Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen

Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen

Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:38 pm

Researching a Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen trip

It will be at the end of a Baltic cruise that ends in Stockholm. I'm thinking about a train to Oslo, then renting a car and driving to Copenhagen and flying back to the USA from there.

Or we could skip Oslo and go from Stockholm to Copenhagen via train.

Is the drive worth doing? How about Oslo?

I don't do art museums, but love to visit historic cities such as Prague and Krakow. Are there any quaint fishing villages between Oslo and Copenhagen?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:19 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You'll likely find it prohibitively expensive to do a one-way international car rental.

I'd personally spend some time in Stockholm, potter around the archipelago and then decide where to head to.

If you're interested in Oslo, go, but IMO Norway is much, much more about the country than the cities.

There is a decent overnight ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen, and it's easy to get the train from Copenhagen to Sweden. If you're going to hire a car to explore an area in more detail, I'd recommend picking a single area, like Scania,
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:52 pm

What about flying from Stockholm to Bodo, then to Oslo and Copenhagen? Is Bodo worth the trip?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Bodo is a pleasant small town. But it really depends what you want to get out of going there. If you want to explore the mountains, take a tour round the islands, head on the Hurtigruten down the coast to Bergen, then it's great. But the city itself seems a long way to go.

You could consider flying from Stockholm to Bergen, then returning to Oslo via train (particularly if you take the 'Norway in a Nutshell' tour via Flam). The scenery is stunning.

If you're more interested in old-fashioned, small towns, particularly by the coast, then there are plenty of those in Norway, but also plenty near Stockholm and Copenhagen. I thoroughly recommend hopping on ferries to explore the Stockholm Archipelago, for starters
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by stut
You then have the option to continue via Landskrona, Lund and Malmo, or to take the ferry across to Helsingor (for Kronborg and Louisiana).
We found Louisiana all by itself to be worth a full day.

Personally I'd opt for 1 major city and its immediate area. Either Copenhagen or Stockholm offer enough for a 6 trip (don't know much about Oslo, so can't comment on it). I've never understood the appeal of dashing around to multiple cities instead of savoring one or two.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had two days in Copenhagen last Fall and I felt I was able to see everything I wanted to see in that time. Had I had a third day I probably would have looked into a day trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.