Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stockholm: Vasa Museum or Palace?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
Question Stockholm: Vasa Museum or Palace?

I have one day in Stockholm coming up, as the cruise I'll be on will call there. It's sadly a short stay, from 7:00am - 2:00pm local time.

There's a few excursion options available, but they all seem to have the Vasa Museum OR the Royal Palace, plus time in the Gamla Stan. The thing I'm torn between is, which way to go? The Vasa seems really interesting, but the Palace looks to be a great feast for the eyes as well.

So, what do you all think? Especially for those who may have been to these places before?

Thanks so much!
Old May 11, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I vote for the Vasa because of its unique nature.

Palace is lovely but not unique (in a worldwide context.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
I have one day in Stockholm coming up, as the cruise I'll be on will call there. It's sadly a short stay, from 7:00am - 2:00pm local time.

There's a few excursion options available, but they all seem to have the Vasa Museum OR the Royal Palace, plus time in the Gamla Stan. The thing I'm torn between is, which way to go? The Vasa seems really interesting, but the Palace looks to be a great feast for the eyes as well.

So, what do you all think? Especially for those who may have been to these places before?

Thanks so much!
I would go to the Vasa Museum, if I had to pick one. I don't know about Gamla Stan, but if you have a good guide and it's during the summer it will be nice.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph

Thanks so much!
The Vasa Museum is more unique and in many ways more interesting than a visit to yet another Royal Palace and touristy "old town". I've done tours for both and I'm more of a fan of repeating visits to the Vasa Museum than to the Royal Palace.

7 hours may be enough to see the Vasa, the exterior of the Royal Palace and enough of a chunk of Gamla Stan. But you'd really have to hoof it and give up on the idea of getting a guided tour of the interior of the palace and the Vasa.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I had already seen the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo, so I expected the Vasa Museum to be a similar experience.

I expected to be in and out in an hour, but I ended up staying for 3.5 hours.

It's not only that there is a genuine complete 17th-century ship right before your eyes, which you can view from three different heights, but the museum contains sections on everyday life on board ship and on land in 17th century Sweden, a film on how the Vasa was raised and preserved, and even "autopsy results" and facial reconstructions of some of the few people who didn't make it to shore when the ship sank in the harbor.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I vote for the Vasa because of its unique nature.

Palace is lovely but not unique (in a worldwide context.
I agree. I have photos of both of them on the front page linked below. Easy enough to walk around outside the palace after you tour the Vasa Museum and plan a visit at a future date instead.

Name:  20160220_111622-L.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  149.2 KB

Name:  20160221_131150-L.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  101.2 KB
Old May 17, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Vasa all the way. As the others said, there really is nothing quite like it!
Old May 21, 2016, 8:35 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I did both recently. A ticket for the palace allows entry into three areas: the small room where you can see the Crown Jewels, the Tre Kronor museum, and the royal residencies. Nice palace and tour - nothing terribly exciting, but if you don't get around to it this time, you can put it on the list for next time.

For me, I had two stops that I almost didn't make, but just happened to add to my itinerary due to timing and vicinity - and I greatly enjoyed both: Stockholm City Hall and the Vasa Museum. Even though every guidebook and "top 10 things to do in Stockhom" recommended the Vasa museum, I though to myself "it's just a boat...what's so interesting about it?" I ended up spending almost 4 hours wandering around all the levels of the museum, hitting all the stops on the audio tour that you can steam via their wifi and a browser on your phone/tablet.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Seen both, and many times. Given the situation described by OP, my vote goes to the Vasa museum. A truly unique experience.

For time to make a repeat vist, check out the castle. A random walk of the Old Town is nothing compared to a guided tour. Although I've walked through and within Gamla Stan many times, last summer's experience with a tour was fantastic
Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:07 am

Visiting the Vasa is TIME TRAVEL....

Do it!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Go to the Vasa, then have an early and quick lunch at either Oaxen Slip or Speceriet. The former is nearer the Vasa and is superb. The latter is in Stockholm proper and is one of the finest restaurants anywhere.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Go to the Vasa, then have an early and quick lunch at either Oaxen Slip or Speceriet. The former is nearer the Vasa and is superb. The latter is in Stockholm proper and is one of the finest restaurants anywhere.
Speceriet is indeed a very good restaurant, but Oaxen Slip is a gem. Having had lunch there twice, dinner three times, I've been very satisfied every time. Have a look at their website and menu for some inspiration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.