Wiki Posts
Search

norway in a nutshell questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

norway in a nutshell questions

Hi,

I'll be going to Norway in April and am planning on doing the norway in a nutshell tour from oslo->bergen->oslo. I understand the tour is more of a "do-it-yourself" tour that provides an itinerary and all transportation is via local transit. I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you could answer:

1) Do I need to make reservations for transportation ahead of time, or will it be cheaper to wait to buy tickets until I get there? If I buy tickets when I get there, will the train station know what I want when I ask for tickets for the oslo->bergen->oslo norway in a nutshell itinerary?

2) We're be doing the 3 night / 4 day itinerary. We're definitely staying 1 night in Bergen, and will take the overnight train from Bergen->Oslo on the last day, but are trying to decide where to stay overnight for the 1 additional night. So far we're considering Flam, Voss, or Stalheim. Any suggestions?

3) Should/can we spring for first class accommodations on any of the trains? Do ppl recommend a sleeper seat on the Bergen->Oslo leg as we'll be taking a transatlantic flight that same day?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by smunky
Hi,

I'll be going to Norway in April and am planning on doing the norway in a nutshell tour from oslo->bergen->oslo. I understand the tour is more of a "do-it-yourself" tour that provides an itinerary and all transportation is via local transit. I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you could answer:

1) Do I need to make reservations for transportation ahead of time, or will it be cheaper to wait to buy tickets until I get there? If I buy tickets when I get there, will the train station know what I want when I ask for tickets for the oslo->bergen->oslo norway in a nutshell itinerary?

2) We're be doing the 3 night / 4 day itinerary. We're definitely staying 1 night in Bergen, and will take the overnight train from Bergen->Oslo on the last day, but are trying to decide where to stay overnight for the 1 additional night. So far we're considering Flam, Voss, or Stalheim. Any suggestions?

3) Should/can we spring for first class accommodations on any of the trains? Do ppl recommend a sleeper seat on the Bergen->Oslo leg as we'll be taking a transatlantic flight that same day?

Thanks!
Hey there. Norway in a Nutshell was a great experience for me. I'll try to help as much as I can.

1. I didn't make reservations when I was there and that was in the middle of July. So, I wouldn't say that reservations are necessary. Although it you really want to be safe you can make reservations. All you have to ask for is Norway in a Nutshell and they will guide you through the different departure options. You'll have no problems there.

2. There is wonderful hotel at Stalheim. It has a mind blowing view that I would definately recommend. It's just called the Stalheim hotel if I recall correctly. Here's a picture I took of the view. http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4...talheimcz3.jpg

3. I honestly couldn't tell much of a different between the train classes. I actually preferred the 2nd class because it was like airline seating and you weren't facing people like you would be in 1st class. I only went as far as Voss, so I can't help on the 2nd part of your questions.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I don't seem to have the links (I'll keep looking) but check the prices for the bergen-oslo train leg to see if there is any sale pricing available. It might be significantly cheaper to buy that ticket separate from the NIAN package. I did bergen-bergen with NIAN, then had a separate train ticket to Oslo, IIRC I bought a 1st class ticket for less than the standard regular class thanks to a sale.

If you haven't already, seach this forum for NIAN and you'll find a lot of information/questions from others
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the help
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Is this "sales pricing" that you refer to the minipris ticket? If so, should I purchase the entire itinerary using minipris tickets ahead of time instead of purchasing the NIAN tickets when I get there?

Also, I was planning on taking the night train from Bergen->Oslo and then head to the airport for my flight back to the US - should I instead fly from Bergen->Oslo so that I can fly directly into the airport?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I would purchase the NIAN deal b/c it's easier that way ... if you're not going at peak time, just buy it when you arrive. In my case, I ended up there during a strike of the ferry so they just left us on the bus for a longer portion -- I wasn't pleased (and had to explain to an Italian couple what was happening - I don't speak italian!) but I had prepaid and they weren't offering refunds.

Yes minipris is the sale -- I used the option to pick up the ticket at "my seat" and had no problems. If you're going direct to the airport, I'd just fly and not bother at all with the train, especially the overnight. During the NIAN you'll have the chance to see the scenery. In both Bergen and Oslo, the airport is a ride from the city. I used the airport bus in Bergen (from the airport) - there are a number of pickups all over the city; in Oslo it's the train.

It's beautiful country - enjoy your trip (but be prepared for the sticker shock, its a very expensive country to visit)
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:20 am
Original Poster

thanks, I'm still trying to decide which city I should stay overnight in along the way from oslo->bergen (so far considering Flam, Voss, or Stalheim), so if anyone has any other suggestions, pls let me know!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 2:57 pm

I did this trip with a railpass in late September 2000. I only needed to add the boat and bus segments, plus a sleeping compartment back from Bergen. The Oslo Rail Station ticket office was very helpful in getting me just the additional tickets I needed, and "Norway in a Nutshell" was definitely a known concept.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

great, thanks, i'll wait to purchase my NIN tickets until i arrive in oslo then
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:40 pm

Do give us a trip report when you get back, Smunky! I'll be seeing much of the same area in May and would love to read a fresh report!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

will do. I decided to take the norway in a nutshell itinerary from oslo to bergen and then to fly back to oslo to make my flight home (instead of the overnight train since it came out to about the same price). still deciding where to overnight though (Flam, Voss, or Stalheim)...i'm considering skiing in voss but i'm not sure how good the conditions will be in early april
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

There is no first and second class anymore. There's something called NSB Komfort that only costs NOK 75 (USD 12) each way no matter how long the journey is.

It's worth the money! You get a table, more legroom, PC power, free Coffee and Tea and free newspapers. It doesn't have to be booked in advance, but to get the best seats, it might be worth getting the ticket online

http://www.nsb.no/internet/no/Guide_...b=&language=no

Sorry, Norwegian only
Old May 21, 2007, 7:28 pm

Just returned.

Overnighted in Flam at the Fretheim. Would recommend it. Stunning scenery and great shopping just a short walking distance from the hotel.

Also saw the Stalheim hotel and it would be a breathtaking place to stay. If you choose otherwise, however, that doesn't mean you can't stop at the Stalheim Hotel and check out the view and the Nazi Bunker on the premises.
Old May 31, 2007, 6:32 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Did you buy the tour or do it individually?

If you buy the tour, can you still upgrade to the better seats?

I am targeting Sep 2 (Sunday) to go one way from Oslo to Bergen.

Far as I can tell, this consists of:
  • Oslo to Bergen train - 750kr (get off at Myrdal)
  • Scenic train from Myrdal to Flam - 100kr
  • Cruise from Flam to Gudvangen - 200kr (**seems there is an option for a Sognefjord Express Boat from Flam to Bergen too**)
  • Bus from Gudvangen to Voss - 100kr
  • Re-catch the Oslo to Bergen train in Voss and stay on until Bergen

So, individually this appears to be about 1150 NOK (appx $192) while Fjourd Tours is selling for 1165 NOK (appx $195).

Are those individual prices about right?
Anyone recommend taking the express boat from Flam instead of doing the bus/ train?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:02 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Is it possible to do NIAN from Bergen in just two days? (something like arriving in BGO Friday at noon and leaving Monday morning).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.