Search

3 days in Copenhagen after a cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

Thank everyone for their assistance. Maybe this will help some others in our circumstances. Obviously, our choice of venues will vary from others, but here is one set of plans. Comments welcome, we will not be there until early May 2016.

Day one: Arrive at port and take a three hour tour of Copenhagen on a ships bus tour which ends at the Airport. We will be staying at the AP Hilton. It is AT the airport (we have an early flight). It has a great reputation. It has all amenities within. It is near the bus, metro and train. City access is reasonable. It is quite expensive. We will check in (or luggage check...traveling heavy on the long cruise). We will then go to the airport to buy the Copenhagen Card (best for us) or we could buy the City Card (transportation) the choice is one of economics. Next we will go to the Den Bla Planet, National Aquarium Denmark on Jacob Fortlings vej. It is a bit of a walk (hotel will lend out bikes). We intend to do the bus part of the trip and walk the rest. The Aquarium is 169 DKK, and is open from 10:00-18:00. The Copenhagen card includes this activity. We will return to the hotel as we came, walking and bus.

Day two: We will spend the day in the city. The order of our day will depend on logistics from the metro station and hours of operation. We plan to visit Amalienborg Palace, 1257 Kobenhavn. This Museum is open from 10:00-16:00 and charges 90 DKK or 130DKK if you also go to the Rosenborg Castle at 1350 Kobenhavn (90DKK separately). We plan to go to both and they are included in the Copenhagen Card. Our next stop is The National Museum, 1471 Kobenhavn. It is free and open from 10:00-17:00. this is a large Museum and has a restaurant. We also want to take a canal ride. The Copenhagen Card includes two choices. First is The Netto Boats are available at 1056 Kobenhavn (40DKK) starting at 10:00. The second is the Grand Tour of Copenhagen from Grammel Strand. If time permits, we will also do Christiansborg Palace on Slotsholmen, 1468 Kobenhavn (120DKK, not included in the Copenhagen Card). Another alternative is the Botanical Gardens at 1353 Kobenhavn, 8;30-18:00, FREE.

Day three: Today we plan to do the Zoo (170 DKK, Copenhagen Card), open 10-18:00. Next we will do The gardens at Frederiksberg Havc, next to the zoo and then Carlsberg Brewery a few blocks away . The brewery grounds are free to walk around, and the tour is about the same as the price of the two free include beers!

The next morning we have a very early flight out, and that will be made easier by our location at the Hilton.

FY helped me and hopefully this summary will help someone else.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
A suggestion about the itinerary of your day in Central Copenhagen:

First if all, I don't think you'll have time for all of it given that museums close at certain times.
You'll probably have to give up Christiansborg Palace and Botanical Gardens.

Take the metro to Nørreport Station.
Walk to Rosenborg Castle - very close.
See Rosenborg Castle.
Leave Rosenborg Castle via Kongens Have (King's Garden - a park).
Leave Kongens Have at the exit on Dronningens Tværgade.
Go down Dronningens Tværgade until it ends and hits Bredgade.
Turn left down Bredgade untill Frederiksgade.
To the left you'll see the Marble Church and to the right Amalienborg.
Go down Frederiksgade which'll lead you into Amalienborg Slotsplads.
See Amalienborg Palace.
Leave via the exit to Amalie Haven (Amalie Garden).
Look at the garden ( small garden, will take you 5 minutes).
Walk down Toldbodgade until you reach Nyhavn and the canal.
Have lunch in one of the restaurants in Nyhavn.
Nyhavn has some very old houses.
If the weather permits, you can eat at an outside table.

The next logical step would be taking the Canal Tours from Nyhavn.
They leave from the beginning of the canal in Nyhavn.
(But depending on the time, you may have to go to the National Museum first before it closes and then backtrack afterwards).

I don't think you should leave out the Canal Tours, you'll get such a good view of Copenhagen from the water - it's a very enjoyable trip.

After the Canal Tours walk to the National Museum. On the way you can see Christianborg Palace from the outside. (or take the bus 1A a couple of stops from Kongens Nytorv as mentioned before).

All this sounds like a lot of walking but in reality it's not.
The distances between the sights you want to see are not long - and walking is a nice way to see the city.
Max a kilometer from Kongens Have to Amalienborg.
400 meters from Amalienborg/Amaliehaven to Nyhavn.
Max a kilometer from Kongens Nytorv to the National Museum.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

What is Copenhagen like on a Sunday? All shops open? Just a few?
Staying Friday evening to Monday evening. Thought we might do
Saturday Copenhagen
Sunday Roskilde to see the boat museum
Monday Malmo morning, Copenhagen afternoon.
Used to the UK where Sunday is just a normal day.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:19 am

Supermarkets are open on Sundays, all day.
Not all shops are open on Sundays in Copenhagen but in the center of town (Strøget etc.) many are. But possibly only from 12 o'clock.
Shops are in general closed in Roskilde on Sundays.
Shops are open in Malmø on Sundays, again possibly only from 12 o'clock.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you helosc!!!!!!!! You have practically been a personal guide for Leslie and I for our upcoming trip segment in Copenhagen. I am sure other will benefit from what you have provided as well. The Aquarium day and the Zoo day are well in hand, but the city day still has a bit of iffies.

We have two areas left, that we just cant seem to figure out or are guessing.

1. The visit to the National Museum before or after the canal cruise, will just have to be a "on site" decision based on the time. We will have the Copenhagen Card. It includes the canal cruise, BUT it is only out of Gammel Stand 32, not Nyhavm. How does this change our routing. Seems like the National Museum is open until 16:00 while the canal cruise is good until 21:00? It looks like the cruise is RT, so we would be at Gammel when we need to route back to the AP.

2. We seldom do much of a sit down meal. Having lunch, especially outside in Nyhavn sound great, but we are more likely to grab a sandwich or the like.
Is there a Subway, McDonalds, or local brand "fast food" in the area we are walking? Similar by the zoo or Brewery?

Thanks. It is getting close for our trip. Had a tooth break so I am in the process of an implant. Also had Cataract surgery (seeing good). Both in the last 45 days. Doing the write up for the flight to FLA, then the 17 day cruise, and the 3-4 days in Copenhagen is now looing like a reality. This will be a real 41 year anniversary celebration!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:01 am

1. It doesn't really change your itinerary.
You should have a look at Nyhavn anyway.
The Gammel Strand 32 Canal Tours stop is half way between Nyhavn/Kgs. Nytorv and the National Museum. So on your route to the National Museum anyway.
Going back to the Hilton from the Canal Cruise stop is very easy.
Take the metro from Kgs. Nytorv (very close to the Canal Tours stop).
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:46 pm

Hows the walk from The Little Mermaid to Rosenborg castle ? Since mermaid if off the main attractions , we want to do it early morning (around 9 am ) and then walk to Rosenborg castle as they open at 10 am.

We are staying at Crowne Plaza in Orestad.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:17 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If you want a burger near the National Museum, try Cocks and Cows on Gl Strand.

Failing that, any branch of Lagkagehuset will serve you up a decent sandwich. And a rather nice cake to follow...
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:23 pm

From the Little Mermaid to Rosenborg is pretty short.

Personally, I'd get the metro to Kgs Nytorv and walk up along the waterfront from Skt Annae Plads to the mermaid, than back round the Kastellet to Osterport (there's a handy bridge over the main road and railway) and through the park (or through the Kastellet to Esplanaden and then past the old houses around Krokodillegade) towards Rosenborg.

As an alternative, get off the metro in Christianshavn (or even off the train at the Hovedbanegard) and catch a waterbus up to Nordre Toldbod for the mermaid. If speed is if the essence, then a train direct from Orestad to Osterport (arguably quick to take the metro and change to the S-Tog at Norreport) will see you right, but it's not as scenic.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:57 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you.

The tiny maps are tough. When we get our Cop. Card, we will likely get a large map with more detail.

From what you say, and using several of the tiny maps, I get. Go on Metro to Norreport Station. Exit and go right past Abenra, then past Gothersgade, then continue to the grounds of Rosenborg Castle. View Castle and gardens and then exit back side onto Kronprinsessgade@ Dronningens Tvergade (DT). Take DT to Bredgade. Go left on Bredgade (right side of street) to Frederiksgade. As you say, the Marble Church (Frederik Church) is to the left and Amalienborg square is to the right. The Museum is off to the left and just before the Queens Palace. It is the Museum that has the Jewels and both are open to entry with the Copenhagen Card (we will find out on arrival)? We will view the Garden and then exit the rear continuing on Frediksgade to Toldbodgade (TB). We go right on TB past Sankt Annae Plads and on down to Nyhavn and the canal.

I taped some maps together and now I am good. I have Nyhavn, then I have Gammel Strand (it is a short area and I assume #32 is there for the canal cruise). I found the Museum and NY Vestergade and Nytorv station.

I am good. Saw a pizza place along the walk, so we might drop in there for a bit to keep us going!!!!!!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by stut
From the Little Mermaid to Rosenborg is pretty short.

Personally, I'd get the metro to Kgs Nytorv and walk up along the waterfront from Skt Annae Plads to the mermaid, than back round the Kastellet to Osterport (there's a handy bridge over the main road and railway) and through the park (or through the Kastellet to Esplanaden and then past the old houses around Krokodillegade) towards Rosenborg.

As an alternative, get off the metro in Christianshavn (or even off the train at the Hovedbanegard) and catch a waterbus up to Nordre Toldbod for the mermaid. If speed is if the essence, then a train direct from Orestad to Osterport (arguably quick to take the metro and change to the S-Tog at Norreport) will see you right, but it's not as scenic.
Stut thanks for info. I am torn between direct regional trains from Orestad to Osterport or to take the metro to Norreport and switch to S-Tog. I understand the direct train is fastest which is what we want as time is of essence. However my question is how frequent are the Oresundstag trains?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:07 pm

The Øresundståg service is currently running every 10 minutes at busy times. There's also often a driver change at the Hovedbanegård, so it can be quite slow. Bear in mind that the Copenhagen rush hour is quite early in the day (it starts to tail off from 8).

Of course, while you're changing at Nørreport, you might accidentally get the elevator to the Torvehallerne and end up buying a magnificent wienerbrød and coffee from Laura's in the southern market hall. There's far too many times I've made this terrible mistake when changing at Nørreport, so I thought it best to forewarn you.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:00 pm

You are awesome ..Great info.

I have a weird question for you as you know a lot about CPH

I am planning to take bus 26 from Indiakaj (The Little Mermaid area) to Rosenburg Slot. When I check google street view I don't see the bus stop going towards Rosenburg castle..
If you do a street view you will see the bus stop. But isn't that the one that goes towards Langeliniekaj ? Or is that the bus stop which goes towards Osterport ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.6951...1!1e1?hl=en-US
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:13 am

It's both - the 26 turns round at the end of Langelinie, it's just a branch in the route. For Rosenborg, make sure it's headed towards Valby.

If you're catching the 26 from Østerport, use the stairs at the front of the train, not the main station. Then turn right and you'll come to a little square with a bus stop. Careful, this serves both directions (you want Færgehavn Nord).

However, if you're catching the 26, you may as well take it from Kongens Nytorv by the metro. Come out the metro, and the stop is on the opposite side of the street.

If you want to walk from Østerport, use the front stairs again, but turn left on to Østbanegade. Go right and then right over the foot and cycle bridge - the ramp then takes you straight down to the mermaid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.