Search
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Iceland itinerary - what to see and do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:21 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Reyk has great pools with waterslides for kids, there's a small zoo with local (many domesticated) animals, and museums and a very colorful harbor.

Outside the city most towns have pools, too, and there is horseback riding, but not much really directed towards children. But tons of nature!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:20 am

I haven't looked too hard into where I'd go in Iceland if I actually book one of the cheap WOW/Icelandair flights but I'd want to go in October or early November to increase my chances of seeing the Northern Lights but from what I read, it may be too dangerous to self drive in the winter, which I think limits my out-of-Reykjavik outings to tours from RE and the like(?)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:45 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
You can get Northern Lights in September (the later the better) and a much lower chance of hazardous driving at that time, too.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Last week of July and a big chess family

Looking for advice.

We really like museums, chess, and more chess. Definitely going to see where 1972 championship and where Bobby Fischer is buried.

We do like scenery but with an 8-year-old not looking for much of hiking.

So far for safety, we have used points at Radisson Blu for entire stay (Cheaper one was the only one available with points).

Was originally planning on renting a camper and doing long ring but after reading here 5 full days seems too short of time.

Any suggestions? I can rent a car for day(s) or entire time, but don't want to do that if is it not cost effective.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:41 am

Car rental is cheaper than tours, but you learn SO much more in Iceland with a tour. We've been there 4 times so far and always rent a car but plan at least one tour on each trip.

For 5 days in July I'd rent a car but take a Golden Circle tour with a minibus or superjeep provider so you're not stuck with the issues a big bus always presents. Then drive the South Coast and Reykjanes Peninsula. Try to get lodging for one night along the south coast so you can get all the way to Jokulsarlon.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I am considering a 9 day trip in December (arrive KEF very early December 24, depart January 1). We have 2 kids (will be 11 and 4 at that time). Am I insane, or can this be a fun trip? We really want to see northern lights.

I assume driving on our own would be a bad idea. I figured we'd spend Christmas Eve and Christmas in Reykjavik and then tour the island from the 26th until New Years Eve, back in Reykjavik to fly home on January 1.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
updating old thread

It is interesting to see this 5-year old thread recently bumped! There has been an uptick in travel to Iceland (flights on AC Rouge, cruises, WOW & Iceland Air both increased # flights).
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:47 am

SRQ:

You will have very limited daylight (4-5 hours/day) that time of year. Almost everything is closed on the 25th (and much on the 26th). Tours do operate on all days of the year.

As you mention, driving can be very dangerous in Arctic winter. I drive in New England winters all the time, but I learned a lesson about Mother Nature in my one winter (March) driving experience in Iceland.

Northern Lights can be incredible, or can be wispy grey streaks (I haven't seen 'em), but do require hours of standing outside in the winter night. Your 4 year old won't enjoy this. Your 11 year old will probably not enjoy this.

I'd consider a multiday tour if you are set on this, but one where you can leave one/both kids somewhere for northern light hunting. A 3 day tour of the South Coast and/or a 2 day tour of Snaefellsness should work for you
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by thepla
Looking for advice.

We really like museums, chess, and more chess. Definitely going to see where 1972 championship and where Bobby Fischer is buried.

We do like scenery but with an 8-year-old not looking for much of hiking.

So far for safety, we have used points at Radisson Blu for entire stay (Cheaper one was the only one available with points).

Was originally planning on renting a camper and doing long ring but after reading here 5 full days seems too short of time.

Any suggestions? I can rent a car for day(s) or entire time, but don't want to do that if is it not cost effective.

Thanks in advance.
Iceland is one of my favorite places. I was there for a bit over two weeks, with a car rental. 5 days is too short to go the entire ring road, but it's fine to drive to Hofn and back to Reykjavik. However, I have a few other recommendations.

Icelandic museums are usually pretty small, but there is one with a reproduction Viking ship out kind of by the Blue Lagoon is somewhat interesting. I cannot say museums in Iceland were my favorite part of it, however (no offense, Iceland! I love you!)

I would recommend Thingvellir for easy, fairly flat hikes and easy access from Reykjavik. Also, while uphill, it's not a hard or long hike, Skaftafell Park near to the glaciers near Jokursarlon is also popular, it seemed, with kids and very scenic. I might try driving from Reykjavik through Thingvellir, check out Gulfoss as well, spend the night in Vik, check out the black sand beach, go see the glaciers and Jokulsarlon (which is gorgeous!), and then just head back? Thus said, if you can spare more time, definitely do. For the ring road, I would personally take at least a week, although my love for Iceland could keep me out there for longer.

And bring rain gear and shoes with good tread. It rained every day we were there, which was in summer, and was brisk, temperature-wise. It's also windy.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:45 pm

8 days recommendation?

Wife and i will be in Iceland for 8 days in mid-march.
does it make sense to join a multiday tour for the entire duration? Or are we better off joining multiple 1-2 day tours?
I want to see ice cave for sure.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:24 pm

Multi day tours are usually more cost effective but more importantly, get you further from Reykjavik than multiple shorter tours would. You could do a 3-4 day south tour and a 3 day nort + Snaefellsness tour to cover a good half the country
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: QFF, HH
As per usual I have been lurking a lot of late and there's some awesome tips here for Iceland thank you, I will be in Amsterdam for a couple of weeks late October and am in my very initial planning stages for a week or twos R&R afterwards ... I would love to do Iceland (back up choice Ireland at this early stage) but wanted to ask a question from those of you have travelled there extensively please. I will probably be travelling solo (which I am used to) but am in a manual wheelchair - will this limit too much of my ability to get the most of an Iceland experience, do you think? I am pretty adept at travelling US, Europe, Asia and US in chair by myself, but am wondering if Iceland's terrain may be a little harder to negotiate solo? Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:43 am

Iceland in the winter would be very difficult in a wheelchair, manual or otherwise.

You can see amazing things from a parking lot in Iceland, but in the summer there's so much more that you can get close-ish to in a chair that can handle a gravel walkway.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: QFF, HH
Thanks Out of my Element ... been researching more and can see I'd need to do mostly organised tours (which is not really my thing) - think I'll wait till I can get there in summer!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:17 am

We've been there 4 times and always take 1 or 2 organized tours. You can go lots of places with a tour that you wouldn't get to on your own, and you learn so much about the country, the geology, and the people that way. Really enhances the visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.