FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nordic Region (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region-482/)
-   -   Honefoss (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region/1146947-honefoss.html)

sdtumbleweed Nov 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Honefoss

Honefoss is located NW (I think) of Oslo. My ancestors immigrated from that area, and I am interested in touring it and perhaps find some distant relatives. Is Honefoss on the railroad route from Oslo to Bergen? Has anyone stayed in Honnefoss and are the accommodations suitable? Any other info? Thanks!:)

BryanIAH Nov 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Yes it's on the rail route from Oslo to Bergen. I actually went to school there several summers ago. I didn't stay in a hotel but I remember seeing a Comfort Inn and several smaller establishments. The Hadeland Glassverk factory is a short drive away and a must see!

sdtumbleweed Nov 12, 2010 8:20 am

Originally Posted by BryanIAH (Post 15123452)
Yes it's on the rail route from Oslo to Bergen. I actually went to school there several summers ago. I didn't stay in a hotel but I remember seeing a Comfort Inn and several smaller establishments. The Hadeland Glassverk factory is a short drive away and a must see!

Thanks! I'm working on finding some relatives now...have several good leads.....:)

GUWonder Nov 12, 2010 10:23 am

Originally Posted by sdtumbleweed (Post 15123209)
Honefoss is located NW (I think) of Oslo. My ancestors immigrated from that area, and I am interested in touring it and perhaps find some distant relatives. Is Honefoss on the railroad route from Oslo to Bergen? Has anyone stayed in Honnefoss and are the accommodations suitable? Any other info? Thanks!:)

Given the tax/population registers are essentially public information (and make for a stalker's paradise when dealing with people who haven't taken great measures to try to ensure their own privacy to combat the likes of this), if you have the correct spelling for something approaching the full Norwegian name of your Norwegian ancestor and happen to know where (i.e., in which parish area and/or municipality) they were born, you shouldn't have much trouble in finding their other descendants.

AHN Nov 14, 2010 9:06 am

I have never been there, but I must admit my first reaction is that I would drive, not take the train there. The reason is that life in rural Norway is car-based, and you'll find it hard or expensive to get around without a car, even in a town like Hønefoss. Furthermore, chances are that your ancestors came from a farm near Hønefoss that can't be reached without a car.

As GUWonder says, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding your relatives, and genealogy is very popular here.

There seems to be a couple of hotels there, the Comfort Inn and the Grand Hotel.

sdtumbleweed Nov 14, 2010 9:23 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 15127215)
Given the tax/population registers are essentially public information (and make for a stalker's paradise when dealing with people who haven't taken great measures to try to ensure their own privacy to combat the likes of this), if you have the correct spelling for something approaching the full Norwegian name of your Norwegian ancestor and happen to know where (i.e., in which parish area and/or municipality) they were born, you shouldn't have much trouble in finding their other descendants.

Thanks, good info!

sdtumbleweed Nov 14, 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by AHN (Post 15137961)
I have never been there, but I must admit my first reaction is that I would drive, not take the train there. The reason is that life in rural Norway is car-based, and you'll find it hard or expensive to get around without a car, even in a town like Hønefoss. Furthermore, chances are that your ancestors came from a farm near Hønefoss that can't be reached without a car.

As GUWonder says, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding your relatives, and genealogy is very popular here.

There seems to be a couple of hotels there, the Comfort Inn and the Grand Hotel.

Thanks! I wonder if a person could rent a car for a short term right in Honnefoss?

AHN Nov 14, 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by sdtumbleweed (Post 15138032)
Thanks! I wonder if a person could rent a car for a short term right in Honnefoss?

A quick search shows that Avis has a station there:

http://www.avis.no/Bilutleie/Europa/...efoss/Honefoss

travelkid Nov 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Feel free to PM questions.

Its a 45 min+ drive from Oslo, teh capital.
Its the town where I grew up, and where my family still lives.

And today is a good day for the town, as they beat Ranheim in the qualifying for top league soccer:D

You could rent a car at OSL, and drive direct to Hønefoss, about 60 minutes.