Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Iceland itinerary - what to see and do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
I traveled to Iceland last June for a long weekend, just as you are planning to do. It truly is the most breathtaking, scenic place I have ever visited. I got a ticket from Daytona Beach to KEF on Delta for $625....in other words, a steal! Stayed at the Hilton Reykjavik Nordica, and my rate of $149 per night included breakfast/lunch/dinner each day. The first room they gave me was occupied when I walked in, so after going back down to the check-in desk they upgraded my room to a city/water view. The restaurant at the hotel is PRICEY to eat at otherwise, and people come just to eat at the hotel.....phenomenal food!

The Hilton is kind of a trek from most downtown attractions, but the temps in June were between 55-60F during the day...much nicer than hot and humid FL! I prefer to walk and explore anyway, so the distance wasn't a factor. There is a movie theater about 1 mile from the Hilton that I walked to and saw a movie at (10:30PM showing). Movies in Iceland are interesting, because at the halfway point of the movie it abruptly stops for a 10 minute intermission. There is a small restaurant called Noodle Station downtown. This place is a must visit!!!!

Another great restaurant is Icelandic Fish and Chips. Pricey, but worth it! I took the Golden Circle Tour with Iceland Guided Tours and all of us on the tour had a wonderful time with our guide. It is a family run company, and the size limit on each tour is 8-10. You have more flexibility and can "skip" ahead of the larger coach tours. Being able to experience the wild horses up close was an experience in itself....definitely a must do.

The entire time I was in Iceland, I really was in awe of the sheer beauty around me. The breathtaking scenery is literally everywhere you go. If you have the opportunity to go, I would definitely go. I want to go back and rent a car to drive around the island.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by leonidas
Went to Iceland in May last year. It's a beautiful country, THE most scenic place I have ever visited. My wife and I are in our early 30s, and we like to visit scenic places more so than "happening" places. So, it totally depends on what you like.

Reykjavik has a lot going on, but any other place will be just scenic (and very calm or "boring", if you will).

Iceland is expensive, but less so after the economic crash a few years ago (don't mention it to anyone there though, they don't like talking about it). Hotels can be had for $125-$150. Food is much more expensive. A sandwich lunch for two can be $50.

You can probably drive from Reykjavik to the East end of the country, considering the time you have. We drove to Djupivogur and back. Also went to Olafsvik towards West. We stayed at the Radisson in Reykjavik, and other small hotels elsewhere.

People are incredibly friendly. You will have a great time. You can get miles from Icelandair into your Alaska Airlines account, not AA.
I assumed it would be a little pricy once I was there, but that doesn't sound like the end of the world, maybe I'll just buy a few days worth of groceries for my hotel room or something. Sounds like a nice place to explore and do some walking around, and I've read that the nightlife is pretty good too.

It looks like I would lose the majority of the miles by converting from Icelandair to Alaskan Airlines. Bummer.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Compare the price of your trip versus doing Icelandic TATL and using their stopover program for a free long weekend there, including hotels and other stuff. It might pay to spend a few days in Europe on the trip. Unfortunately, I don't think the extra miles would count for much.
That my be tough due to time constraints, but a good idea if I can manage that much time off. Thanks for mentioning it!

Originally Posted by av8tr22
I traveled to Iceland last June for a long weekend, just as you are planning to do. It truly is the most breathtaking, scenic place I have ever visited. I got a ticket from Daytona Beach to KEF on Delta for $625....in other words, a steal! Stayed at the Hilton Reykjavik Nordica, and my rate of $149 per night included breakfast/lunch/dinner each day. The first room they gave me was occupied when I walked in, so after going back down to the check-in desk they upgraded my room to a city/water view. The restaurant at the hotel is PRICEY to eat at otherwise, and people come just to eat at the hotel.....phenomenal food!

The Hilton is kind of a trek from most downtown attractions, but the temps in June were between 55-60F during the day...much nicer than hot and humid FL! I prefer to walk and explore anyway, so the distance wasn't a factor. There is a movie theater about 1 mile from the Hilton that I walked to and saw a movie at (10:30PM showing). Movies in Iceland are interesting, because at the halfway point of the movie it abruptly stops for a 10 minute intermission. There is a small restaurant called Noodle Station downtown. This place is a must visit!!!!

Another great restaurant is Icelandic Fish and Chips. Pricey, but worth it! I took the Golden Circle Tour with Iceland Guided Tours and all of us on the tour had a wonderful time with our guide. It is a family run company, and the size limit on each tour is 8-10. You have more flexibility and can "skip" ahead of the larger coach tours. Being able to experience the wild horses up close was an experience in itself....definitely a must do.

The entire time I was in Iceland, I really was in awe of the sheer beauty around me. The breathtaking scenery is literally everywhere you go. If you have the opportunity to go, I would definitely go. I want to go back and rent a car to drive around the island.
Great info, thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Compare the price of your trip versus doing Icelandic TATL and using their stopover program for a free long weekend there, including hotels and other stuff. It might pay to spend a few days in Europe on the trip. Unfortunately, I don't think the extra miles would count for much.
I've always wanted to do this. Book a trip to <wherever> and throw in a weekend in Iceland in the middle.

Maybe one of these years with family I'll do it. Flying solo, I'm too wedded to my miles and/or status and am likely to try to redeem some sort of award or upgrade to J. But four of us going...the cheaper fares that Icelandair is known for, plus the fact that we'd all be in coach with the kids anyway...that makes it more plausible.

I figure doing it in October or March would be ideal. Avoid the summer crowds but still get decent daylight and weather. Plus those are always good months for travel onward in Europe.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
pinniped, check out the pricing on Icelandair's site, it's shockingly inexpensive for a business class (what they call economy comfort) flight! BOS to KEF to MUC is $1800 round trip, less than what it would cost me to fly J to from BOS to LAX. Granted their just doing what American does on MCE and blocking the middle seat in addition, but still not a bad price.

Also, Icelandair has a really really nice multi city interface. Wow.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:11 am

Iceland is a great place to visit and you will have a good time in Reykjavik. It is also easily drivable from KEF so I'd recommend getting a car. I used to go regularly and always spent some time in the public pools, even in October. They have those superheated geothermal Jacuzzis and you can socialize with the locals. Iceland has a thriving art scene and you can pick up amazing pieces if you're into that. If you get some time visit the Blue Lagoon and Pengvellir. There are also amazing restaurants where you can eat reindeer and puffin, if you're into that sort of thing. So yes, I would say absolutely go in October. It's a good time to be there and won't be that cold yet. Also, English is widely spoken and you'll find some of the friendliest people anywhere.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, HON, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Pinned
pinniped, check out the pricing on Icelandair's site, it's shockingly inexpensive for a business class (what they call economy comfort) flight! BOS to KEF to MUC is $1800 round trip, less than what it would cost me to fly J to from BOS to LAX. Granted their just doing what American does on MCE and blocking the middle seat in addition, but still not a bad price.

Also, Icelandair has a really really nice multi city interface. Wow.
Saga class is business class on Icelandair. Economy comfort is very much a premium economy. Saga class is a bit dated in terms of seat etc and can be quite expensive.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:13 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this query is specific to one destination, let's shift this discussion over to the Nordic Countries forum. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Maigret
Saga class is business class on Icelandair. Economy comfort is very much a premium economy. Saga class is a bit dated in terms of seat etc and can be quite expensive.
Saga class has been a poor value way too often indeed. But then if just doing a trip to/from KEF, not having to connect can make it good enough for some.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:09 pm
MTC

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Iceland in August

We are thinking of travelling to Iceland next month. A friend who has been there in August 2007, reported that Iceland is "cold" and "wet" at that time of the year. Any comments from you folks who have been there? Also would appreciate to know what king of shoes one should wear. May sound silly but... We've been to Huangshan, China, the canyons at El Cayafate in Argentina, etc... wearing my good Mephisto walking shoes. My husband tells me I'd need hiking boots for Iceland ! Any comments ...?
Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:52 pm

When I was there in August 2009 we had a heatwave with +25 °C in Reykjavik!! However it was colder (2 °C and blowy in the Highlands!!).

For towns, ordinary comfy shoes will be fine, but for walking over lava fields definitely walking shoes and/boots.

Don't forget your swimming costume for the thermal pools and hot pots, and a windproof jacket, hat and gloves for the interior!

YOu'll have a great time whatever the weather because Iceland is a wonderful place in ALL weathers (usually with several changes during a day!).
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:01 am
MTC

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Smile

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
When I was there in August 2009 we had a heatwave with +25 °C in Reykjavik!! However it was colder (2 °C and blowy in the Highlands!!).

For towns, ordinary comfy shoes will be fine, but for walking over lava fields definitely walking shoes and/boots.

Don't forget your swimming costume for the thermal pools and hot pots, and a windproof jacket, hat and gloves for the interior!

YOu'll have a great time whatever the weather because Iceland is a wonderful place in ALL weathers (usually with several changes during a day!).
THANKS!! Very much appreciate your prompt response.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, NW
I was in Iceland in early August 2011, and I agree with the advice. Wear layers at all times (including a hooded rain jacket) and sturdy shoes for the countryside.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:08 pm

Advice needed on Iceland Trip

Hi,

We currently have an itinerary with a 5 days in Oslo and 9 days in Reykjavik, Iceland. However we just got back from a 3 week trip to New Zealand and I realized that we aren't really outdoorsy people so 9 days in Iceland might be too much... . I was thinking about changing it so we would have 4-5 full days in Reykjavik and then have 8-9 days where we can explore Norway, Sweden or Norway. Was wondering if anyone can provide any input or feedback on that plan. thank you!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:43 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Reykjavik is a nice city, but unless you're into the party scene, there isn't enough to do IN the city to last that 4-5 days. 2, maybe 3 days will cover the shops and museums and the rest of it.

In 9 days you can do a lap of the country and see most of the highlights, and stay in unique and comfortable hotels/inns every night. You do have to be interested in nature (waterfalls, geysirs, fjords, glaciers, snowfields, etc) to enjoy this.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Visit Stockholm.
A beautiful city with lots to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.