Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

How to use Jojo card at skanetrafiken machine (already got jojo card)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

We had a good Malmo and then Roskilde trip today...I got JOJO card with money loaded for trip back to CPH and CPH to Kalmar. .. I tried using the jojo card at skanetrafiken machine in Malmo but couldn't figure how to use it..so I went to ticket counter and lady used it to get us family duo back to CPH ...I just realised there is no skanetrafiken office in CPH and would need to use the machine...so my question is do I scan the JOJO card first on the green circular scanner and then chose the destination... ? Today I went thru the menu first and picked destination but couldn't figure how to pay using the jojo card as I only got credit card options..
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
We had a good Malmo and then Roskilde trip today...I got JOJO card with money loaded for trip back to CPH and CPH to Kalmar. .. I tried using the jojo card at skanetrafiken machine in Malmo but couldn't figure how to use it..so I went to ticket counter and lady used it to get us family duo back to CPH ...I just realised there is no skanetrafiken office in CPH and would need to use the machine...so my question is do I scan the JOJO card first on the green circular scanner and then chose the destination... ? Today I went thru the menu first and picked destination but couldn't figure how to pay using the jojo card as I only got credit card options..
Yes.

Did you select the UK flag menu? After selecting English and "buy ticket": First I touch my card against the reader and then I select the destination, number of passengers, etc and then after I see the price on the screen, then I re-touch the card against the reader and get the ticket printout.

If you don't start by scanning your card, then it goes to the credit card route.

When using the Jojo card on the skanetrafiken kiosks, no money will be deducted from it until the second touch, which is the touch after you see the price come on the screen.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 2, 2016 at 2:30 pm
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes.

Did you select the UK flag menu? After selecting English and "buy ticket": First I touch my card against the reader and then I select the destination, number of passengers, etc and then after I see the price on the screen, then I re-touch the card against the reader and get the ticket printout.

If you don't start by scanning your card, then it goes to the credit card route.

When using the Jojo card on the skanetrafiken kiosks, no money will be deducted from it until the second touch, which is the touch after you see the price come on the screen.
Thankw GUW. So I touch the Jojo card on green circular reader after I hit BUY TICKETS ..and after I see price and hit pay I touch the card again?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:36 am
Suspended

Thankw GUW. So I touch the Jojo card on green circular reader after I hit BUY TICKETS ..and after I see price and hit pay I touch the card again?

I do this so often I've forgotten exactly what is on the screen when I touch my card because I sort of rely upon physical memory now when starting this.

The card definitely has to be touched against the reader twice: once close to the beginning of the kiosk use, and once at the very end of the kiosk use.

I know that I begin with selection of the UK flag (out of old habit). Then I think that it's:

hit "buy ticket" (or preferred ticket if using one of the popular destination options listed under "buy ticket"),

hit over bridge,

then hit smart card,

then tap jojo card against green circular reader,

and then carry on with screen prompts,

and then after seeing the final purchase price tap the card again when the screen prompts to tap the card.

Then take your receipt as that is the ticket.

The first time to touch the card against that reader is immediately after having hit "smart card", an option that comes up sometime after selecting "buy ticket"+"over the bridge". The second time to touch the card against the reader is at the very end after you've seen the ticket price on the screen.

In about 3-4 hours, I should be able to get someone to note down the exact steps for Jojo use on CPH to Kalmar, or maybe even record a video of the process.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 3, 2016 at 12:46 am
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:32 am
Suspended

A little bit late but got someone to do it.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I
In about 3-4 hours, I should be able to get someone to note down the exact steps for Jojo use on CPH to Kalmar, or maybe even record a video of the process.
1. Hit the UK flag.
2. Hit "Buy Ticket"
3. Hit "More Destinations"
4. Hit the first letter of your destination, "K" for Kalmar
5. Hit Kalmar
6. Hit "Smart Card"
7. touch smart card/jojo card against the green circle reader
8. Select Duo/Family by hitting the + to select "1" (assuming you're a couple with one kid) and make sure the other selections are "0"
9. Hit "Standard"
10. check the ticket screen details to make sure the details are right and it will show you the price.
11. hit "Yes" next to the word "Buy"
12. Touch your jojo card against the green circle reader
13. Collect your printed out ticket receipt.
14. Go to your train.

At any point you can cancel the transaction by hitting the cancel button or just walking away as long as you haven't touched your card the second time during the above process.

Those are the steps.

Depending on where you buy the ticket or in which direction, there may be an option to select "over the bridge" if you are taking the Oresundsbro bridge. I left that step out because the police at Hyllie don't see it when buying a ticket for Kalmar. Hit "over the bridge" sign if it's relevant to your journey and then carry on with the rest of the steps above.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 3, 2016 at 6:39 am
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Very good of you to go to the trouble of checking this.
Even if the step-by-step description was too late for OP, it's very useful information for others in the future.
And the thread title is accurate enough for searches on the subject.

I wanted to reply to the OP and found that I couldn't remember exactly how to use the machines.
I have no trouble using them but it's more in my hand than in my head how to.
Some years ago, some of the Dankort terminals here changed the order of the number buttons - even knowing my pincode perfectly well, I still managed to get it wrong for quite a while.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks for details
.appreciate it.

We will be going to Kalmar tomorrow and will try GUW instructions at the red box at CPH.

I took ferrY to Helsingborg from Helsingor today morning Coming back at ferry terminal I just played with the skanetrafiken machine. I was not carrying the Jojo card with me ..but I could get to step 6 of GUW instructions. Funny thing is at Malmo skanetrafiken office the only option at step 6 was CREDIT. But the one at Helsingborg ferry terminal offer me the SMART CARD choice...not sure what's the difference or whether the green card reader at Malmo C was not working promoting the machine to not show the JOJO / smart card option ?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Thanks folks for details
.appreciate it.

We will be going to Kalmar tomorrow and will try GUW instructions at the red box at CPH.

I took ferrY to Helsingborg from Helsingor today morning Coming back at ferry terminal I just played with the skanetrafiken machine. I was not carrying the Jojo card with me ..but I could get to step 6 of GUW instructions. Funny thing is at Malmo skanetrafiken office the only option at step 6 was CREDIT. But the one at Helsingborg ferry terminal offer me the SMART CARD choice...not sure what's the difference or whether the green card reader at Malmo C was not working promoting the machine to not show the JOJO / smart card option ?
A contact told me that at least two machines at Malmo C had problems with the Jojo card reader and that there was a sign for a while on a couple of machines saying something like "credit card only" or "only cash or credit card". Other Skanetrafiken/Oresundstag machines that looked the same there or slightly different were working fine with the Jojo cards. I'm not sure how much of a recurring problem this is, but at Malmo C there are at least three banks of paired machines and also some single machines around. So it may be worth trying a different machine in a different location at the station.

At Copenhagen's main station, I think that there are also at least two machines, but they have never had this problem to my knowledge or those whom I asked. The bigger issue at Copenhagen's main station with these machines is that many visitors and plenty of Swedes don't know how to use the machines there even with their credit cards. They then slow others down big time some time. The CPH (airport) Skanetrafiken machines seem to have much better uptime in my experience.

Skanetrafiken used to have different machines (since phased out) that some thought were much more complicated for tourists than the current ones. But that was from well before the era of the Jojo card.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:27 am
Original Poster

GUW thanks for instructions. Easily bought family tix from ticket machine at CPH with JOJO card ..no issues at all.
Right now on Oresundstag train to Kalmar C ..just passed Lund ..
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Enjoy Kalmar - very nice town....
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:06 am
Suspended

GUW thanks for instructions. Easily bought family tix from ticket machine at CPH with JOJO card ..no issues at all.
Right now on Oresundstag train to Kalmar C ..just passed Lund ..
Glad to hear it went smoothly.

Have a nice trip and enjoy the Oresundstag free wifi for however long it works.

Originally Posted by helosc
Very good of you to go to the trouble of checking this.
Even if the step-by-step description was too late for OP, it's very useful information for others in the future.
And the thread title is accurate enough for searches on the subject.

I wanted to reply to the OP and found that I couldn't remember exactly how to use the machines.
I have no trouble using them but it's more in my hand than in my head how to.
Some years ago, some of the Dankort terminals here changed the order of the number buttons - even knowing my pincode perfectly well, I still managed to get it wrong for quite a while.
My reliance upon physical memory for so much of the process is also why I had to have this checked out. Amusingly, I was told something like this: "Don't you come here often enough to know how to do this already?" It's sort of ironic for a couple of reasons, including because my body knows the process at those machines better than my mind could recall all the details.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 4, 2016 at 5:16 am
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The flaw in the purchase process is (IIRC) that it will only show you the Jojo fare if you have sufficient balance on the card to purchase it. Which means that, if you have a low balance, you really need to have an idea of what the fare is (or know the Jojo discount) to be able to purchase it.

Case in point: I recently was in the situation, and am sadly not going to return to Skane for the foreseeable future, but needed to get from Kopingebro to Copenhagen with a bike. Couldn't see what the fare was. Looked at the cash fare, mentally applied the Jojo discount, but wasn't too sure what this was and topped up too little. Still couldn't see the fare. Now my card wouldn't allow me to do a second top-up, there was one ticket machine and no booking office, and queue building up, and the (hourly) train not far away...

Thankfully, after letting the queue go first, it was long enough for my card to accept the repeat payment.

The moral of the story is: know the Jojo discount, or know the fare in advance (or have the app handy to look it up).
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:36 am
Suspended

To know the Jojo discount, the free skanetrafiken app for iOS and Android phones indeed works nicely. But there -- even when it's in English -- you need to know that "kr" on the menu bar is the tab to check out the prices, including the specified Jojo prices. [I guess that most of us non-Scandinavians wouldn't default to thinking that "kr" was an indicator for price/money, so it took me a while to realize the prices were right there.]

The Skanetrafiken machines used to have as their lowest top-up amount set at something like 200SEK IIRC. Now they seem to accept topping up for 50, 100, 200 SEK and other higher amounts. If needing to top up for a smaller amount, it would be off to the Skanetrafiken offices -- or maybe to a newsstand store at a train station or elsewhere, although not sure how that would work out.

Most rail stations in Sweden seem to have free wifi. If not, then "Pressbyren" at the stations often do have free wifi.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 4, 2016 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:16 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ah, I have free roaming in Sweden, it just seemed that a backwater east of Ystad didn't get the memo that I'd need reception

One thing you may be able to clear up... Is it Jojo like 'yoyo' or Jojo like 'a man who thought he was a loner'? I'd originally pronounced it as the latter, but it dawned on me that it was probably the former...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut
Ah, I have free roaming in Sweden, it just seemed that a backwater east of Ystad didn't get the memo that I'd need reception

One thing you may be able to clear up... Is it Jojo like 'yoyo' or Jojo like 'a man who thought he was a loner'? I'd originally pronounced it as the latter, but it dawned on me that it was probably the former...
I hear everyone -- including the Swedes around me -- call the card "JoeJoe" as it would sound if doubling the English nickname in English (when they refer to Jojo as Jojo).

But when it's referred to in Swedish by Swedes, I haven't heard anything sounding like the English word "yo-yo". But most Swedes don't seem to refer to it as Jojo. Skanetrafiken reskassa kort or something else (beside Jojo) seems to be what is more commonly communicated when talking about Jojo.

I will have to test this pronunciation thing on some old, relatively non-English-speaking Swedes to see what they say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.