Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Half Day Stockholm Layover?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Half Day Stockholm Layover?

Hello, I have never been to Stockholm but have a chance to design an itinerary to a half day layover later this summer well because I can and not sure I would visit otherwise. I would arrive at 3 PM really and leave the next morning. Is it worth it to going into the city for the late afternoon/evening. What should I see in that short period of time? Is it worth it? Any must try food spots as I have essentially 1 meal there? Any help appreciated
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Book yourself into Old Town or nearby (Nobis, Grand, Skeppsholmen, Hilton Slussen are next to Old Town)- and if you don't mind a little more creative and premium priced dinner, get yourself a table at Pubologi.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:57 am
tyn

Stockholm is certainly worth a visit even if brief. It turns dark pretty late in the summer so you will have more time than you think to stroll around.
I would take the Arlanda train into the city and stay at the Sheraton, which is a very nice Sheraton. That way you only have to exit the Railway Station and cross the street to the hotel and you just cross the bridge into Gamla Stan old city and dinner.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Originally Posted by tyn
Stockholm is certainly worth a visit even if brief. It turns dark pretty late in the summer so you will have more time than you think to stroll around.
I would take the Arlanda train into the city and stay at the Sheraton, which is a very nice Sheraton. That way you only have to exit the Railway Station and cross the street to the hotel and you just cross the bridge into Gamla Stan old city and dinner.
Being from Stockholm I would never recommend the Sheraton. If you like upscale stay closer to Östermalm: Nobis, Berns, Grand, Diplomat and any hotel in their vicinity are better. If you like bohemian stay in Södermalm. Rival or the Hilton come to mind. For dinner I'd go to Milles in Strandvägen if you want to see upscale locals, the few that are in town in July. Oaxen in Djurgården is also nice. The Old Town is terribly touristy but worth a walk. Unfortunately I cannot recommend any places in Södermalm or the Old Town as I'm hardly ever there.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ticino
Being from Stockholm I would never recommend the Sheraton. If you like upscale stay closer to Östermalm: Nobis, Berns, Grand, Diplomat and any hotel in their vicinity are better. If you like bohemian stay in Södermalm. Rival or the Hilton come to mind. For dinner I'd go to Milles in Strandvägen if you want to see upscale locals, the few that are in town in July. Oaxen in Djurgården is also nice. The Old Town is terribly touristy but worth a walk. Unfortunately I cannot recommend any places in Södermalm or the Old Town as I'm hardly ever there.
The circa 12-15 minute walk to Ostermalm may not be worth it over hotels within a 5 minute walk of the Arlanda Express/Flygbussen/SL options to get between Central Stocholm and Arlanda.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:58 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I have stayed at the Sheraton several times. It is nothing wrong with it per se. Agree: it is not very Swedish, but it is a comfortable hotel with a good location. Any other hotel close to the Centralstationen would do the same trick, and probably cheaper, but haven't tried those.

Given the time frame, and the OP being a first time visitor, the hassle of walking 12 - 15 minutes or changing to other public transportation is not worth it IMHO.

An alternative, given the time frame, espcially if leaving very early would be to stay at Arlanda and return to the airport in the evening. Cost would be important here.

Otherwise, I fully agree that Stockholm is worth the stop over, even if short!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:08 pm

Looks like I made the right choice ... staying at the Rival (end of Aug) ^

Originally Posted by ticino
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by tyn
--
Just back from over night stay. Took the airport train to city SEK 280 (one way but believe the r/t ticket purchase lowers). Stayed at Sheraton- very nice and easy walk to old town area and plenty of nice places to enjoy. Train is about 25 minutes, frequent running and faster and les than taxi.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by malgudi
Looks like I made the right choice ... staying at the Rival (end of Aug) ^
You definitely did!

It's a wonderful hotel! For me, I think their breakfasts are the best!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

For the 1 meal in Stockholm would it make sense to Salu Hall for a solo person to check out for dinner? If so any places you would recommend within those food halls?

Last edited by ASUDan130; Jul 30, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.