Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Norway in the Winter

Norway in the Winter

Old Nov 21, 2010, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Smile Norway in the Winter

I decided to take my 23 year old to the Ice Climbing Festival in Rjukan the weekend of February 25th (He is an experienced Ice Climber). We are planning on arriving in Oslo on the 23rd.
I am just beginning my planning. Tentatively spending a day or two in Oslo. Going over to Rjukan with my son for one night. He stays for the weekend and I go off by myself for a couple of days somewhere, then meeting up again maybe in Bergen.
Considering the nutshell tour. I really, really wanted to do Pulpit Rock, but realistically with the Winter thinking I need to come back in the Fall.

Please give me your suggestions, tips, opinions to traveling to Norway in the Winter. Is transportation going to be a problem? Please tell me what other things we should do, I am getting overwhelmed with all my research! I am also getting extremely excited!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:24 pm

I've not been to Norway in the winter, and I had to google Rjukan as I had never heard of it... looks like it's a lovely place in a lovely part of the country, and you could probably do worse than staying around while your son is doing his ice clmbing (but maybe he would prefer it if you didn't???)

I did part of the Norway in a Nutshell tour some years ago when I was attending a conference in Lillehammer (it was part of a day trip arranged for us by the conference organisers). The bits we did were really lovely - but this was in October, don't know what it's like in February.

I've also been on the train from Oslo to Bergen (this was on a different trip), and can recommend both the train ride and Bergen itself.

Sorry I can't answer your question about winter travel, but hopefully someone else can!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 4thplz
... opinions to traveling to Norway in the Winter. Is transportation going to be a problem?
What do you mean by that?

Norway, like rest of the Nordic countries, spend 4-6 months with snow and temperatures down to -30 C / -22 F and everything is well prepared for that, including the infrastructure. A bit of snow or cold isn't something to worry about.

A typical winter weather causing chaos in central Europe or UK is just an ordinary day in Norway and if the weather gets tough to the level of "national disaster in the UK", there may be delays and in the worst case a few cancellations.

Norway's geography does add a bit to the equation, though. But if you haven't had much experience with a "winter country", don't hesitate to travel to Norway. Norway is always worth a visit.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Aviatrix-my son wouldn't mind me hanging around. I just think he is going to have a fabulous time bonding with other ice climbers. No need for me to be there more than one day.

ojala, loved your answer. Glad to hear there won't be any problems. I am very excited about visiting Norway.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: SK*Gold
Transportation shouldn't be a problem unless a severe winter strom hits, in which case busses or trains may be delayed.

You can do the nutshell tour any time of the year, but there will be less departures for the Flaam railway during the winter. You can also take the express boat from Flaam to Bergen, instead of the bus to Voss and then train to Bergen.

If you are into winter sports, then there are lots of great cross country skiing options, even by metro from Oslo. If you are not into winter sports activities, then you may want to spend more time in Oslo. There are lots of great museums and you can buy an Oslo card that covers trasport and all museums. Go to visitoslo.com for more info on that.

Pulpit rock may be tricky during the winter to go to the top. Not sure if the bus runs to the trailhead during the winter, and you should be experienced with hiking in winter conditions if you do go during the winter.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Amexpat, for the very helpful information.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:50 am

Programs: SK*Gold
One thing I forgot to mention. Vemork, next to Rjukan, was the site of the heavy water plant that was blown up by the Norwegian resistance during WWII. It's now has a museum about industrial history in the area and has lots of exhibits about the the act of sabotage and it is well worth visiting.

Last edited by Amexpat; Dec 10, 2010 at 8:18 am
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:53 am

Are you flying into OSL or TRF?

I believe it will be easier if you fly to OSL. From OSL you can catch the airport express train to Oslo Central Station, and then catch the express bus service from Oslo to Rjukan (Rjukanekspressen) which departs from the bus terminal right next to Oslo Central Station. The bus departs every other hour starting at 0440. Last bus departs 1840.

http://www.rjukanekspressen.no/?lang=en_GB

Rjukan is a very nice place, although it doesn't see much sun during the dark winter months. Because of that, the Krosso gondola was built so that the inhabitants can see the sun during the winter months.

http://www.krossobanen.no/index_uk.htm

Another trip well worth doing is the Gaustabanen funicular. First you board a tram that brings you 860 meters inside the mountain, then you board the funicular which runs in a steep angle inside the Gaustatoppen mountain and brings you to an elevation of about 1800m. Breathtaking views from the top, where you can see about 1/5th of Norway on good days.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ki/Gaustabanen

Have a great trip - and just ask if you want to know more.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Flying into Oslon imenime. Thanks for sharing your information.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Feb. 23-26 is Kongsberg Marken, a mid-winter market that dates back to 1663. Kongsberg (the King's City) is an old silver mining town with a charming small old district, a baroque church, a ski center, and several museums. The winter festival features an outdoor market in the streets, crafts exhibits in the mining/ski museum, carnival rides, a flea/antiques market on the edge of town, and a folk music competition with concerts and dances. As Kongsberg is a transportation hub for the area (direct busses to Rjukan if I'm not mistaken) it might be a place to spend a day. Easy bus or train ride from Oslo, about 1 1/2 hrs.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Feb. 23-26 is Kongsberg Marken, thanks for that info!

Last edited by 4thplz; Jan 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.