Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Odense - train schedules to and from CPH ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2004, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

I am looking at http://www.dsb.dk/english/ and I think misreading the schedules or picking the wrong stations.

I have a meeting Saturday February 21 in Odense.

What I would like to do is leave US (SJC or ... ) Wednesday, arrive in Odense Thursday, thus allowing one extra incoming day in case of weather delays, and leave on Sunday, getting home on Sunday, and make connections that work (and of course earn miles). What looks OK is AA to LHR and BA to CPH if I can figure out the train schedules and make the times work coming back on Sunday. Alternative is to stay 'til Monday if Sunday schedules are lighter.

Since it will be winter, I think I don't want to plan a stop either in Copenhagen or London, but I'm open to suggestions.

Sylvia
Old Jan 6, 2004, 2:51 pm

For all European rail schedules, German Rail (DB) is a good bet. Searching for journeys from Kastrup (Copenhagen airport station) to Odense shows that there is an hourly service, even on Sundays, taking a little under two hours.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

On Sunday, there is a bit of a gap between early morning trains from Odense to Kastrup(between 04:39 and 07:05), but nevertheless there is a train as early as 3:49am if you really need it! (If you want to catch the 7:15am flight out of CPH, that's what you'll need. Change at Glostrup for a slightly earlier arrival in CPH.)
Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! That seems to be the same software but with a much easier database. Now I can coordinate with the flights

Sylvia
Old Jan 6, 2004, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I'm not a moderator, don't even play one on TV, but you might get better responses to this question in the Scandinavia or Europe (Eastern/Western) fora in the Travel section. I don't think most AA flyers are experts on Danish surface travel.

(I know, more people visit this forum than those, but that's like the guy who dropped his car keys in the middle of the block but searched for them on the corner because the light was better there. )
Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I thought about whether to post in SAS or Travel - Europe and decided to try here first. I think I have now what I needed, except AA online won't now price the itinerary <sigh>. I thought here I might have other connection suggestions as well as the train information. Sometimes it's not always clear where is best to post.

Sylvia
Old Jan 7, 2004, 3:29 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SylviaCaras:
I thought about whether to post in SAS or Travel - Europe and decided to try here first. I think I have now what I needed, except AA online won't now price the itinerary &lt;sigh&gt;. I thought here I might have other connection suggestions as well as the train information. Sometimes it's not always clear where is best to post.

Sylvia
</font>
Sorry I only got to this topic today. Tell me if there is anything more you want to know, as I do this trip quite frequently.
You take the train directly from the Kastrup Airport Terminal wit a travel time of around 1 hour 20/30 min.

Old Jan 7, 2004, 3:41 am

Info from a person living in Denmark:
A train leaves every hour XX:40 from Copenhagen Airport to Odense. You do not need to change trains.

From Copenhagen Central Station train departs to Odense as follows:
monday-fridays:
xx:56 (only one stop) duration approx 1:20
xx:00 (5 stops) duration approx. 1:35
xx:30 (7 stops) duration approx. 1:40

on saturday/sundays it is the same, except the xx:56 does not operate.

two classes onboard the trains: Business and Standard. - Despite whatever country you come from, sitting in "standard" is perfect. The condition of the trains are very good and it is a beautiful trip. During the journey you will run through a tunnel (under the water) for approx 7km and a bridge for approx 10 km (can't remember the figures).

Ine Business you will get bread in the morning, and a small biscutt during the rest of the day. You will have free coffee/tea/orange juice/water during the trip.

From Copenhagen Airport trains leaves during the day:
XX:06
xx:26
XX:46
more infrequent during the night.

Ask if you need more questions.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 4:34 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Moved to FT Travel as it's really not AA related.

------------------
777Brit
AA Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SylviaCaras:
Since it will be winter, I think I don't want to plan a stop either in Copenhagen or London, but I'm open to suggestions.
Sylvia[/B]</font>
I would fly to CPH (thought of SAS?) and take the train to Odense. Neither city is the greatest in the winter with very litle sun, but you can enjoy them both for a day of relaxation. Lots to see in Copenhagen, and if you are interested, you can visit H.C. Andersen's home in Odense.

Old Jan 8, 2004, 8:52 am
Original Poster

AAEXP, thanks for the expertise. May I buy a train ticket in advance? On the train? Use a credit card? ... ?

And if you have a suggestion for an indoor activity in Odense? (I've allowed one extra advance day to allow for weather and flight cancellations. This trip is to plan a conference there in July and in July I've allowed time for Odense and Copenhagen sightseeing, with a list developed with the help of FlyerTalkers.)

I like Scandinavian design very much, would enjoy a museum or upscale household or clothes shopping, ...

Sylvia
Old Jan 14, 2004, 6:46 pm

It's very easy to buy a train ticket at the station and you can use a credit card or cash. I very much doubt reservations would be an issue at this time, but you could phone if you wanted to make sure.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 2:54 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
AAEXP, thanks for the expertise. May I buy a train ticket in advance? On the train? Use a credit card? ... ?

And if you have a suggestion for an indoor activity in Odense? (I've allowed one extra advance day to allow for weather and flight cancellations. This trip is to plan a conference there in July and in July I've allowed time for Odense and Copenhagen sightseeing, with a list developed with the help of FlyerTalkers.)

I like Scandinavian design very much, would enjoy a museum or upscale household or clothes shopping, ...

Sylvia
</font>
The question on tickets has beed answered by WillTravel. Just before you go down to the train platform at the Kastrup Terminal there is a big ticket office where you can buy your ticket. I agree that reservations should not be necessary in advance at this time of the year.

In Odense the Hans Christian Andersen House is a must. For art and design try Brandt's Klaedefabrik.

Apart from that you have much more to see in Copenhagen in the arts and design field. I would not spend all that much time in Odense this time of the year. Funen is beautiful in late spring and summer, but not in January/February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.