Wiki Posts
Search

6 hours in CPH - advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:43 am
Original Poster

6 hours in CPH - advice

Hi there

We are flying to JFK via CPH in July, and on the way back we arrive into LHR at 11am and then leave on the 1255 to CPH, which means 6 hours in CPH before our Ryanair flight to EDI. Is 6 hours enough time to leave the airport and visit the centre of CPH? We have recently been switched onto a partner BA airline which gives us the opportunity to switch to a later BA flight, which would mean more time in the lounge at LHR (we are travelling First) - any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Tim
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
6 hours in CPH - advice

Yes. Take the metro into town for a wander around. Has to be better than staying at the airport.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
6 hours in CPH - advice

You could take the Oresund Bridge train over to Malmö, Sweden, and have a look around.

I heard they suspended the train connection due to the migrant crisis. I do not know if that service has been reinstated. If the train is running, a quick trip to Sweden might be fun.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
You could take the Oresund Bridge train over to Malmö, Sweden, and have a look around.

I heard they suspended the train connection due to the migrant crisis. I do not know if that service has been reinstated. If the train is running, a quick trip to Sweden might be fun.
I hadn't heard that they had suspend the train (it's too valualble economically) but they did in early January institute passport checks at Kastrup (the airport) station.

The train into central Copenhagen is very quick and Tivoli Gardens is very close to the central station. Central Copenhagen is very walkable. On such a short trip I wouldn't bother with trying to see the little mermaid statue.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Mar 13, 2016 at 7:18 am
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:41 am

Take the metro to Kongens Nytorv station and walk around the city center. Plenty to see within walking distance, including Nyhavn, royal palace, some museums, waterfront and many nice places for a quick bite to eat.

The metro takes only 20 minutes to the city center and runs all the time. The costs are about €4 each way.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:45 am

Oeresund train is working fine, but there is passport control due to immigrant crisis. So it takes longer than normal. I would rather go to CPH city center as it is quicker, cheaper and offers more things to do and to see.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Yes, very easy and quick to get into Copenhagen centre.
Other than the novelty of using the Oresund bridge to enter another country, I would also vote for Copenhagen over Malmö.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Go into the city - I had an unplanned layover of about the same duration in CPH last year and was ready to tear my hair out by the end - highly recommend not spending 3 hours in Joe & The Juice as we did!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Definitely enough time to go into the city. My recommendation is to skip the touristy stuff and have lunch at Torvehallerne, a really nice food hall a couple of blocks from Nřrrebro metro station.

Make sure you take the metro and not the train when you leave the airport (only take the train if you're going to Tivoli). The metro is upstairs, train platforms are downstairs - you'll need a 3-zone ticket costing 36 DKK for the trip into the city.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I found the train very convenient and efficient especially as we were staying at the airport Hilton.

Allowing 30 minutes each way, there is plenty of time to walk around and get a feel for the lovely city.

Probably best to have a look at s map and tourist websites to see what you want to focus your time.

The usual hop on hop off bus was good and is worth considering.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
I recommend taking the train to the central station, walk to Nyhavn and take the DFDS harbour tour where you will have an excellent tour of the city with English commentary, takes no more than and hour.
The cafes there are somewhat expensive but it is the place to sit outside with a cold Tuborg and watch the world go by.

Regards
FDM
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:08 am

Enough time to go into the area around the station but i wouldn't venture too far from there if you don't know where you're going. CPH is a deceptively big place and not necessarily the easiest place to find your way around as a first time visitor.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread started its life in the BA forum and has been moved into the Nordic Countries forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
This thread started its life in the BA forum and has been moved into the Nordic Countries forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Apologies, I probably should have made it more clear in the first post that I was weighing up spending more time in the BA lounge (switching to a later flight), or spending time in CPH, and I should have asked which BA lounge I would have access to (coming from a First BA flight from JFK) - i.e. can I use the Concorde Lounge, or is there an arrivals lounge?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you're inbound in F you can use the CCR on the same day as long as you show your inbound F boarding pass to the door guardian.
If you haven't seen Copenhagen before I would recommend going there rather than spending a long time in the CCR. As long as you're quick about it on the inbound (remember, landside security may be faster than Flight Connections) you'll likely get 45 minutes in the CCR on a 2 hour connection anyway. LHR-CPH is very likely to be an A gates departure and reasonably likely to be the south end of the terminal, ask at the CCR entrance. If it's a gate like A16 or A18 it's just under the CCR anyway.
Copenhagen is lovely in July. Everything is open, the days are long, the weather balmy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.