Wiki Posts
Search

HEL: overnight flight connection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
HEL: overnight flight connection

I arrive at HEL at 2310 on a Saturday night and leave at 0740 the next morning.
Has anyone spent the night at the airport?
If so, any recommendations for getting some rest, or would you go for a hotel?

Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I'd never stay at an airport unless absolutely unavoidable - that means if there are no hotels!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by w3andw4d

Thanks.
Personally, I would use the Hilton which is located just across from their arrivals exit. Just a quick stumble out of bed in the morning too, and usually to be found at a reasonable price.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'd never stay at an airport unless absolutely unavoidable - that means if there are no hotels!
+1 ^
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:40 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat

Thanks.
I have done this on a MR and we used the Holiday Inn at a cost of 65€ it seemed the best deal. On many weekends it is as low as 55€. Free shuttle and clean quiet rooms!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
This is a useful website. Seems more people sleep in airports than I imagined. Link to Helsinki details here:
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/li...a#.VqNKJja96M8
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold

Thanks.
I'm doing the same trip in a couple of weeks. By buying flight and hotel together via BA Holidays I saved around 10% - the hotel was effectively an additional £40 on the flight cost. I personally wouldn't want to spend the night at the airport.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've stayed at the Hilton, which is a good hotel a short walk from the terminal (it actually overlooks the non Schengen gates that BA uses), but it's not the cheapest hotel. The dilemma that then happens, which I suspect inspired the question, is that if going further afield the transportation time will eat into sleep time, so less good value for money, as well as increasing the risk of oversleeping. The latter can be resolved by using mobile phones, hotel phones, hotel televisions and the intervention of the front desk.

There are 2 other hotels on the airport site (and a host just outside). The GLO hotel is inside T2 landside, again not particularly cheap but very convenient.

Rather more cost effectively, Vantaa is one of the few airports I can think (ok, the only one) with a youth hostel on site. It's called Forenom Koto Vantaa and you can pick and choose which services you want. (CWS has not stayed here!). I can see prices from 45€ but doubtless there may be add ons if you haven't got a sleeping bag (etc). There's an expensive but extensive grocery mini mart by the arrivals gate. The hostel is in the car parking area, about 500 metres from Arrivals.

Hotel taxis won't mind taking you to the small town of Tikkurila (and accept credit card payment), and there's a public bus service too, several cost effective hotels there, so you can get to Tukkurila quite quickly, it's just 10 minutes away. The Sokos hotel is one I've used.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Where's your sense of adventure!

OP, you could always take a tent...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by madfish
Where's your sense of adventure!

OP, you could always take a tent...
I now have visions of Scott of the Antarctic.

Anybody who goes on a HEL TP run in winter and stays in a tent should get an award - Mucci des Asylum?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
C-W-S is correct re the reason for the question, I suspect that sleep will be short and not of good quality anyway!

Thanks for all your replies, I will give them consideration.

I have just booked a ABZ-LHR-HEL and back for £480 with 200TP, which will keep me at silver. This is usually not an issue, but I had to cancel a CW trip in Oct due to bereavement.

The info on this site is invaluable. Thanks to all you folks for your efforts!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
C-W-S is correct re the reason for the question, I suspect that sleep will be short and not of good quality anyway!

Thanks for all your replies, I will give them consideration.

I have just booked a ABZ-LHR-HEL and back for £480 with 200TP, which will keep me at silver. This is usually not an issue, but I had to cancel a CW trip in Oct due to bereavement.

The info on this site is invaluable. Thanks to all you folks for your efforts!
If you're within 24 hours do check gorps1's suggestion of BA flight and hotel, it can be attractive pricing vs separate bookings.
And if booking separately with HI don't forget to see what IHG Accelerate promo has as tasks...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by madfish
Where's your sense of adventure! ...
In my hotel room
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You can rent one of these for a few hours :-

Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
HEL TP Run

+1 On the Hilton and Holiday Inn. I actually preferred the latter but the former is better for maximum sleep.

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.