Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles > Northwest WorldPerks (Discontinued Program) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 22, 08, 10:21 am   #1

Programs: DL/NW: Plat; NW WC (DL SC): Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
$160ish flights BUF-West Coast, how to maximize from DTW?

NWA has some terrific flights to LAX, SEA, SFO, etc from BUF - probably as a reaction to WN's BUF sales.
I'm tempted to fly a few of these early next year (great way to start off 2009), but am trying to figure out a reasonable way to get to BUF. DTW-BUF flights are too expensive.

The only option I see is driving the 4.5 hours through Canada, which, while doable, isn't much fun.

Do other DTW-based FT'ers have an idea/strategy on how to get to BUF from DTW to make these MR flights worthwhile?
Rule #1 of Mistake Fares: Don't call the airline till the fare is long gone.
Old Oct 22, 08, 10:37 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Can you get to MDW? $40 each way between BUF & MDW.

Might be better to focus on getting somewhere else easily whence you can do MR's to BUF rather than from BUF.
Old Oct 22, 08, 10:45 am   #3

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott, Hertz#1Gold
While we're on the Chicago train...
I'm likely going to be doing a ORD-MSP-LAX-MSP-DTW-BUF-DTW-MSP-LAX-MSP-ORD run. It's under $300, and nets about 9200 EQM.
Old Oct 22, 08, 11:22 am   #4

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, DL Platinum/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbali View Post
Do other DTW-based FT'ers have an idea/strategy on how to get to BUF from DTW to make these MR flights worthwhile?
Boat across Lake Erie. But you would want to do it before winter ice sets in.
Old Oct 22, 08, 12:16 pm   #5

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
While we're on the Chicago train...
I'm likely going to be doing a ORD-MSP-LAX-MSP-DTW-BUF-DTW-MSP-LAX-MSP-ORD run. It's under $300, and nets about 9200 EQM.
I may join you. Are you doing the trip with two itineraries or you can net the two into one? Cause each fare is under $200 and not eligible for pk161.
Old Oct 22, 08, 12:28 pm   #6

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott, Hertz#1Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
I may join you. Are you doing the trip with two itineraries or you can net the two into one? Cause each fare is under $200 and not eligible for pk161.
You can join them into one very easily. I have a pk161 sitting at home...I'm REALLY hoping that this is still around when I get to it!
Old Oct 22, 08, 12:52 pm   #7

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
You can join them into one very easily. I have a pk161 sitting at home...I'm REALLY hoping that this is still around when I get to it!
I'm going to redeem another one then. I can redeem for 5 more this year.
Old Oct 22, 08, 1:00 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
I'm going to redeem another one then. I can redeem for 5 more this year.
Shoot...I got my PK's mixed up. I meant that I have a PK241 lying around at home.

I was thinking about using the PK161, but in the rules it says that it can not be combined with a promo fare, which this is.
If you decide to use the 161, and it works, let me know because I'd rather use that!