FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nordic Region (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region-482/)
-   -   OSL - domestic to international connection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-region/1068344-osl-domestic-international-connection.html)

PitPirate Mar 28, 2010 8:39 pm

OSL - domestic to international connection

Anyone have any experience with making domestic to international connections at OSL airport?

We're supposed to fly from TOS to OSL to LHR. Supposed to get into OSL at 3:50 and depart for LHR at 5:10. I know we have to switch from domestic to international and that can be a bit of a walk and we have to go through security again. We won't have any bags.

Anyone know if this is practical?

AHN Mar 29, 2010 5:51 am

It shouldn't be any problem at all. Since you are leaving Schengen you will have to go through emigration which is at the end of the international departures section.

Turn right once you get through security on the departure level, and keep walking until they ask for your passport. Your gate will be close at hand after this.

ksu Apr 17, 2010 6:07 am

No security check DOM-INT at OSL

If your luggage has been checked through (or you travel only with hand luggage as you do) you do not have to go through security at OSL. If you are on a through itinerary, you'll probably get your boarding pass at TOS, if not carry a written proof of your itinerary, and you'll get a boarding pass at the gate (the confirmation or boarding pass necessary to get trough the manned door to INT, and through passport control to the non-Schengen gates).

No wait at the entrance to the INT part of the terminal, usually just a short wait at passport control. As there are few facilities past passport control (just a small newsstand and cafe), you're probably better off waiting in one of the bars/ restaurants in the INT terminal or in a lounge if entitled. The lounges are all in the Schengen part of the terminal, i.e. pre-passport control.

80 minutes is about double minimum connection time at OSL, but not over-long as the non-Schengen gates are at the far end of the international terminal. OSL is LONG, about 800 meters, so count on a 10 - 15 minutes walk from arrival gate, to LHR gate. Arriving DOM passengers might have to backtrack from the arrival gate to the stairs to departure level.

In my opinion, connecting often at OSL, your connecting time is comfortable.

But as I started: no security check DOM-INT at OSL or DOM-DOM. Just for INT-DOM and INT-INT

UAFlyer Jan 8, 2011 3:26 am

MCT for INT-INT ?

Originally Posted by ksu (Post 13788774)
But as I started: no security check DOM-INT at OSL or DOM-DOM. Just for INT-DOM and INT-INT

So what is the minimum connection time for International to International for Oslo? Have an SK flight from Amsterdam arriving at 12:55pm, and an OS flight to Vienna leaving Oslo at 1:50pm. Is this doable at all ? Thanks.

Amexpat Jan 8, 2011 9:39 am

Originally Posted by UAFlyer (Post 15610148)
So what is the minimum connection time for International to International for Oslo? Have an SK flight from Amsterdam arriving at 12:55pm, and an OS flight to Vienna leaving Oslo at 1:50pm. Is this doable at all ? Thanks.

I don't know what the minimum would be, but I'd be comfortable with 55 minutes. They'll be no security to go through and since everything is Schengen, no passport control.

ksu Feb 1, 2011 3:37 am

There is security check when connecting int/int at osl

Originally Posted by Amexpat (Post 15611541)
I don't know what the minimum would be, but I'd be comfortable with 55 minutes. They'll be no security to go through and since everything is Schengen, no passport control.

There IS a security check when connecting INT/ INT at OSL, but as relatively few passengers connect INT/ INT at OSL waiting time is usually very short. Be aware that the INT/ INT security isn't open at all times, so you might at times have to go through customs and use the main departure security checkpoint (same procedure as passengers connecting INT/DOM). It should be open at that time of day, but if you are on a through ticket, or your incoming flight is on time, you should have sufficient time even if you have to go through main security, as this is the usual connecting time INT/DOM when you have to wait for your luggage and recheck it before going tthrough security

travelkid Feb 8, 2011 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ksu (Post 13788774)
the confirmation or boarding pass necessary to get trough the manned door to INT, and through passport control to the non-Schengen gates

There is no BP check anymore at these gates. Changed during 2010.

Aviatrix Mar 14, 2011 10:59 am

INT-DOM with baggage

As we've already gone off the original topic with the INT-INT question may I ask a question about INT-DOM?

I have a connection from CPH to TRD in a few weeks (could have gone on the direct CPH-TRD flight but times weren't as convenient). I assumed my baggage would be checked through, but have just read a passing comment in another thread suggesting that one has to collect and re-check one's baggage when transferring international to domestic in Norway.

It's a one-hour connection, and I was able to book it as a single itinerary so guess it's all right... but am just a bit concerned now after what I read about possibly having to collect and re-check baggage.

Is anyone able to enlighten me?

travelkid Mar 14, 2011 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix (Post 16032436)
As we've already gone off the original topic with the INT-INT question may I ask a question about INT-DOM?

I have a connection from CPH to TRD in a few weeks (could have gone on the direct CPH-TRD flight but times weren't as convenient). I assumed my baggage would be checked through, but have just read a passing comment in another thread suggesting that one has to collect and re-check one's baggage when transferring international to domestic in Norway.

It's a one-hour connection, and I was able to book it as a single itinerary so guess it's all right... but am just a bit concerned now after what I read about possibly having to collect and re-check baggage.

Is anyone able to enlighten me?

Sorry mac, you need to clear customs with any checked bags at OSL. Lot of lobbying to change it, but nothing looks to change in any near future.

Aviatrix Mar 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 16032661)
Sorry mac, you need to clear customs with any checked bags at OSL. Lot of lobbying to change it, but nothing looks to change in any near future.

Most of the indirect itineraries on the SAS web site have a connecting time of 55-60 minutes, so clearly this must be do-able (or they wouldn't be selling the flights).

Are there special arrangements for connecting passengers, US-style? I can't imagine how one would wait for baggage, go to a check-in desk and go back airside all in 55 minutes.

travelkid Mar 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix (Post 16033265)
Most of the indirect itineraries on the SAS web site have a connecting time of 55-60 minutes, so clearly this must be do-able (or they wouldn't be selling the flights).

Are there special arrangements for connecting passengers, US-style? I can't imagine how one would wait for baggage, go to a check-in desk and go back airside all in 55 minutes.

Even more sorry (called customs at OSL to verify), you need to pick up luggage, and go through customs like everyone. Then one level up to baggage drop, and through regular security.

Aviatrix Mar 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 16033742)
Even more sorry (called customs at OSL to verify), you need to pick up luggage, and go through customs like everyone. Then one level up to baggage drop, and through regular security.

I don't think you really understand my question.

When I travel to the USA I pick up my bag, go through customs and put it back on a special belt for connecting passengers. It is already tagged to its final destination, I don't have to join the normal check-in queue, I don't even have to interact with any human beings once I am through customs. I just drop my already-tagged bag and that's it.

I have now established (from the customer support desk at OSL) that 55 minutes is a legal connection so I shall assume that Norway operates a similar system to the USA because these 55 minute connections wouldn't be possible otherwise.

And, come to think of it - this is roughly how it all worked when I was flying back from Svalbard some years ago (which is also deemed "international" because of its special status). I did have to collect my bag and go through Customs at TOS, but I was able to drop it straight off again for my connecting flight to TRD.

travelkid Mar 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Unfortunately I did understand. There is no baggage drop after customs. You need to take the lift one level up to departure hall, but there you can drop it on bag drop (the only thing Im unsure of is whether you need to present the BP to drop it, and use the same bag drops as all those that have done OLCI).
Then security. Not at all as easy, though technically probably the same, as the US system in that regard.

OSL is a rather small airport, but then TOS is smaller (Svalbard might be the only "intnl" destination?)

Originally Posted by Aviatrix (Post 16033990)
I don't think you really understand my question.

When I travel to the USA I pick up my bag, go through customs and put it back on a special belt for connecting passengers. It is already tagged to its final destination, I don't have to join the normal check-in queue, I don't even have to interact with any human beings once I am through customs. I just drop my already-tagged bag and that's it.

I have now established (from the customer support desk at OSL) that 55 minutes is a legal connection so I shall assume that Norway operates a similar system to the USA because these 55 minute connections wouldn't be possible otherwise.

And, come to think of it - this is roughly how it all worked when I was flying back from Svalbard some years ago (which is also deemed "international" because of its special status). I did have to collect my bag and go through Customs at TOS, but I was able to drop it straight off again for my connecting flight to TRD.

Clipper801 Mar 15, 2011 9:38 am

I just flew LHR-OSL-BGO on SK. Yes, at OSL, you’ve to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear custom and drop off your bags on the departure level. All in <30 minutes including a toilet stop after collecting my bag and before clearing custom.

The immigration checkpoint was almost right at the gate as you disembark. No landing card or custom declaration form to fill out. Then just follow the sign to the baggage reclaim area. Collect your bag, if you have nothing to declare, go through the “Nothing To Declare” channel. A few custom officers were standing around chit chatting amongst themselves. They just waved me through. Once outside, there was a lift slightly to the left to go upstairs to the departure level. Went to the *G check-in, showed the agent my boarding pass, scanned the pass and the luggage tags, was asked whether I wanted to use my finger print or passport as ID. I used my finger print. Then go through security and the gate with some 15 minutes to spare before boarding commenced. At boarding, you will need to be finger printed (or present your passport depending on the method you chose) to match up with your hold baggage.

I was very impressed with the efficiency at OSL. Immigration officer was very friendly – asked the usual questions – purpose of the trip and how long would I be staying, etc. No hassle at custom. Unlike the U.S., I’d a feeling of being welcome as a tourist to Norway.

travelkid Mar 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801 (Post 16038460)
I just flew LHR-OSL-BGO on SK. Yes, at OSL, you’ve to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear custom and drop off your bags on the departure level. All in <30 minutes including a toilet stop after collecting my bag and before clearing custom.

The immigration checkpoint was almost right at the gate as you disembark. No landing card or custom declaration form to fill out. Then just follow the sign to the baggage reclaim area. Collect your bag, if you have nothing to declare, go through the “Nothing To Declare” channel. A few custom officers were standing around chit chatting amongst themselves. They just waved me through. Once outside, there was a lift slightly to the left to go upstairs to the departure level. Went to the *G check-in, showed the agent my boarding pass, scanned the pass and the luggage tags, was asked whether I wanted to use my finger print or passport as ID. I used my finger print. Then go through security and the gate with some 15 minutes to spare before boarding commenced. At boarding, you will need to be finger printed (or present your passport depending on the method you chose) to match up with your hold baggage.

I was very impressed with the efficiency at OSL. Immigration officer was very friendly – asked the usual questions – purpose of the trip and how long would I be staying, etc. No hassle at custom. Unlike the U.S., I’d a feeling of being welcome as a tourist to Norway.

Thanks! Very true, efficient and friendly I would say. But remember he used the *G check-in. And also that at rush hours there might be more lines, even though they open more lanes at security.