Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in Helsinki

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

What to do in Helsinki

I have a stopover in Helsinki for a day and a half. I arrive at 8:50 on a Monday morning and depart at 4:00 pm on Tuesday. I plan on staying at the Hilton. I've never been here before and would like to get an overview of the city. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations. I'll be there the third week in May. Does anyone know what the weather is typically like then? Will the sun be shining late into the evening at that time of year? Is it an expensive city for food/drinks? Is there any good local food/dishes you can recommend? Can I get by fairly easily with just a phrase-book?

Any advice or insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It will still be quite cold in May, but the sun should be popping out more. Most people speak English since no one but a Fin speaks Suomi. What to do in May? Drink and try to stay warm and dry.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Stimpy, thanks for the feedback. When you say cold, just how cold are we talking? Ice and snow cold; London drizzle and fog cold; need a light jacket cold; or t-shirt weather but too cold to swim outside?

Are there any must-sees for a first timer to Helsinki?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's sort of mild there due to all the water. I'd guess 40F maybe. And wet! You can never tell with May.

As for what to see, I've only been on business and not seen much myself. I tried www.finland.com which says it will be online in Feb '04. If you go to the Hilton website it has a list of sights to see for their Helsinki property.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The english-language page of one of the leading papers, the Helsingin Sanomat, has some interesting information. Look in the lower right for some frequently asked questions and a quick language lesson:

http://www.helsinki-hs.net/
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:49 am

Well, I'd take a walk down to the market near the harbor. Get a day pass for the trams and take the loop tram - might be number 5? it will give you a nice view of Helsinki. There is a modern art museum near the city center - visit the stone church. Take a boat ride.

pretty good day Helsinki is a really nice city to visit

ps you can take a bus in from the airport to city center for 5 euros - taxis are VERY expensive in Helsinki - plan on walking a lot.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Take good walking shoes, a good sweater and an oilskin. Walk a lot, take a trip on the water if the weather is nice, buy what you plan on drinking in the duty free shop BEFORE you get to Finnland and make sure you enjoy a real sauna. Experience of a lifetime.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:58 pm

I set up a page for finland on my rtw site. It's got several good links for you. Go here, and click the Finland link on the right. One of the two lonely planet links is specific to Helsinki.

www.geocities.com/j379pa

JP
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:36 pm

Nobody has mentioned the Seurasaari outdoor museum yet, so I will -- it's great when the weather is nice. The island is basically a piece of largely untouched nature, with a large collection of old Finnish houses (read: variations of 'log cabin') on one side, a trail around the whole place (easily walkable in less than an hour) and plenty of little cafes and such to take breaks.

Take bus 24 from Erottaja square in the center all the way to the last stop (~20 min?). Entrance is free, optional guided tours will set you back a few euros and aren't necessary unless you're a history/architecture buff.

For an all-in-one bar/cafe/restaurant/jazz lounge combo in Finnish style, Kappeli ("Chapel") in Esplanadi park is unbeatable. As the name hints, it used to be a chapel and the old-world decor is impressive. Not cheap, but no cover charge, except for the jazz cellar (only) if there's a particularly famous guest playing. Teatteri ("Theater"), at the other end of the park, is a more modern and hip variation on the same theme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.