Wiki Posts
Search

December - Trondheim or Tromso?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF
December - Trondheim or Tromso?

Which would you recommend for viewing the Aurora Borealis as well as being a nice 3-4 night holiday? I'll be flying from London. Tromso is a little harder to get to(needs a transit in OSL) so I'm interested to know if its worth the extra effort to get there. Norwegian flies direct to Trondheim from Stansted.

Thanks!!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 6:32 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Rarely saw the aurora borealis in my twelve years in Trondheim, but wouldn't really count on them in Tromsų either. But a less small chance to see them in TOS. But TRD is a more interesting city. Tough choice, but you are likely to be disappointed if the aurora is your main point for coming!

I'd go for TRD!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: Eurobonus (*G)
Originally Posted by tshep
Which would you recommend for viewing the Aurora Borealis as well as being a nice 3-4 night holiday? I'll be flying from London. Tromso is a little harder to get to(needs a transit in OSL) so I'm interested to know if its worth the extra effort to get there. Norwegian flies direct to Trondheim from Stansted.

Thanks!!
In my five years in Trondheim, I saw Aurora Borealis two times. Maybe you could take the flight to TRD and then the train to Roeros (Rųros). Remember I was there on Easter hoilday once,and could see Aurora Borealis almost every night. It is usually rain (or snow) in Trondheim in December, so that would make it impossible to see it, even if it should appear above the clouds.

Cheers
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, MH Enrich
Thanks for the replies!! My trip will be postponed to late March. Hoping that I'll have a better chance to see the Aurora Borealis then.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by wzwjon
Thanks for the replies!! My trip will be postponed to late March. Hoping that I'll have a better chance to see the Aurora Borealis then.
I would choose Tromso for northern lights any time. You can see them quite often there, actually most of the time when the sky is clear and the temperature drops below 0. You'll likely to have a nice, stable winter in March in Tromso.

Trondheim is a nice city, but Tromso has a much more exotic, "Arctic" feel to it.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Hi guys, bumping this old thread because my question is pretty much the same.

I want to do a short (maybe 3 days) but romantic trip to see the norhtern lights in either late Dec or early Jan. Tromso seems to be the best bet (though I'm worried about the comments concerning rain/snow during that time of year).

Aside from the viewing I think we're pretty much interested in relaxing, maybe a spa day or something. I've seen photos of a hotel that has angled windows so you can watch from the bed - that sounds very cool - but good info seems hard to find.

Can anyone recommend an itinerary and accomodations? Anything else we should plan to do? We'll be traveling from BCN.

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:06 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
Tromsų would probably be your best choice, certainly if you can book the entire trip from BCN on one ticket.

There's not much danger of rain there at that time of year because of the cold (Trondheim is much further south and has a milder climate), but you may not have a clear sky. That's the perenniel problem for tourists coming to see the midnight sun as well as the northern lights.

Tromsų is also famous for its nightlife, trying to live up to the nickname of "Paris of the north".

There are other smaller towns in Northern Norway that arguably are more romantic, but smaller airports make for fewer flights, and they also suspend operations because of the weather from time time. If you go to Tromsų you're pretty much guaranteed to be able leave on the right day. Might be useful.

I'm afraid I can't help you with spa or hotel. I've only been there for conferences, and we staid at the Amalie Hotel. I didn't like it. My only advice would be to look for a hotel by the waterfront, those should have the best views of the sky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.