Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

drive then fly for Norway/Western fjords?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something

me and Mrs ljwobker are doing 5 days in Norway in late June. We arrive in OSL approx noon on Monday, thinking about monday/tuesday in oslo doing the city thing. Then maybe the train to Bergen -- is the train ride pretty, or should we just fly and save the time? Once in Bergen, I was trying to come up with a way to rent a car and drive north along the fjords up to Aalesund and then fly back to oslo for a sunday afternoon flight home -- but having trouble finding a car rental that will allow a one-way from bergen to aalesund. Anyone have suggestions as to what other things to see in this area, and/or what might make the trip easier?
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"Then maybe the train to Bergen -- is the train ride pretty, or should we just fly and save the time?"

Yes, it is very scenic. Take the train, by all means.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:56 pm

Think twice about driving along fjords -- you'll need to pay attention many things beside the scenery on the opposite site when driving along narrow, twisty mountain roads, and distances can be much longer than they appear to be on the map. A cruise down one is a much more relaxing way, with better views to boot, because you can see ahead and both sides as well.

For Bergen-Alesund, take the Hurtigruten cruise, which is an easy overnight trip with great views when arriving in the morning.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:22 am
fcl

Programs: EBS
Have you considered doing Norway in a nutshell on the way to Bergen from Oslo?

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/visartikkel.asp?art=101
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:51 am

Ditto what fcl said. Check out the Norway in a Nutshell tour. It seems tailor made your your itinerary.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:14 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
The drive from Bergen to Alesund takes about 7 hours on some pretty appaling roads, there are also 3-4 ferry crossings, so it's an expensive trip, I'd take the Hurtigruten instead.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:24 am

Programs: QANTAS FF, SKYWARDS GOLD
Or, as an alternative to the Hurtigruten, there is a daily bus from Bergen to Alesund which then lets you enjoy the scenery which is pretty good. Then from Alesund you can do a round trip (again by bus & fiord steamer) to the Geiranger fiord at about 1/10th of the cost of the normal tourist package and finally return to Oslo by bussing to Andalsnes & taking the Dove line train back to Oslo - almost the equal to the Myrdal/Flam line in terms of scenery.
Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.