Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nordic hotel chains in Finland - Scandic, Choice, Sokoshotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Cumulus does not operate HI. Cumulus is part of Restel.
Yes, and Sokos Hotels does not operate the Radissons, they're all part of Sokotel Oy...

Technicalities aside, my point was simply that the Finnish Holiday Inns are not up to international standards, which is due to them being operated very much like the Cumulus hotels. For Radissons, I've got limited experience from Vaasa and Oulu only. They seem to be above Sokos standards. Hopefully this holds true to the rest of the bunch as well, although it does surprise me a little that they turned Aleksanteri/Helsinki to a Radisson.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by ffay005
Technicalities aside, my point was simply that the Finnish Holiday Inns are not up to international standards, which is due to them being operated very much like the Cumulus hotels.
Which international HIs are you referring to? I find the Helsinki-based HIs acceptable, which I cannot say about some US properties.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ffay005
Yes, and Sokos Hotels does not operate the Radissons, they're all part of Sokotel Oy...

Technicalities aside, my point was simply that the Finnish Holiday Inns are not up to international standards, which is due to them being operated very much like the Cumulus hotels. For Radissons, I've got limited experience from Vaasa and Oulu only. They seem to be above Sokos standards. Hopefully this holds true to the rest of the bunch as well, although it does surprise me a little that they turned Aleksanteri/Helsinki to a Radisson.
Valid points IMO.
I have stayed in Aleksanteri Radisson and I thought it was below Radisson standard.
Vaasa was old but convenient, so so...
Oulu I haven't been lately so cannot comment. Tampere grand I have been only before it turned to Radisson so I don't know how it is nowadays. After all, Radissons are not really in the "Finnish category" but rather "Helsinki&international" so not comparing to Scandic,Sokos,Cumulus, even if luckily Radissons are clearly better anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
Which international HIs are you referring to? I find the Helsinki-based HIs acceptable, which I cannot say about some US properties.
I agree with Remy's point. HIs in Helsinki is like in other countries, but the HI Turku (now rebranded to Cumulus) was a dump, HI Tampere WAS a dump but now moved to a location and is new (yet to test it) and HI Oulu was a dump too (now away too). With that, IHG has "exited Finland" and remains "international, including capital Helsinki"
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by FFlash
I agree with Remy's point. HIs in Helsinki is like in other countries, but the HI Turku (now rebranded to Cumulus) was a dump, HI Tampere WAS a dump but now moved to a location and is new (yet to test it) and HI Oulu was a dump too (now away too). With that, IHG has "exited Finland" and remains "international, including capital Helsinki"
Indeed - I still remember those 10 toe nails I found under the dinner table and "puhkin******" pillowcases in the suite in HI T:re No one bothered to ever respond to my survey mentioning thiese.

Last edited by remymartin; Jul 22, 2016 at 5:02 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I find the IHG hotels in Finland quite nice. They treated me very well as platinum and now as Spire. Upgrades are consistent quality is nice. CP gives lounge access. Only complaibt is no free breakfast. ONLY HI Helsinki West ruoholahti has failed to respond appropriately to complaints.

I only wished they had a better footprint in Finland. I stayed at cumulus TWICE and rantasipi a few times when no other options are around. I used to stay at radissons but now rarely!

Have not stayed in a sokos hotel in years!

Best western has some nice hotels too but not much of a rewards scheme imo
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:40 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Rather than continuing this good hotel discussion in this airline forum, let's share this thread with the readers of the Nordic Countries (travel) forum. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You dont need SJ Prio Svart, I don't have one, and the link worked for me and some others, just go for it (as a side note, Scandic program is really a crap, but better than nothing so I just keep it in pocket as I do have some stays...)
I signed up, landed in the 1st floor - would it be upgraded later on?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I signed up, landed in the 1st floor - would it be upgraded later on?
Yes. 48-72 hours later all my managed accounts have been upgraded to 3rd Floor.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
and so have mine ^
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
D@mn, I'm already 3rd floor and it seems the link won't take me to top floor...

I don't stay too much in hotels in Finland anymore so I've tried to concentrate on Scandics. 2300 points per night + 500 Finnair plus points. For some time now Scandic has had free night offers for half the points in all Nordic countries. E.g. Stayed at Scandic Rovaniemi in Finland for 10000 points per night, which included the 17€ voucher in their nice restaurant. Sauna under renovation, though.

My second choice used to be the Cumulus card. Their food voucher bought you the whole dinner from the Club menu. And if you couldn't use that, you could save the voucher towards further free nights. The card was also good for the HI Oulu which I liked a lot. They even had a lounge of sorts on the top floor and a nice pool/sauna.

Helsinki is a different story, of course, with many more choices.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by kauppias
I find the IHG hotels in Finland quite nice.
I barely stay in Hotels in Finland and never stayed at an IHG hotel there. But since Tampere is now on the Points Break list I will check it out this weekend.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
I barely stay in Hotels in Finland and never stayed at an IHG hotel there. But since Tampere is now on the Points Break list I will check it out this weekend.
HI Tampere is new and definitely take advantage of it. I also tried to find a reason to stay in Tampere but I could not find any
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
HI Oulu which I liked a lot. They even had a lounge of sorts on the top floor

Helsinki is a different story, of course, with many more choices.
THAT lounge had the most extensive offerings anywhere

I wonder how that hotel is going nowadays. Haven't been to Oulu lately and sticking to Radisson in that case anyways I guess...
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
HI Tampere is new and definitely take advantage of it. I also tried to find a reason to stay in Tampere but I could not find any
HI Tampere is an old Cumulus, which they have renovated as cheaply as possible. Small rooms with subpar facilities and cheap furniture, plastic tabletops etc... Staff is friendly, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.