Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Long stay (several days) car parking in Helsinki

Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon

I may be going to Helsinki with my car. I have been to Helsinki before so I know what the centre is like. I have no desire to suffer the irritation and cost of driving and parking around the centre of Helsinki; the car will be used around the city stay to tour the countryside, drive through the Baltic States, and so on. This will be in the summer, so problems like digging the car out of a snowdrift will not happen.

So I need somewhere to put the car, in reasonable safety with low cost (of course). My hotel's parking rate of 30/night is not attractive.

The ferry terminal port long stay parking costs 10/night for several days which is better.

I am not averse to using park and ride, but can a car be parked at the park and ride sites with Metro access for several days continuously, and if so at what cost?

Is parking on the street near a metro station or similar transit to the centre a realistic option?

Any suggestions are welcome, especially if they answer the above questions.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
I am not averse to using park and ride, but can a car be parked at the park and ride sites with Metro access for several days continuously, and if so at what cost?

Is parking on the street near a metro station or similar transit to the centre a realistic option?
I think all official park and ride parking lots have 24h time limit but usually there are residential streets with unlimited street parking nearby. Something like Huopalahti (local train) or Kulosaari (metro) might be good candidates as they don't have big commercial areas near the station. Google Street View can provide some hints where others park. Of course break ins and vandalism happen but those should not be the worst areas. Optimal place is of course where there are plenty of other cars parked but not so many that they look like they are for some special occasion.

Otherwise that ferry terminal parking seems like good deal for some security.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
+1.

Helsinki is pretty safe to leave your car just on street, but the problem is to find where... no place in town, you have to go outside. Kulosaari is a good option, been there done that
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
You can use my parking space if Lauttasaari works for you. For free. I pay for it but don't have a car. PM me.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Soon you will have a lot of PM
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by FFlash
Soon you will have a lot of PM
I guess. I am giving basic human kindness a try. It's an experiment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.