Wiki Posts
Search

Norway airport question

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Norway airport question

I recently flew BGO-OSL-KEF and at no point was I asked to show my ID. Is this normal? I did online check-in, dropped off my luggage at the automated counter and to board the flights, there were automatic gates where you just scanned your boarding pass. First time this has ever happened to me.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Quite normal for an intra-Schengen flight to not have routine ID checks

The point where you normally may have to show ID is checking a bag, perhaps the automated machines don’t do this. Are you sure you didn’t scan it as part of the process, or that the passport details were attached to your reservation?
Old May 2, 2022, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Quite normal for an intra-Schengen flight to not have routine ID checks

The point where you normally may have to show ID is checking a bag, perhaps the automated machines don’t do this. Are you sure you didn’t scan it as part of the process, or that the passport details were attached to your reservation?
It was an Aeroplan booking so perhaps my passport info was linked but at no point was I asked for it nor did I need to scan it. To get my luggage tag, I just entered my reference code. I just thought it was odd as someone could just pay someone else to fly for them and rack up the points. Perhaps it is a security issue as well.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
It is perfectly normal to fly without any ID checks within Scandinavia and certain other parts of Europe.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Nope, you don't need to show ID when using self service bag drops, at least in Scandinavia, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I had several flights out of these countries on bookings which definitely didn't have any ID attached and I was able to use self service bag drop. This is perfectly normal.

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
It was an Aeroplan booking so perhaps my passport info was linked but at no point was I asked for it nor did I need to scan it. To get my luggage tag, I just entered my reference code. I just thought it was odd as someone could just pay someone else to fly for them and rack up the points. Perhaps it is a security issue as well.
Yes, it could be theoretically misused this way but apparently airlines don't consider this risk high enough to justify spending money on doing manual check-in / boarding.

As for security risk, everyone goes through security control anyway, so...
GUWonder and :D! like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm sure that people have flown under other people's names within the Nordic Passport Union to rack up frequent flyer miles/points for other people's accounts. In other words, it's not just theoretical. But if such Mickey Mouse traveler games aren't very costly to the airline, the airline flying on a route may just have better things to do with the money than try to eliminate such Mickey Mouse FFP schemes.

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
I recently flew BGO-OSL-KEF and at no point was I asked to show my ID. Is this normal? I did online check-in, dropped off my luggage at the automated counter and to board the flights, there were automatic gates where you just scanned your boarding pass. First time this has ever happened to me.
It's within the range of normal when flying from Norway to another Nordic Passport Union country. Even otherwise for intra-Schengen travel, its' within the range of normal.

That said, if doing manual check-in with SAS reps at OSL for international OSL-NPU country trips, I've at times seen the reps demand passports at check-in even when it is indeed not required by airline nor by the governments. For example, even a few years pre-2015 too, I made sure to get involved in a discussion with a Pakistani-Norwegian SAS employee at OSL when he insisted that passports had to be shown to check in for SAS flights for which there was no such requirement applicable to the relevant passengers. He had basically engaged in racist profiling in demanding passports for travelers not required to show passports to fly internationally from OSL to another NPU country, and I wasn't shy to call it out for what it was: judging a book (improperly) by the cover, when not required.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:25 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
There is no legal requirement to carry picture ID in Norway. You have to identify you if the police requests this, but name, address and 11 digit personal number is sufficient. At times with heightened security, the airlines or authorities might impose an ID-check. Everything concerning check-in and boarding is done automatically now in any case.

The only form for transportation where the do check IDs domestically is when travelling on Hurtigruten (the coastal steamer).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.