Search

OSL in January or summer?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:59 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
OSL in January or summer?

A friend studying in Oslo invited me to visit her for a bit. I could either go in January or sometime during the summer. I'm more inclined to go during the summer since we'd both (as opposed to just me) be free; I could take advantage of Widerĝe's explore Norway ticket; and we could hike to some of the more picturesque places; but I'm not 100% sure. Is there anything to do in OSL/Norway during the winter for a tourist (a Canadian one who isn't afraid of the cold), or am I just better off waiting for the summer? Most of the posts on this I've seen have been more geared towards people who have money. As a student, unfortunately that's in short supply.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There isn't much sunlight which some people find depressing.

Have you checked whether there are any winter festivals when you would visit?

Skiing? Ice skating?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:35 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There isn't much sunlight which some people find depressing.

Have you checked whether there are any winter festivals when you would visit?

Skiing? Ice skating?
I like that you respond to all of my destination questions

It doesn't look like there are any festivals going on, unfortunately. I could probably go cross-country skiing though. Is there anything relatively picturesque close to or relatively accessible from Oslo?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
To repeat an earlier comment: you are aware that Oslo only has 6-7 hours of daylight in January?
I would myself much, much prefer to go in summer - when the days are so much longer.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
It doesn't look like there are any festivals going on, unfortunately. I could probably go cross-country skiing though. Is there anything relatively picturesque close to or relatively accessible from Oslo?
Holmenkollen is accessible by metro from Oslo. Worth visiting in summertime as well.

http://www.visitoslo.com/en/activiti.../holmenkollen/
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Going in January vs. June is going to be a huge difference in terms of outdoors availability and enjoyment. I went at the beginning of June this year, and we were partying on top of the opera house close to 11 PM at night. Good luck with that in January.

I think it *greatly* matters what your priorities are in terms of visiting a location in winter, particularly that far north in the dead of winter.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:41 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Oslo is dark in winter, but student activities are certainly lively! Oslo has a good cultural life. Remember, it is more a capital city with a large student population, than a tourist destination. Certainly, if you intend to explore the fjords and see the scenic Norway, summer is better. And in January, the partying is indoors. But if you are interested in winter sports, such as cross country skiing, Oslo has world class skiing within the city limits. And the olympic resort of Lillehammer is just two hours away by train.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Days are short, weather is cold, activities are indoors in winter. Since the main thing to do in Norway if you don't have a lot of money is enjoy the free natural landcapes, I feel you will be disappointed in winter - unless Nordic (langlauf) skiing is your thing.

Norway is never cheap, but the nature is free to look at and some of it is cheap to get to.

If you want to get out of the city, a cheap way to see the countryside is to take the Oslo-Bergen train booked well in advance with the NSB Komfort add-on (you'll drink the value of the extra cost in tea/coffee alone).

I'd go in summer, and try to have as much funding available as possible. Book flights in advance, close-in they can get very expensive if you coincide with Norwegian peak departure/arrival times in holidays.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Unless you're really into cross-country skiing, I'd say go in the summer.

The extra hours of daylight are marvelous. I visited relatives near Trondheim in July 2011, and it never really got dark--things went from dusk to dawn with no darkness in between.

The scenery is spectacular. If Norway weren't a country unto itself, it would be some other country's national park.

But make your reservations early. When I went with family members, they booked passage on the Hurtigrute (coastal ship) in March, and when I was ready to book, I got the last single cabin--for a journey in July.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: FT
Summer and time it around midsummer parties. Make sure to also purchase a bottle of duty free on the way...despite it being overpriced in many airports...it will be way cheaper than norway. Pints run around 16CAD$ at bars...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.