Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to the Lebowski Bar Reykjavik?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

While trolling around for solo traveller nightlife ideas for an upcoming trip to Reykjavik in Oct. I found a brewery tour but as it was CAD$60 without meal thought I could sample some venues on my own and came upon the Lebowski Bar and having liked the movie thought it would be worth a visit but was curious to hear any input anyone may have about it. Cheers!
Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
came upon the Lebowski Bar and having liked the movie thought it would be worth a visit but was curious to hear any input anyone may have about it. Cheers!
I'd say it's worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood, but not worth a special trip. Be aware that drink prices are a bit high in Reykjavik. Also, measured pours are the standard. Lebowski Bar's menu of white russian variants is extensive. Each will cost you $18 to $25 CAD. The bartenders are great and it's full of diner- and Lebowski-themed junk. I didn't try the food.

Are you a whisky drinker? If so, check out Dillon. It's just up the street on Laugavegur. They have a fantastic selection of single malts plus some draft beers.

The other acclaimed bar in this area, The Laundromat Cafe, disappointed me. The decor was cool, and I could see that on the right night the atmosphere could be really great. Unfortunately the disorganized waitstaff let me down. They didn't know the menu well, and forgot part of our order. Also, they were tapped out on half the beers on the menu. Seemed like everything I tried to order was out. Could have just been a bad night.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _kurt
I'd say it's worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood, but not worth a special trip. Be aware that drink prices are a bit high in Reykjavik. Also, measured pours are the standard. Lebowski Bar's menu of white russian variants is extensive. Each will cost you $18 to $25 CAD. The bartenders are great and it's full of diner- and Lebowski-themed junk. I didn't try the food.
Thanks for the input. My hotel is a short walk away from Lebowski Bar so thought it might be worth a detour but with drink prices that high think I'll nurse one all night. Maybe the beer tour isn't looking too bar after all...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:11 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Hit the Duty Free on your way IN to Iceland and buy your wine and spirits and beer there, for "pregaming". The bars and liquor shops in Iceland are very expensive, all the natives do their shopping at Duty Free whenever possible.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:37 pm

Literally just made an account to post on this. Came back from Reykjavik 2 days ago & went to Lebowski bar. It's really cool. Lots of movie references! Happy hour is 4-7 pm - draft = 500-600 ISK. Worth a drop in.

Last edited by Karynne Cianfaglione; Sep 10, 2016 at 4:39 pm Reason: Added photos
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Hit the Duty Free on your way IN to Iceland and buy your wine and spirits and beer there, for "pregaming". The bars and liquor shops in Iceland are very expensive, all the natives do their shopping at Duty Free whenever possible.

Absolutely correct, you save big bucks by doing this. Stop at the second Duty Free shop prior to departing the customs area. Shop prior to exiting to pick up your luggage.^
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

I should update my own thread to post that while I did make a point of visiting this bar it was a Champions League matchday and full without a seat to be had so rather than loiter & wait for a free seat just moved on ending up at the Dubliner where drinks were much less expensive and the crowd more locals than visitors.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards, Saga Club, KrisFlyer
We liked it! It's very well done, in my opinion...the theme/decor is Silly and funny enough for people who only know a little about the Dude, creative enough for real fans...and those that aren't into it at all can just enjoy great tasting burgers.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bruce Bruce

Absolutely correct, you save big bucks by doing this. Stop at the second Duty Free shop prior to departing the customs area. Shop prior to exiting to pick up your luggage.^
Perhaps I would even suggest buying ex-Iceland and pack in your checked luggage - even duty free is expensive at KEF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.