Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Preikestolen Norway trail condition

Old May 22, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt

Any FTer know where to look for trail conditions? I am trying to minimize "things" packed for a trip to Norway but cannot determine whether the trail is still covered in snow. How deep the snow is. etc... None of the webpages I've found say anything other than it takes "X" time to complete and the bus costs "Y."

Thanks

Cheers
Old May 22, 2016, 11:08 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Latest update is from April 29 in Norwegian here: https://www.preikestolenfjellstue.no/
This is the lodge where the trail starts.

Fřrevarsel:
Stien til Preikestolen er fri for is og snř. Det er ikke lenger behov for brodder pĺ turen. Vi gjřr likevel oppmerksom pĺ at det pĺ utsette steder fortsatt kan vćre glatt og at det fortsatt kan fryse pĺ nettene. (oppdatert 29.04.2016)

TRAIL CONDITIONS
The path to Preikestolen is free from ice and snow. Crampons are no longer necessary. Please observe that the trail still might be slippery in exposed parts, and that there still might be freezing during the night. (updated 29.04.2016)
Old May 22, 2016, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Thank You! ^^^

As an aside, the English version of that webpage doesn't provide trail info.

Cheers

Originally Posted by ksu
Latest update is from April 29 in Norwegian here: https://www.preikestolenfjellstue.no/
This is the lodge where the trail starts.

Fřrevarsel:
Stien til Preikestolen er fri for is og snř. Det er ikke lenger behov for brodder pĺ turen. Vi gjřr likevel oppmerksom pĺ at det pĺ utsette steder fortsatt kan vćre glatt og at det fortsatt kan fryse pĺ nettene. (oppdatert 29.04.2016)

TRAIL CONDITIONS
The path to Preikestolen is free from ice and snow. Crampons are no longer necessary. Please observe that the trail still might be slippery in exposed parts, and that there still might be freezing during the night. (updated 29.04.2016)
Old May 23, 2016, 11:25 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Thank You! ^^^

As an aside, the English version of that webpage doesn't provide trail info.

Cheers
You're welcome!

I noticed the same myself. Quite surprising really, seeing that Preikestolen is one of the sights that probably is one of the biggest attraction for foreign tourists.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA,BA
This thread came at such great timing...thank you thegrailer for asking, and thank you ksu for the information! I will be in Stavanger this weekend and hope for great trail and weather conditions
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I hiked this yesterday. Trail is in fine condition, but come around noon and it will be much more crowded (we hiked it at 9 AM and it was much better).
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: AS 100K
not to hijack the OP's thread but has anyone hiked Trolltunga? I'm doing a four night trip in early.mid-ish august and I'd like to do Trolltunga. Ideally, I'd want to do Trolltunga and Preikestolen but they're not really close to eachother and I don't think I'll have enough time.

anyway, if you've hiked Trolltunga, please share your experiences/recommendations
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
not to hijack the OP's thread but has anyone hiked Trolltunga? I'm doing a four night trip in early.mid-ish august and I'd like to do Trolltunga. Ideally, I'd want to do Trolltunga and Preikestolen but they're not really close to eachother and I don't think I'll have enough time.

anyway, if you've hiked Trolltunga, please share your experiences/recommendations
I also hiked Trolltunga a few days ago. Much more strenuous. I have done Molden, Trolltunga, Pulpit Rock, and Kjeragbolten (today). Trolltunga is much, much longer than the other ones by a long shot. Physically demanding and mentally exhausting.

Both have great payoffs at the end; it really comes down to how much energy you want to invest. Even though it was absolutely insane, I would do Trolltunga.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by atcanobbio

Trolltunga is a great hike, but to do the return trip in a single day will be very tiring. It's certainly doable with the almost endless summer daylight but it will take an average hiker 12+ hours. You will find far less crowds here than on Preikestolen and in my opinion the scenery is superior.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Trolltunga is a great hike, but to do the return trip in a single day will be very tiring. It's certainly doable with the almost endless summer daylight but it will take an average hiker 12+ hours. You will find far less crowds here than on Preikestolen and in my opinion the scenery is superior.
It took our party 10 hours, and that was factoring in numerous stops for water, picture-taking, and nearly an hour once we got to Trolltunga itself. The most challenging part is the beginning/end, as well as trudging through a bunch of patches of snow (at least in early June, when we were there).

Agreed that you will be exhausted in pretty much every way (physically, mentally) possible by the end, though. That said, I felt it was the hike in Norway (vs. the other famous ones we did - Pulpit Rock and Kjeragbolten) that really had the best payoff. The view is so majestic when you get to the 'tongue'.

I did enjoy Pulpit Rock, but if you're not up there decently before noontime, it becomes quite a bit of a zoo. We got there just shy of 11 AM, and I definitely wish we had come earlier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.