Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

"Migrant teen gangs" at Stockholm central station?

"Migrant teen gangs" at Stockholm central station?

Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Originally Posted by manda99
We ended up staying at Hotel Rival on Sodermalm and I can't say enough about how great it was. Exceptional level of service! Great, quiet rooms! Extremely close to Mariatorget t-bana stop and easy walk to Slussen t-bana and ferries. Really, it was just ideal.
It's owned by ABBA's Benny Andersson too...!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:02 pm

I am in Central station neighborhood since past 3 night..no issues at all. In fact me and family took bus 69 from Standvagon area last night at 10.10 pm and got down at Centralen around 10.35 pm. We walked back to Sheraton on Vasagatan after getting down the stairs from bus stop. Tons of people walking around...we felt extremely safe.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Rural, northern Japan? That must be an interesting story.
Well, not so much. Just arrived at the train station in Tsuruoka (pop. 120k) in Yamagata, boarded bus to get to the only youth hostel in town. Bus is half-empty but odd dude sits down next to me, makes awkward forced conversation for a while, then suddenly gets up and leaves. I get to my stop, try to pay... and hey presto, I realize my wallet, which was in my pocket facing the odd dude, is gone. I definitely had it when I got on the bus, and it hadn't fallen onto the floor etc.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
This thread is getting amusing in how much it gains attendance we need some evidence here, so pls post your pictures how many children you see late night out there and we can act as rural force web cam or whatever, and raise some Flyertalk charity fund for STO citynagers
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FFlash
This thread is getting amusing in how much it gains attendance we need some evidence here, so pls post your pictures how many children you see late night out there and we can act as rural force web cam or whatever, and raise some Flyertalk charity fund for STO citynagers
Night hours in December are different than night hours in July, when it comes to Stockholm.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Your typical evening at Sergels Torg... http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article22850328.ab
Old May 20, 2016, 5:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gnaget
Your typical evening at Sergels Torg... http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article22850328.ab
Typical? No, that is not the case at all. That's like saying the typical evening around Stureplan may involve gun shots, that the typical evening walk back from around Vinterviken involves getting assaulted by some Swedish neo-Nazis or some SD-sympathizing xenophobic bigots.

These kind of situations are not a typical evening, for rather these kind of incidents are extraordinary and infrequent.

I've been walking by Sergels Torg at 2-4 a.m many nights this month, and zero issues when I've been going around there. Above the concrete pit, it was fine enough by me.

And when it comes to Stockholm Central Station itself, I am more comfortable there than I was around there 10 to 20 years ago. It's Sodermalm and Gamla Stan where an increase in shady behavior has been coming my way way more than at or around Stockholm Central Station.

Sergels Torg, however, is still another story; but let's just say that I when I walk out of Skanstull in Sodermalm, I don't feel a lot safer there than I do at Sergels Torg.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Resurrecting this thread b/c I'll be in Stockholm this weekend. Last trip in I stayed at the Radisson Blu Waterfront and walked around at night with a Canon 50 and didn't see anything too dodgy (wasn't really paying that much attention since I was by myself). I've also stayed at the Radisson near the train station in OSL and was last week hanging out near the train station in HEL -- neither seemed dodgy to me. I reference these past stays b/c i) these places were noted to be worse than around ARN Central Station, and ii) I am not traveling alone this time and my companion is a lot less forgiving of what might or might not be dodgy. I have traveled to what some would call dodgy cities: GRU, MNL. CAI, etc where out of 60 countries, GIG has been the only place where I have ever feared for my safety. What are we really looking at in ARN? It's a long weekend trip hopefully with a hockey game or two and some cold adult beverages. Plus some shawarma from a local joint.

Cheers -

Edit post trip: What are you folks smoking? (half in jest and half seriously) The Stockholm train station was fine. Sergels Torg was dicier. I watched some of the "interesting" dynamics from the railing up top, however, I wouldn't rate it as a no-go zone. That being said, I would not suggest it to a single female visitor at night and would avoid if drunk - based on the milling about groups of men with doing nothing but milling about. However, my view of those groups may be biased based on the readings above about Sergels Torg, I really have no idea what those folks were doing (and I am not being naive here - I'd avoid Sergels Torg downstairs at night if I was a woman or drunk). Skanstull was fine too on a Friday night even after a few cocktails (not drunk though). What did I miss here? Also, there were cops everywhere and more bar security than I see even in the US -- doesn't that make ARN safer than described (?). Lastly, I visited mid-winter and that might keep some bad actors of the streets re it's colder. I could imagine a more robust version of what others described above during tourist season (e.g., bigger crowds = more pickpocketing (?))

Last edited by thegrailer; Jan 23, 2017 at 9:58 am Reason: update

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.