Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Lockers at Stockholm's T-Centralen (Central Station)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lockers at Stockholm's T-Centralen (Central Station)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They are doing massive renovations within the station, and all baggage lockers (actually, newer, fancier ones that still only accept SEK5 and SEK10 coins) have been moved from the "basement" to the main floor. Even those with traditional 28" rectangular luggage will have issues storing those!
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Renovations indeed. Even McDonalds is gone (at least for now).

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
No ski lockers? In Sweden??? I'll have to verify that in a couple of weeks. Maybe in the bus station?
Half of the population in Sweden is 200+ miles from any reasonably decent skiing, and Stockholm itself is a rather awful place to be for a ski-lover.

Sweden is no Switzerland (or Austria for that matter), which is why self-service ski storage lockers seemed basically non-existent to me in Stockholm.

The renovated lockers are a lot better looking than the older ones, but the largest ones still leave a lot to be desired (just as noted above).

I should be by there early next week and hunt around to see what can be done for skis.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Renovations indeed. Even McDonalds is gone (at least for now).

Half of the population in Sweden is 200+ miles from any reasonably decent skiing, and Stockholm itself is a rather awful place to be for a ski-lover.

Sweden is no Switzerland (or Austria for that matter), which is why self-service ski storage lockers seemed basically non-existent to me in Stockholm.

The renovated lockers are a lot better looking than the older ones, but the largest ones still leave a lot to be desired (just as noted above).

I should be by there early next week and hunt around to see what can be done for skis.
Stockholm isn't great for skiing, but I'm presently staying with a friend whose semi-suburban apartment building is surrounded by plenty of XC-ski-friendly pathways, when the winter is snowy as it was last winter.

I've stored XC equipment in those Stockholm Central lockers many times; will have to scope out possibilities when I return to town next weekend if you don't get a chance to check it out before then.

Must say that the station has needed spiffing up for a long time. I understand that major construction is planned for the area, with many new apartment buildings etc. and improvements to T-Centralen as well.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:47 am

Follow-up: I took a suitcase to T-Centralen around 11:30 this morning. Very busy--people were actually waiting around for lockers to be vacated so they could snag one! Many lockers have been removed, but as far as I can see it's due to extensive summer construction at street and lower levels. Of course, not much hardship in losing ski lockers over the summer. I'll bet they'll be back when the work is done.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:44 am
Suspended

Follow-up: I took a suitcase to T-Centralen around 11:30 this morning. Very busy--people were actually waiting around for lockers to be vacated so they could snag one! Many lockers have been removed, but as far as I can see it's due to extensive summer construction at street and lower levels. Of course, not much hardship in losing ski lockers over the summer. I'll bet they'll be back when the work is done.
There is indeed currently a shortage of lockers at the train station. It was this way all of last week too (even at times of the day when the station itself looked fairly empty). Until additional lockers are made available downstairs, this situation -- of not being able to expect timely availability of an appropriately-sized locker (if any) -- can be expected to continue as long as it is peak travel season for Swedes.

There seem to currently be no lockers designed to host full-size regular skis upright, even if there were available lockers. Perhaps some of the largest sized lockers are deep enough that some pair of (shorter) skis could be made to fit, otherwise counting on a hotel storage room may be a more reliable bet.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:31 am

I wouldn't worry too much unless you have immediate plans to travel with skis. Construction projects don't seem to drag on endlessly the way they do in, say, NYC. I've been struck that in Paris the Metro projects end ON TIME, and speaking with a Stockholm friend he concurred that local projects are similarly efficient. Must be nice ;-)

I'll be checking before I bring my skis to Stockholm next winter but I'm not terribly worried.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wouldn't worry too much unless you have immediate plans to travel with skis.
What about sane people who skip Scandinavian winters (although I do miss going to hockey & bandy games) and visit in the summer with golf clubs?

Yes, hopefully large lockers will be back by winter, so that I can continue losing dozens of golf balls into the Swedish forests in the summers.

As an aside, how reliable/willing are the bellman at Radisson Royal Viking with non-guests storing bags there for a few hours? How about a day or two? I ran into a situation this past weekend where it would've helped storing my travel golf bag and another duffle back there for two nights while we stayed in Hornsberg at a friend's apartment. Then, it would've been easier/cheaper to reach T-Centralen, reclaim the luggage, and take Arlanda Express to the airport instead of paying SEK745 for a large van.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:45 am

Hello,

How's the locker situation now? Are they likely to be full at around 09:00 on a Monday morning next month?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: SK EB*G
Originally Posted by kilton
Hello,

How's the locker situation now? Are they likely to be full at around 09:00 on a Monday morning next month?
I'm a resident and passes through the area frequently - the renovations for the locker area is finished and (I assume) at full capacity. I haven't noticed any crowds hanging around waiting for lockers - you should be fine.

Small disclaimer: As I live here, I don't use the lockers myself.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:43 am

Reviving an old thread. Our cruise ship disembarks passengers May 28th and we're catching early morning flight home next morning. Two part question:

1. Any updates since 2012 on lockers. Any additional lockers added as I've read by mid morning most are taken. We tentatively plan on 1 large and 2 carry-ons.

2. What's the best way to Clarion airport hotel? Catch evening train to airport and then use their shuttle to get to hotel?

Many thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dtsm
Reviving an old thread. Our cruise ship disembarks passengers May 28th and we're catching early morning flight home next morning. Two part question:

1. Any updates since 2012 on lockers. Any additional lockers added as I've read by mid morning most are taken. We tentatively plan on 1 large and 2 carry-ons.

2. What's the best way to Clarion airport hotel? Catch evening train to airport and then use their shuttle to get to hotel?

Many thanks.
I've been finding lockers throughout the day there, even during peak vacation periods. It has required looking around and sometimes waiting for someone to pick up their stuff, but there are a lot more lockers than there were in 2010-2012. The lockers are split on at least two levels of the station. Perhaps there are also lockers at the city bus terminal attached to the central train station, but I haven't paid much attention there as I'm usually in a mad dash to there when I've just missed the Arlanda Express or expect to miss it.

The Clarion airport hotel is attached to the airport and you can walk in one minute from the hotel to the closest terminal building, and add several more minutes for the walk from the terminal building entrance to/from the Arlanda Express tracks. In the direction of interest to you, it would take the same time.

The options to get from the city center to the airport which I use are as follows:

1. Taxi -- most expensive but not always a bad value relative to the Arlanda Express if in a travel party of two or more.

2. Arlanda Express train -- fastest, at least if you time it right and are at Central Station to get your luggage

3. flygbussen bus -- slower than a taxi, but frequent, reliable and rather cheap. I use it when I know I'll miss the Arlanda Express by a minute and have to wait 15-19 minutes for the next train since it isn't much slower than a taxi.

4. SL (public transport) system train to Marsta and then public bus to Arlanda Airport -- cheapest but slowest, and no additional expense when I have an SL day pass that I'm using to get around Stockholm. This method frequently takes me an additional 20-45 minutes over the other above options.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2015 at 2:30 am
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP

Many thanks.
I take it you want lockers for exploring the city before heading out for the airport. The storage/lockers situation has improved the last few years.

1. Although not personally used a locker in the last six months, but whenever I pass locker areas coming in/out of the station, there are always pax loading/unloading lockers despite time of the day. Please note that there are lockers on all three floors, and the last time using lockers here, the availability seemed better on the upper floor (but could have been a coincidence)

2. Regardless if you come by train or bus, your hotel is just across the street from the airport, no shuttle needed (propably not even available). Just take the complimentary luggage cart to the connecting floor and roll away.

You can see the short distance on the map here

Coming with regular train or commuter train, you'll stop at Central Station. With Arlanda Express, either at Södra (South) station or Norra (North) Station, the latter slightly closer. Taking the airport buses, get off at Sky City, which is just across the street from Clarion Hotel.

Happy travel !
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:39 am

Thanks to both for the update. The Clarion is fully booked so we reserved Radisson Blu, which I understand is located btw intl/dommestic terminals.

We'll plan to disembark ship, store luggage at Central Station and take the Arlanda Express to airport later that evening. They're offering a two for one promotion, SK300 and if we miss a train will just wait for next one
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:31 am
Suspended

Thanks to both for the update. The Clarion is fully booked so we reserved Radisson Blu, which I understand is located btw intl/dommestic terminals.

We'll plan to disembark ship, store luggage at Central Station and take the Arlanda Express to airport later that evening. They're offering a two for one promotion, SK300 and if we miss a train will just wait for next one
The RadissonBlu SkyCity hotel is indeed located in the airport section called SkyCity that is between the terminals. Before the Clarion opened at the airport, this Radisson hotel was my staple if I came into ARN late and was leaving on the 6-6:30 am flights. Both hotels work very well for overnight layovers. Did you use the CarlsonF rate?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I needed a locker to fit a golf bag, and the only ones that had that size was the bus terminal located across the street from the train station. The lockers in the train station should be able to fit your typical 28-30" suitcase.

so we reserved Radisson Blu, which I understand is located btw intl/dommestic terminals.
There are actually two Radisson Blu hotels: SkyCity and Arlandia. The SkyCity is connected to the airport, and the Arlandia requires a shuttle bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.