Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental at KEF

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Car rental at KEF

Headed to Iceland for a short holiday and am trying to figure out car rental. Wondering if anyone has advice about which company is best in terms of quality of cars available and convenience of pick up/drop off at KEF.

Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:06 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We rented from KEF the first of this month. Don't recall if we ended up with Budget or Avis, but there are at least 5 companies right in the terminal. Booked it online ahead of time, and cars are right outside the terminal. A little hard to find our car at night (not well lit), but if you're going now, you should have much more light than we did.

Return was to a very slightly offsite depot, where they put us in a van and had us at the airport in 2-3 minutes.

The companies definitely share counter personnel, but I can't speak for if they share vehicles, but the dropoffs were all very near each other.

Get yourself a 4 wheel drive vehicle with high clearance so you can go down some of the side roads. You'll be very glad you did.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: EB
We've done Hertz once and AVIS twice. Both were excellent, brand new Land cruisers both times, except for one time with AVIS when we got a really ...... Hyundai.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
For what it's worth, here's a blog post with lots of links to local rental companies. It's three years old and in Swedish, but Google Translate seems to do a decent job:

http://www.islandsbloggen.com/2011/0...rbilen-pa.html

http://translate.google.com/translat...rbilen-pa.html

The writer is a journalist and frequent visitor and is usually very well informed about the country.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: TrueBlue
Am I doing it wrong? I can't get even a mini-class car for less than $90USD PER DAY! (For 3 days, end of July)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
It's expensive there. Was more reasonable back in 2009-10 following ISK devaluation but prices have caught up due to having to restock (and thus import) cars.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:14 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
And gas/diesel is about $9/gallon.

If you're going anywhere other than Airport/Reykjavik, then you should consider a 4 wheel drive vehicle. There's SO much to see that is just a bit too far down unpaved roads, you'll be quite mad in your Yaris/Fit
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:40 am

Would a midsized SUV be ok? We'll most likely have 3 people, and we aren't really planning to go nuts off roading. I'm seeing Dollar is offering $485.00 total for the six days we are going to be there. I figure I can probably find a corp code to get the price down, but am kind of worried about the vehicle.

Last edited by JTMurdock; Jun 11, 2014 at 4:51 am
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by JTMurdock
Would a midsized SUV be ok? We'll most likely have 3 people, and we aren't really planning to go nuts off roading. I'm seeing Dollar is offering $485.00 total for the six days we are going to be there. I figure I can probably find a corp code to get the price down, but am kind of worried about the vehicle.
Height is more important than length! Anything with 7-8" of clearance (or more) will be fine, which allows lots of options for you.

Don't trust the rental car company for those specs, double check on any car stats website to make sure you've got what you need.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
I just used Geysir. They delivered the car to me at our hotel in Reykjavik, I returned it to the airport. Very professional outfit.

Don't bother trying to save money on this, it cannot be done. That goes for the whole island. Entrees in casual restaurants cost $30-40.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:30 am

Iīm afraid there is no getting round the cost, Iceland is just incredibly expensive. [redacted]
If you are planning on doing ANY off roading then you must get a 4WD. All 2WD vehicles are banned from using the F-Roads (off road tracks) and heavy fines await those that do.

However there is plenty to see if you stick to the main roads, so a 4WD is certainly not a must, it just depends on what you want to do.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jun 12, 2014 at 6:33 am Reason: redacted plug for car rental firm
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EerieVon
Iīm afraid there is no getting round the cost, Iceland is just incredibly expensive. [redacted]
If you are planning on doing ANY off roading then you must get a 4WD. All 2WD vehicles are banned from using the F-Roads (off road tracks) and heavy fines await those that do.

However there is plenty to see if you stick to the main roads, so a 4WD is certainly not a must, it just depends on what you want to do.
I'll only have one day - arriving late at night and leaving late the next day. Was planning on just driving around as much as I can, viewing what I can. Is a 4X4 really necessary?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:14 am

If you only have one day then donīt bother with a 4WD, get a 2WD and stick to the roads that ARENīT marked with an "F". Believe me you will see some amazing sites (weather permitting of course!).
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:46 am

4WD will get you closer to waterfalls and glaciers than 2WD will. If you're only doing the Golden Circle, you don't need 4WD. If you're going to really go for it, and hit the south coast or one of the peninsulas a bit, you'll want 4WD for some of the roads that lead off of the main, paved roads.

It's definitely not just the Mountain roads (F roads) that require 4WD

Last edited by Out of my Element; Jun 24, 2014 at 2:21 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:09 am

[QUOTE=
It's definitely not just the Mountain roads (F roads) that require 4WD[/QUOTE]

Depends on the time of year. If it is summer a 2WD will be fine on ALL non F-Roads

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.