Wiki Posts
Search

OSL - domestic to international connection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:52 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
INT/DOM at OSL

Remember that most SAS passengers travelling domestically in Norway check in online or self-service at the airport. Worst case, you have to wait at the general bagdrop at OSL SK Check-In-desks for five minutes. Although baggage deadline for passengers originating in Oslo is 30/40 minutes, SK will be able to accept tagged luggage until about 20 minutes before scheduled take-off time. And if your luggage is accepted, you will be able to make it through security on time. As has been stated repeatedly on this board: OSL has rather long walking distances, but is very efficient and well run.

I had a 50 minute connection LH/SK today at OSL. My LH flight from FRA was due at 12.15, but arrived 7 minutes late, at 12.22. My connecting flight to KSU was at 13.05. I picked up my bag at 12.39, and was at business check-in at 12.43 ("plenty of time" according to the agent). So even with small delays, the apparently short connecting times at OSL are doable.

Another solution, which arrival services actually recommend especially if you can make it, but not your bags, and you are on the last flight of the day (often quite early on Saturdays!) is to leave the bags at OSL, and file a lost luggage claim at final destination. The bags will be customs cleared in your absence, and brought to you by SAS usually next day. In this scenario, I once even had the bags on the same flight as me! I've had to do this six or seven times, and I have always gotten my bags next day or earlier. But obviously: this is at your own risk, and probably best done by those who know they are going to be at their destination for at least a couple of days!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:21 am

Connecting from OSL to TOS

Hi guys, I thought I would add my question to this thread as their seemed to be similar questions (with variations) all being answered here. We've never been to Oslo Gardermoen airport before so I am a little nervous about making this connection.

We fly and land at OSL international at 6.50AM - we have checked luggage from the previous flight and then we have a 8.20AM OSL domestic flight to catch to go to Tromso (with luggage we'll need to check back in with a different non-alliance airline).

That means we have 90 minutes to rush off the plane, check into customs, pick up our bags, go through security and then rush to the domestic, check in our bags and rush to the departure gate.

Too risky? Should we book the next flight (7 hours after... ?).

Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by lardee
Hi guys, I thought I would add my question to this thread as their seemed to be similar questions (with variations) all being answered here. We've never been to Oslo Gardermoen airport before so I am a little nervous about making this connection.

We fly and land at OSL international at 6.50AM - we have checked luggage from the previous flight and then we have a 8.20AM OSL domestic flight to catch to go to Tromso (with luggage we'll need to check back in with a different non-alliance airline).

That means we have 90 minutes to rush off the plane, check into customs, pick up our bags, go through security and then rush to the domestic, check in our bags and rush to the departure gate.

Too risky? Should we book the next flight (7 hours after... ?).

No problem if you are on schedule and hurry. Do verify when your connecting airline close check-in. As you are on two itineraries you are not protected.

In that case I would rather take a day trip to Oslo. 20 minutes with express train.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by travelkid
No problem if you are on schedule and hurry. Do verify when your connecting airline close check-in. As you are on two itineraries you are not protected.

In that case I would rather take a day trip to Oslo. 20 minutes with express train.
They close check-ins 30 minutes from departure. So it means I have 55-60 minutes to race and get to the check in counter with our bags!

I'm so so nervous but we can haul if we need to!

Thanks for responding so quickly!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lardee
They close check-ins 30 minutes from departure. So it means I have 55-60 minutes to race and get to the check in counter with our bags!

I'm so so nervous but we can haul if we need to!

Thanks for responding so quickly!
Small airport, quick bags/customs etc, check in at kiosk, drop bag etc.

98% sure you will make it.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Small airport, quick bags/customs etc, check in at kiosk, drop bag etc.

98% sure you will make it.
The FTer to whom you were responding seems to have in effect just 60 minutes of scheduled connection time when there is a need to get bags checked in at OSL again.

Given that I've waited as long as 30 minutes within the past 12 months to get my bags at OSL (when they make it to OSL at all, which hasn't been the case always) and that my odds of having a 20+ minute delay on arrival into OSL have exceeded 2% of my trips there, I wouldn't be so fortunate to be as confident as you about my chances to make it if in that FTer's shoes. I'd probably still make it most of the time, but I'm sure that if I did it 20 times, I'd be out of luck at least once or twice.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Helps if OP tells us what flight he is on into OSL and out.

I take it there are no specific problems with OP, like wheelchair, need to declare something at customs etc.

Then you can check stats on how often you arrive on time. If you see your inbound is delayed you might change the connection onwards online befreo flying to OSL. If you are on DY you can do this with any tickets for a fee.

You wont need need more than 5 min from plane to bag belt. This early very few arrivals, and bag should be quick. Passing customs takes 1 minute, unless you are pulled over. No problem if you are clean. Also you wont be pulled over, and max a question or two.

Immigration could delay for a few minutes, but OP hasnt told us. Get a front seat on inbound.

After customs you have 3 minutes to check in kiosks one level up. Bag drop is quick. Estimate 5-15 minutes for security day depending. Then 2-5 minutes to the gate.

I dont see a problem.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:23 pm
Suspended

If the bags dont arrive, it probably doesnt matter if you have 7 hours. File the paperwork at TOS, in case there is a line in arrival hall for lost luggage.

If you loose the bags, you will be quicker to check in for next flight
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If the bags dont arrive, it probably doesnt matter if you have 7 hours. File the paperwork at TOS, in case there is a line in arrival hall for lost luggage.

If you loose the bags, you will be quicker to check in for next flight
... unfortunately it doesn't work that way if the bags are lost. If the bags are lost, the passenger will generally be slower to check-in for the next flight as the passenger with the lost bag will ordinarily be waiting until after the last of the bags are delivered on the belt at OSL and then even some time after that to see what happened. Having been in this kind of situation repeatedly at OSL, it's not a fun thing to experience when on a rather expensive, inflexible ticket/itinerary whose value may plummet if unable to check-in on time for the OSL-departing flight.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
... unfortunately it doesn't work that way if the bags are lost. If the bags are lost, the passenger will generally be slower to check-in for the next flight as the passenger with the lost bag will ordinarily be waiting until after the last of the bags are delivered on the belt at OSL and then even some time after that to see what happened. Having been in this kind of situation repeatedly at OSL, it's not a fun thing to experience when on a rather expensive, inflexible ticket/itinerary whose value may plummet if unable to check-in on time for the OSL-departing flight.
As mentioned they would know before they depart for OSL if they are delayed. Then change connection before boarding for OSL.

If you loose bags closely watch clock, and consider changing TOS flight.
Party is at least 2 pax, so one can go to change and/or check-in while one takes care of bags.

Did I also mention travel insurance + there are plenty of TOS flights throughout the day.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:41 pm

Talking

Ooh.. That's definitely an idea. Can definitely split up and while one waits for bags, the other lines up to check in.

But we're both young and able, can run and will make sure we get out on time if it's within our control. Either way, we'll know by the time we're prepping to leave Bangkok whether or not we'll be massively delayed and maybe a quick chat to the hostesses will help us on our way.. That or you'll find me logging in while we're halfway there and I'll be sweating and spewing bullets, ranting and raving!!

But thanks guys, all been über insightful!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gld, Marriott Gld
Have the following on hold and want to confirm feasibility:

Inbound on UA38 EWR-OSL, scheduled to land at 9:50am
Outbound on SK4733 OSL-SPU, scheduled to depart at 10:40am.

50 min connection. Probability of checked baggage is high. Seems doable based on the thread above. Thoughts?

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:41 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
INT/INT

Originally Posted by Jrap33
Have the following on hold and want to confirm feasibility:

Inbound on UA38 EWR-OSL, scheduled to land at 9:50am
Outbound on SK4733 OSL-SPU, scheduled to depart at 10:40am.

50 min connection. Probability of checked baggage is high. Seems doable based on the thread above. Thoughts?

Thanks
This is very feasible on a through ticket. The challenges described above, concerns connections from international flights onto domestic flights, where (for the time being) all connecting luggage has to be customs cleared and rechecked at OSL. Your intinerary is from an international flight to another international flight. The luggage will be checked through from Newark to Split. You will go through passport control and transfer security at OSL, but both are reasonably quick. Should you be delayed into OSL, SK/UA will reroute you (and give you a voucher for food/drink), probably on Lufthansa.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gld, Marriott Gld
Originally Posted by ksu
This is very feasible on a through ticket. The challenges described above, concerns connections from international flights onto domestic flights, where (for the time being) all connecting luggage has to be customs cleared and rechecked at OSL. Your intinerary is from an international flight to another international flight. The luggage will be checked through from Newark to Split. You will go through passport control and transfer security at OSL, but both are reasonably quick. Should you be delayed into OSL, SK/UA will reroute you (and give you a voucher for food/drink), probably on Lufthansa.
Got it, INT-INT is quick, thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:09 pm

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.