Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost for someone in SE/FI/NO to call my UK mobile#? +44-770-030-####

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much does it cost for someone in SE/FI/NO to call my UK mobile#? +44-770-030-####

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

I have this UK mobile number: +44-770-030-####.

How much does it cost for someone in Sweden, Finland, or Norway to call me at that number when I'm roaming in those countries? (calling from landline or mobile)

Thanks!
Old May 8, 2017, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by WalterSFO

How much does it cost for someone in Sweden, Finland, or Norway to call me at that number when I'm roaming in those countries? (calling from landline or mobile)

Thanks!
It depends on foreign call service provider which you can choose here independently from your operator but if I use my mobile operator's own service provider which is a default, it is 0.4537 €/min to UK mobile number from Finland.

Edited to add: You can lower the price considerably even without making any contracts just using some other provider's prefix. For example https://nettia.fi/en/rates/ which is 6 cents a minute to UK mobile. But I guess most people who don't call much internationally just use default one.

Last edited by Kallio; May 8, 2017 at 2:32 am
Old May 8, 2017, 3:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Thanks!
It costs me as little as:

1. zero cents additional per minute up to a fixed amount of minutes per month (as I have some plans that allow me to make phone calls to such UK numbers as part of a fixed monthly allotment)

to

2. as much as around 44-50 cents per minutes.

Mostly it has cost me around 5-33 US cents per minute to call such numbers using my Nordic/Scandinavian phone lines if not using highly specialized plans, if looking back at expenses over the past 5 years.

For the typical old lady in these countries to call a UK mobile number, I'd expect it to be more like the 27-50 cents/minute range.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Who is yours and their mobile providers and when are you looking to travel? If it's after the 15th of June and they are with the "right" mobile company that recognises them and you under the new EU legislation, it may not cost them anything other than their standard or inclusive minutes from their mobile.

Of course, if you can get free/cheap data while you are travelling, can't those people use an app like Viber or Whatsapp to call you?
Old May 23, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

2. as much as around 44-50 cents per minutes..

ooops... I learned the hard way. I made a boo-boo and forgot to hit "end" at the end of the phone call. The friend on the other end also forgot. We actually only spoke for about 3 minutes. However, according to the phone company and the call logs on our phones, the call actually lasted over half an hour. The result? Almost $17 for one 3-minute call. Tried to get the phone company to reverse that change but got no where.

Maybe I should go back to a flip-phone because there's almost no way to forget to hang up.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
ooops... I learned the hard way. I made a boo-boo and forgot to hit "end" at the end of the phone call. The friend on the other end also forgot.
That's a pretty big boo-boo

Originally Posted by dddc
Who is yours and their mobile providers and when are you looking to travel? If it's after the 15th of June and they are with the "right" mobile company that recognises them and you under the new EU legislation, it may not cost them anything other than their standard or inclusive minutes from their mobile.
Norway is not in the EU so I believe this legislation does not automatically apply immediately, but it will generally be the same with Norway for many providers eventually.

If you pay less than approx 0.77 eurocents per MB (exclusive of tax) for data on average (and there are various rules for how to work out the amount paid for data on complex packaged deals) then you may have to pay more for roaming data over particular limits.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
That's a pretty big boo-boo
it takes 2 to tango... it takes 2 hands to clap....etc..

it takes 2 people to both forget to hang up the phone to be hit with a $17 bill for a 3-minute phone call. ^
Old May 31, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by :D!
Norway is not in the EU so I believe this legislation does not automatically apply immediately, but it will generally be the same with Norway for many providers eventually.
Not eventually, but June 15th as well for Vodafone, O2, and 3 at least. Norway isn't part of the EU, but is part of the EEA and gets around 10% of EU regulations, including ones on services like this.

Last edited by dddc; May 31, 2017 at 6:53 am
Old May 31, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dddc
Not eventually, but June 15th as well for Vodafone, O2, and 3 at least. Norway isn't part of the EU, but is part of the EEA and gets around 10% of EU regulations, including ones on services like this.
does that apply to prepaid SIM cards purchased in the UK?

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.