Reload this Page >

Iceland Air....why are they so cheap?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland Air....why are they so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you're booking based more on cost be sure to look at Norwegian air too.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
We are looking for a flight from either BOS or JFK to London next year and Iceland Air has really low prices compared to everyone else.

Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience that they can share.

Thanks!
The seats in economy have lower than average leg room and they are sticklers about how much your luggage weighs. Even your carry on.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My daughter flew them a few weeks ago. It has a ULCC vibe, but it was cheaper than anything else and they wanted to do the stopover en route to Paris. Since that trip she talks about Iceland as much as she does Paris!!

The insanely cheap deals don't seem to pop up so much from MSP, DEN, or ORD. I used to see $399 R/T ads, valid for decent months to visit like May or September. My guess is that they now fill more seats with traffic to/from Europe that they don't need to sell such cheap tickets anymore. Maybe where they're head to head with WOW???
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:30 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
They're basically long short-haul flights rather than short long-haul flights. It just so happens that KEF is in the middle of the Atlantic so they can join the two halves up easily.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by erik123
The main reason for doing it (other than price) is if you want to stopover in Iceland - which is totally worth it.
Iceland is AWESOME. Read other forums and articles to understand more about this country's unique offerings.

And breaking the trip approximately half way to Europe can be a great idea--iceland to East Coast is about 5 hours, with trips to Europe even less.

I flew Icelandair from Iceland to Boston yesterday--the experience was about the same as flying any US carrier.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

When I look at the flights offered there is a layover in Iceland but it's only about 1.5 hours. There are options that would give us a 14 hour layover. How do you go about leaving the airport and then returning? Is that even enough time?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:50 pm

I wouldn't worry about a short connection, the airport is small and easy to manage. They know what they are doing when determining flight schedules.

A 14 hour layover would allow you to see a little bit of the city (the airport is out of the city) but I would suggest a day or two, at least. The stopover should be free, as far as airfare is concerned.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'd love to know how people are finding cheap airfares in the summer. I typically book our summer trip to Europe 3-5 months in advance, and Icelandair is typically runner-up in most expensive airfare.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
When I look at the flights offered there is a layover in Iceland but it's only about 1.5 hours. There are options that would give us a 14 hour layover. How do you go about leaving the airport and then returning? Is that even enough time?
https://www.icelandair.us/flights/stopover
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:10 pm

Back in the day it was Icelandic and they were the (or a) cheap way to fly Chicago to Luxembourg on a DC-8. I don't know what other routes they had that were TATL non-stop, but that was one.

They are absolutely an option from and to the cities they serve. Opportunities to stop-over in Iceland should be considered.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
We flew them IAD-KEF-CDG and it was fine. I highly recommend the no-cost stopover opportunity. We spend 3 days, renting a car and driving the Golden Circle, and it was great
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
They're pretty much the best option if you ever need a one-way ticket across the atlantic. Other airlines charge more for 1-way than returns.

The planes are fine: a 757 is a 757, and it's got decent seats and AVOD. You have to buy your own meals on board, or feel free to bring your own.

As others have mentioned: going east is rough, especially if leaving from the east coast. The layovers (1-1.5 hours) are perfectly timed though: you disembark, possibly go through immigration (if you're going to/from a schengen country), and from there it's a brief wait until boarding time. The airport gets very busy at that time since most flights are arriving/leaving around then.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
As others have mentioned, Iceland Air is great if you don't mind the connection. In my experience (handful of trips to Iceland) the airline staff are pleasant and the 757s they fly are well maintained. If you book an Economy+ seat you could find yourself bumped up to their Saga seats which are the equivalent of domestic F.

The downside to flying Iceland Air is that their Saga points don't transfer to many, if any, partner airlines.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: Please continue this discussion in the Iceland forum. Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
Back in the day ...cheap way to fly Chicago to Luxembourg on a DC-8.
I don't know what other routes they had that were TATL non-stop
I did the same, from NYC to Luxembourg (with a short stopover in Iceland to allow passengers on/off),
also back in the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.