Wiki Posts
Search

40 minutes CPH connection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
40 minutes CPH connection

Flying DOH-CPH-SXF next month, Qatar Airways to EasyJet. QR has moved the flight back, now leaving me only 40 minutes to connect on separate tickets. What do you think about my chances of making this connection with no checked baggage?

Flying in QR J so I should be able to get off the plane quickly.

Time change was 1 hour 20 minutes so not quite the two hours required for a reroute to TXL with QR.

Looks like EasyJet uses remote stands at CPH, so I'm probably SOL.

Last edited by Pochama; Sep 14, 2017 at 11:22 pm
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I think you're in trouble here. You may get off the QR aircraft fairly quickly but you will have to pass security, walk to the Easy gate (which is in the 10 minute range even if you move fast), pass Schengen passport entry either before or after the walk (after, I think), and get to Easy 20 minutes before departure. Assuming the gate is the F gates as with most other Easyjet (and today's CPH-SXF) then they are not remote gates in the bus sense, but are remote in the sense of a long way away.

Good luck if you try this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the advice. I decided to play it safe and change the EasyJet flight to the morning departure. I'll have to find a CPH airport hotel but choices seem limited.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:25 am

I think you're very sensible not to try to make that connection.

The Cabinn Metro hotel 2 stops away on the train, at Ørestad station through the Fields shopping center, is comfortable if basic (small rooms, minimal staff, fast Wifi - welcome to Scandinavia) and fairly cheap. I do not recommend the Copenhagen Go hotel at the nearer Tårnby station at all, it's unpleasant. There is also a hotel bolted onto the airport, a Clarion, which is OK but significantly more expensive than the Cabinn. The trains run every 10-15 minutes and take about 5 minutes to do the journey, so the Cabinn is easy to get to.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: most of them
Copenhagen is a great city. So if you've got the time it might be worth staying in town. The train ride is fairly quick.

[I agree you were wise to not attempt this connection, especially on separate tix. I just did a Schengen to US transfer the other day. I was amazed at how far and long the walk was.]
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Pochama
Thanks for the advice. I decided to play it safe and change the EasyJet flight to the morning departure. I'll have to find a CPH airport hotel but choices seem limited.
The cost for me to overnight 15 minutes (by train) from CPH airport is most often less than $140 including transport cost+lodging (inclusive of hotel breakfast): either the Quality View or Best Western Arena hotels at the Hyllie train station in Malmö, Sweden. Sometimes I get this all (lodging+roundtrip train transport) for less than $100 total. The train runs usually around every 20 minutes except between 1am to 5am when it is like once an hour.

Both of these Hyllie hotels are decent by Scandinavian standards.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The cost for me to overnight 15 minutes (by train) from CPH airport is most often less than $140 including transport cost+lodging (inclusive of hotel breakfast): either the Quality View or Best Western Arena hotels at the Hyllie train station in Malmö, Sweden. Sometimes I get this all (lodging+roundtrip train transport) for less than $100 total. The train runs usually around every 20 minutes except between 1am to 5am when it is like once an hour.

Both of these Hyllie hotels are decent by Scandinavian standards.
To deviate a little from the main question in this thread, I am very curious why you (repeatedly, across other threads) recommend complicating the situation by going to a different country across a bridge that can close in bad weather or due to accident leaving someone very stuck with no alternative. If the train breaks down in CPH you can take the metro, bus, taxi, or even just walk some places. If the Øresund link breaks down you are completely stuck. Let alone possible visa or immigration issues, and the Swedes are checking these days.

Why are you so keen on these Hyllie hotels?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flatlander
To deviate a little from the main question in this thread, I am very curious why you (repeatedly, across other threads) recommend complicating the situation by going to a different country across a bridge that can close in bad weather or due to accident leaving someone very stuck with no alternative. If the train breaks down in CPH you can take the metro, bus, taxi, or even just walk some places. If the Øresund link breaks down you are completely stuck. Let alone possible visa or immigration issues, and the Swedes are checking these days.

Why are you so keen on these Hyllie hotels?
Because they are a good deal, in the web of hotels to be considered for overnight transits.

I am at CPH for overnight transits several dozen times a year, for a good number of years. The Hyllie hotels are a much better deal and the scare stories about the bridge are mostly just that: scare stories that infrequent visitors are very unlikely to encounter.

The time for me to get from CPH airport to a room at the Radisson Royal in central Copenhagen using train is longer than for me to get to
The room at the Quality View Hyllie.

Is sharing info about how to save money and get better value out of money when traveling a bad thing? It's certainly not an FT TOS violation.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
going to a different country across a bridge that can close in bad weather or due to accident leaving someone very stuck with no alternative. If the train breaks down in CPH you can take the metro, bus, taxi, or even just walk some places. If the Øresund link breaks down you are completely stuck. Let alone possible visa or immigration
How often is the bridge closed anyway? Is it really a frequent problem?

Visa or immigration is definitely not a problem. Pochama has just arrived with QR from DOH, so the Danish immigration authorities has just allowed him to enter Schengen (either visa-free or on a Schengen visa, depending on Pochama's citizenship), so crossing the border to Sweden will definitely not be a problem.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by RedChili

Visa or immigration is definitely not a problem. Pochama has just arrived with QR from DOH, so the Danish immigration authorities has just allowed him to enter Schengen (either visa-free or on a Schengen visa, depending on Pochama's citizenship), so crossing the border to Sweden will definitely not be a problem.
And the Swedish police only does random controls nowadays anyway, at least I wasn't asked to show any visa or ID last time I took the train into Sweden.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by theddo
And the Swedish police only does random controls nowadays anyway, at least I wasn't asked to show any visa or ID last time I took the train into Sweden.
Out of my last 46 crossings this year, I've had my US passport checked 4 times. Out of my last 12 crossings, only 2 checks. And for CPH to Hyllie hotels, it's resulted in a delay of no more than 30 seconds (on any given occasion) for me out of the last 80 times when I've done this.

Originally Posted by RedChili

The bridge is very rarely shut down -- less than 1% of the times I've had to cross. And when the bridge is shut down to all traffic, CPH airport is often messed up with it. Out of my last 100 days in the region, I've seen the bridge traffic restricted due to winds barely once. And for someone flying into CPH very infrequently, the likelihood of the bridge being stopped of all traffic and that being a problem to cross is like closer to 0% than 1%.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 23, 2017 at 2:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.