Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Companions and Standby

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Platinum Companions and Standby

Well, I searched and found nothing but discussions about the Platinum companion upgrades, and that's not what I'm looking for.

Saturday, I (Platinum) will be traveling with a non-elite companion. They are on my reservation (same PNR) and we've both already been upgraded for all legs. Not concerned with upgrades.

I am wondering about standing by for an earlier flight, though. In the past, many times I've been booked on a late afternoon flight and have been able to depart earlier, so I've gone to the gate/WorldClub and asked to be put on the standby list for either coach/first class just to try to get out earlier. It's worked marvelously. Now I'm traveling with a companion and will likely be facing the same scenario (our flight is for 4pm, but could be at the airport by 6am to standby for that flight to get home earlier). Will my companion have the same priority that I do for getting an available seat, or does that status parity only exist for EUA upgrades?

Any insight into this general topic or our specific situation would be appreciated.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: NW, MR SE,
I think from what I've read here and my my own experience, you and you companion are at the head of the list for the battlefield upgrade. I don't think you two will be ahead of the SE who did OLCI at 23:59 mark. I don't know if anyone who does OLCI at 9:59 mark will be ahead of you. That's something you'll have to ask and find out. I haven't tried to standby that early. Good luck.

HJ
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hyunja
I think from what I've read here and my my own experience, you and you companion are at the head of the list for the battlefield upgrade.
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Saturday, I (Platinum) will be traveling with a non-elite companion. They are on my reservation (same PNR) and we've both already been upgraded for all legs. Not concerned with upgrades.
Sorry, maybe I wrote too much as an OP, but I thought I made it clear that I'm not asking about upgrades. I'm only asking about standing by for an earlier flight. As a Plat traveling alone, I've had great success because I go straight to the top of the list for an earlier flight. Will my Plat companion have the same position/priority on an earlier flight as I do?

Or, to put it more broadly, has anyone here (Plat) tried to standby for an earlier flight with a non-elite companion as well? Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:22 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Sorry, maybe I wrote too much as an OP, but I thought I made it clear that I'm not asking about upgrades. I'm only asking about standing by for an earlier flight. As a Plat traveling alone, I've had great success because I go straight to the top of the list for an earlier flight. Will my Plat companion have the same position/priority on an earlier flight as I do?

Or, to put it more broadly, has anyone here (Plat) tried to standby for an earlier flight with a non-elite companion as well? Thanks.
My understanding is that since you are on the same PNR, you will both be treated as Plat for the two standby seats. Essentially, you have your Plat status and since someone else is in your PNR, they won't be seperated from you. It never hurts to double check at the gate or in the club with an agent, but you should be good to go. If there is an issue, they can force your companion higher on the list manually, but it shouldn't be since you're linked in the PNR.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:27 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
You will be treated the same. The big issue is are their two seats upfront.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, folks. I feel a little more confident now that we should have no problem.

I'm not concerned with sitting up front. If we standby on an earlier flight, I'll take a seat, any seat.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If we standby on an earlier flight, I'll take a seat, any seat.
Toilet seat?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Standby priority is not a published elite benefit. Is there any official information about it? Does elite status trump fare class or time you are added to the list?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
Standby priority is not a published elite benefit. Is there any official information about it? Does elite status trump fare class or time you are added to the list?
Yes it is.
http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/benefits.html
http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/benefits.html

In my anecdotal experience, my Plat status will put me at the top of the waitlist (well, with the other Plats at the top anyway). After status, it goes by time added to the list. Fare class has absolutely no bearing for standby on NW, as far as I know/recall.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Toilet seat?
Considering that it would give me more elbow/shoulder room than a "B" or "E" seat, sometimes yes.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
There is nothing on that page about standby priority. However, if you click the 2006 Elite Benefits Guide link, it does show "Priority Airport Standby" as a Skyteam elite benefit and says all Skyteam elites have priority over all other passengers standing by for a NW flight. Presumably plats would have highest priority within that group.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
There is nothing on that page about standby priority. However, if you click the 2006 Elite Benefits Guide link, it does show "Priority Airport Standby" as a Skyteam elite benefit and says all Skyteam elites have priority over all other passengers standing by for a NW flight. Presumably plats would have highest priority within that group.
Sorry about that -- when I said "Yes, it is." I was only referring to your first sentence not the whole thing. I meant that it is a published elite benefit. They don't break down the order of priority in any written materials, but if you catch a GA on a light day and ask them they'll confirm that status matters and fare class doesn't for waitlist priority. First status and then time on the waitlist. My experience confirms this. Hope that helps.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
First, how do many of you know that the companion will be on stand-by priority as SchmutzipMSP?

Let's also take it a step further, what if the companion weren't on the PNR? Could a plat (or GE) conceivably get themself and their companion at the top of the list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.