Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Churning NW Credit Cards?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Churning NW Credit Cards?

I churned a NW credit card a year or so ago, anyone know if it's possible to churn another? How often will they let you churn? Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:17 am

Yes, it is possible. Churning has been discussed many times in FT. Here are some helpful links:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...+card+churning
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...+card+churning
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:20 pm
In memoriam

Just to share my efforts to get a new NW US Bank Signature credit card which ended in failure. A caution to others?--or a plea for help on a better approach?

A week ago I applied on line for the card, lured by the 25K bonus miles. Got an email a couple of days later which says that I was denied, reasons to follow. Letter comes today saying I am denied because I already have the max number of U.S. Bank CCs. Not so, had a couple up 'til six months ago (one biz, one personal) but closed them when annual fee came due.

Call today to number on letter, lady says the letter is not accurate, I was turned down because I had the same card and I closed the account, I can reopen the old accounts, but they will not open a new account.

Leaving aside the evident violation of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (reason for turndown of credit app is mandated to be accurate), this doesn't give any incentive to reopen account in view of other, better offers from other banks and airlines.

I note that this appears to have nothing to do with the on-going credit squeeze.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Closed cards are very rarely "closed." They just sit there. If they are opening new accounts when you have "closed" old accounts they were just not paying attention, or someone's bonus was tied to opening new accounts. The current banking situation is causing them now to watch the accounts like a hawk. Which is waht they should be doing anyway. Churning should not get past the auditors.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
Many credit card companies will only reopen closed accounts for the first year they are closed. After 1 year you can open a new account without the "old closed" account being considered.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:15 pm

US Bank is the worst of the worst. I hope they get dumped after the merger.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Just got my Delta AmEx in the mail today - hope they stick around.

Only drawback to the AmEx is that it isn't accepted as widely as Visa. Still, AmEx C.S. beats US Bank in my experiences.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:34 pm

I have churned both the business and personal NWA cards on an annual basis with no problems.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:06 pm
In memoriam

Okay, so if I wait until a year has passed since I canceled the biz and pers Signature NW card I had, will I likely get two new accounts on two new applications? With 25K bonus on each?

Might be moot if US Bank closes its NW affinity card due to the Delta merger before I can get my apps in and granted.

By the way, apparently the bonus offer has dropped to 20K, at least on the obvious place on the NWA site. Is there a link for a friend to use to get the 25K bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.