their CRC there a few years ago. Any plans to open a new lounge there?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by pmaddock
That's annoying.
+1. The small things really add up...

Originally Posted by n301dp
Any plans to open a new lounge there?
I wouldn't bet on it in this economy with airlines slashing capacity.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Which DL CRC offers self-serve alcohol? Are you sure you werent visiting a former NW lounge? Would be good news IMO if self-serve.
FRA. A little out of the way in Terminal 2, down by the British Airways lounge (I hope they don't axe it for the other club- this one has showers and works as a proper arrivals lounge for an international flight). And no, it's definitely a Crown Room.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
FRA. A little out of the way in Terminal 2, down by the British Airways lounge (I hope they don't axe it for the other club- this one has showers and works as a proper arrivals lounge for an international flight). And no, it's definitely a Crown Room.
The FRA, MUC, and GRU clubs are the only three in the system that offer self-serve alcohol I believe...I thought you were in a domestic lounge, sorry

Does anyone know what the snack offerings will be in the new SkyClub? Morning bagels and yogurt? All-day carrots a la NW? or just the 4-7pm DL olives, hummus, crackers, cheese, etc. and morning muffins and yogurt?

Im surprised there has been no official communication of the new SkyClub plans re: Internet, food, drinks, locations, etc...seems like that was a major missing piece of the "new name" announcement.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
you can use the FRA CRC as an arrivals lounge will have to try this next time.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1M, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Locations outside of the US

Is it my imagination or does the drop-down of choices when you select Delta SkyClub member (On the Delta SkyClub information page) option remove access to some lounges in other countries unless you are flying Business?

For example, select Delta SkyClub member and there are no London lounges listed. Change the drop-down to say Business Elite or Skyteam Elite Premium Cabin Passenger, lounges in London airports now show up.

That is a huge devaluation of the World Club in my book. I don't always travel WBC and have relied on my World Club card for lounge access.

Anyone else reading their charts the same way?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: NWA Gold, DL, AA, AS
I'm at the MSP World Club right now. The lovely ladies here have helped me so much in the past that I stopped by for a chat. I just renewed my membership for 3 years and actually got a better deal than what was offered through the discount email. Support these helpful folks by joining or reupping at a World Club in person - these people are here to help us, and you might even get a better deal.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by tillicent
I'm at the MSP World Club right now. The lovely ladies here have helped me so much in the past that I stopped by for a chat. I just renewed my membership for 3 years and actually got a better deal than what was offered through the discount email. Support these helpful folks by joining or reupping at a World Club in person - these people are here to help us, and you might even get a better deal.
Got 2 questions to you and the 'forum':
1. Any discount code from your experience we should mention?
2. I've heard a rumor off and on that non-hub stations get a better rewards for new memberships and renewals than hub stations. Its consistently denied by the WC people but its a persistent rumor. Anyone know if this is just an old tale or not?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
A sign in the BNA CRC states that T-Mobile disappears on 4/17 and WiFi will be free thereafter.

Interesting co-incidence - that's the day that the WC service center closes. I wonder if DL found a legal loophole to get out of the T-Mobile deal as part of the renaming. If so I hope that they do this cleanly. If it involves a system switch or something T-mobile disagrees with things could get messy.

Either way I fly next on 4/18 so I'll be interested to see if the DFW CRC is 'free' or not. I'm sorry to say I'm betting the system will be down due to a botched switch-over. (I'm a systems guy and have long learned to err is human - to really screw up you need a computer.)
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Im surprised there has been no official communication of the new SkyClub plans re: Internet, food, drinks, locations, etc...seems like that was a major missing piece of the "new name" announcement.
Agreed. It seems this was simply done as a quick and dirty name change rather than a brand relaunch. The online club listings on delta.com are a mess (and inaccurate) and the communications have been almost non-existent. Perhaps someone got the cart before the horse in this one. Perhaps too eager to "rid" the system of NWA signage?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pmaddock
2. I've heard a rumor off and on that non-hub stations get a better rewards for new memberships and renewals than hub stations. Its consistently denied by the WC people but its a persistent rumor. Anyone know if this is just an old tale or not?
I dont have an official answer, but it seems that it would make sense if renewing at a non-hub club that it would carry more "weight" whether $$-wise or just PR-wise with management. The more "business" or proof of revenue from these outstations, the more likely they are to maintain a lounge themselves. Management will surely look at "where" the money is coming from and keep lounge locations in those places. IMO, it is far better to renew at non-hub stations than at hubs, which would always have a club if they exist. I think a strong network of clubs is very important and this contributes to it.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:05 pm

If it doesn't matter to you where you physically renew your membership, it does help that particular club show strong numbers if they're ever considering closing, limiting hours/staff, etc. (or on the flip side, lengthening open hours, doing renovations, etc.)

The hub locations are for the most part going to get their fair share of renewals/new memberships, so I try and renew at some of the smaller, more downtrodden ones whenever possible. Clubs I have signed-up at or renewed at include MKE, HNL, and DCA.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tillicent
I just renewed my membership for 3 years and actually got a better deal than what was offered through the discount email.
Can you elaborate on this? Did they offer you a larger discount than the 20% offer? I'm considering re-upping for three years and wondering if there's any reason to do it in the club vs online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.