Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Finland 100 years in 2017

Old Mar 12, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FFlash
Finland became an independent state on December 6, 1917.

Events in Turku (old capital of Finland, 2 hours west of Helsinki):
15-25th May Wood anemone flower blossom in Ruissalo natural park
13th June IAAF World Challenge "Paavo Nurmi games""
29th June - 2nd July Medieval market
7-9th July Ruisrock rock music festival
14-16th July Turku Castle Medieval Tournament
20-23th July "Tall ship's races" by the riverside with half million visitors expected
27-29th July Famous city music festivals "Down by the pier"
General recommendation in Turku is NOT to look anything special in town nor marketplace, it is ugly. The places you SHOULD look is the beautiful and lively riverside and surroundings where people pass their time.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK

We Finns are celebrating 100 years of independence since 1917 (6th December) and now is prime time for all kinds of happenings. Last night took off a spectacular fireworks event in Helsinki, hopefully some of FT people were there.

I thought starting a thread here to help FT'ers ask questions and seek advice for visits in Finland. I will start by adding a simple webpage to look for more information about the jubilee year, activities, spots, tips etc.

Here is the link for Finland 100 years pages in several languages
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Hopefully we'll be there in 2017. It will be our first stop (flying in to Helsinki) on a 2 week trip throughout the Nordic countries.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I was in Helsinki just over a year ago,mind you it was VERY cold!! But I enjoyed it very much,even had a pint in the Pickwick Pub opposite the station,but had trouble finding a public toilet!But I loved the city,and will be back again in March!!!,but only a 'flying' visit after going to Tallin,hopefully will be a bit warmer!!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by liamvad
I was in Helsinki just over a year ago,mind you it was VERY cold!!!
Mind you, I always tell people the COLD is not that bad, it can be fought back with warm clothing, but the only TRUE problem we have here up north is the darkness. Therefore, my advice for winter trips is, either you plan for aurora borealis or other darkness-watching thing, or you plan your trip short in order to avoid the depression
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:45 am
Original Poster

If anyone happens to be in Helsinki this weekend, you cannot avoid paying attention to the LUX Light Festival going on the weekend.

Here is more information about the installation
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:17 pm

I'm visiting Finland this August and didn't realize it was the 100th anniversary. I look forward to seeing what special events might be happening while I'm there.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We have a 9 day driving trip (early July) planned, we can start in either Oslo or Helsinki - both cities would cost the same number of AA miles. From what I read a Oslo start would involve a fair amount of extra driving to get to the most scenic locations, Finland seems more practical - also Helsinki has Hiltons so our first and last night would be free.

Would love some some input from you guys, we would want to see the usual stuff similiar to driving Highway 1 from Seattle to San Francisco.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
You are right. If you want to see Helsinki and the area around Bergen, a driving trip starting in Oslo wouldn't make any sense. On the other hand, if you don't want to drive in Finland, why not take the ferry to Stockholm and start the driving from there.

Also 9 days is not a lot. I would plan as a minimum Hki 1 night, Ferry to Stockholm 1 night, Stockholm 1 night, Oslo 1 night, on way to Bergen 1 night, Bergen 2 nights, on way to Stockholm 2 nights, Ferry 1 night, Helsinki 1 night.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kmandrew
We have a 9 day driving trip (early July) planned, we can start in either Oslo or Helsinki - both cities would cost the same number of AA miles. From what I read a Oslo start would involve a fair amount of extra driving to get to the most scenic locations, Finland seems more practical - also Helsinki has Hiltons so our first and last night would be free.

Would love some some input from you guys, we would want to see the usual stuff similiar to driving Highway 1 from Seattle to San Francisco.
Originally Posted by tsastor
You are right. If you want to see Helsinki and the area around Bergen, a driving trip starting in Oslo wouldn't make any sense. On the other hand, if you don't want to drive in Finland, why not take the ferry to Stockholm and start the driving from there.

Also 9 days is not a lot. I would plan as a minimum Hki 1 night, Ferry to Stockholm 1 night, Stockholm 1 night, Oslo 1 night, on way to Bergen 1 night, Bergen 2 nights, on way to Stockholm 2 nights, Ferry 1 night, Helsinki 1 night.
tsastor, are you in private communication with kmandrew, or what? I saw nothing in his message about wanting to go to Bergen, nor is there anything about not wanting to drive in Finland. Sorry, but where did you get these ideas?

I think 9 days is a good amount of time for driving, in Finland. A day or two in Stadi at the beginning; three or four days to the north: Tampere, Kuusamo, (... Kemijrvi ... Inari ...) Rovaniemi; and then three or four days back: Oulu, Jyvskyl. Maybe go across the border at Pello and come down through Haparanda, just for kicks. Lots of possibilities. Even Rovaniemi will still have the Midnight Sun in early July, and anywhere further north is even better.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by henry999
tsastor, are you in private communication with kmandrew, or what? I saw nothing in his message about wanting to go to Bergen, nor is there anything about not wanting to drive in Finland. Sorry, but where did you get these ideas?

I think 9 days is a good amount of time for driving, in Finland. A day or two in Stadi at the beginning; three or four days to the north: Tampere, Kuusamo, (... Kemijrvi ... Inari ...) Rovaniemi; and then three or four days back: Oulu, Jyvskyl. Maybe go across the border at Pello and come down through Haparanda, just for kicks. Lots of possibilities. Even Rovaniemi will still have the Midnight Sun in early July, and anywhere further north is even better.
Ok, maybe I misunderstood, I thought kmandrew wanted to see the most scenic parts of Norway along with Helsinki.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:10 pm

Last year we visited Copenhagen and Stockholm, I commented to my wife how we probably spend too much time visiting large cities and not enough time out in the countryside. We have never been to Finland or Norway so was thinking the first 2 nights in Helsinki/Oslo then rent a car for a week finally spending the last night at the airport. Henry999 has given us some good suggestions so I think I'll change our flight to OMA-HEL; the award reservation is on hold until Monday so we have to make up our minds this weekend.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
We have never been to Finland ...
Don't be shy about asking questions. People here will be happy to help you fine-tune your trip.

Last edited by henry999; Jan 14, 2017 at 10:00 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:58 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Last year we visited Copenhagen and Stockholm, I commented to my wife how we probably spend too much time visiting large cities and not enough time out in the countryside. We have never been to Finland or Norway so was thinking the first 2 nights in Helsinki/Oslo then rent a car for a week finally spending the last night at the airport. Henry999 has given us some good suggestions so I think I'll change our flight to OMA-HEL; the award reservation is on hold until Monday so we have to make up our minds this weekend.
For interesting (not Norwegian) sights in the summer I would suggest the lake district in Southeastern Finland. Some really nice scenery, and many of the smaller cities are quite lively in the summer. Something along these lines:
http://www.travel-experience.net/selfdrive.htm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:04 pm

Finland awakens

Today at 11:58 would have been a great day to wake up in Utsjoki, Finland, after a good nights sleep from November 25th 2016, when the sun was up the last time. Today the sun was up for a total of 48 minutes, so after brushing your teeth and having breakfast, there would just be enough time for a nice vodka nightcap before turning in again.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:35 pm

I was able to book award tickets to Hel arriving July 4. We arrive on the late flight from LHR so will stay at the airport Hilton that night, I thought we might move to the Strand for one night to visit the city then rent a car and head out for 6 days of driving. I assume we want to go as far north as Ivalo, would love some advice on the 5 cities where we might stay so I can start looking at hotels. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.