Search

Swedish railway stops Denmark service over refugee ID checks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Swedish railway stops Denmark service over refugee ID checks

Sweden's state-owned railway operator SJ said on Monday it would halt its passenger services to and from Denmark because it was unable to carry out the identity checks demanded by the government to stem an influx of refugees.
----

Oresundstag, the operator of a commuter railway service linking the two countries, said it would remain in operation after Jan. 4 but scale back rush-hour traffic to allow time for the identity checks.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu...0U41OI20151221
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For more complete background and discussion on this topic, there is this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...l#post25901929

It's doing more than just scaling back frequency during rush-hour.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 7, 2016 at 3:14 pm
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:27 am

I'm very confused by all of this. I have a direct train booked from Stockholm to Copenhagen for March. Do I need to rebook? Should I just give up in the train?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by manda99
I'm very confused by all of this. I have a direct train booked from Stockholm to Copenhagen for March. Do I need to rebook? Should I just give up in the train?
What's your ticket's train number?

The SJ train from Stockholm to Malmo will continue to be operated, and SJ can reaccomodate passengers onto the Malmo to CPH trains operated by Oresundstag in order to get you between the two cities.

You can call up your rail ticketing/operating company and see what they say. But you'll have to change trains at Malmo Central train station at least, if you want to use a SJ rail ticket for trains to try to get from Stockholm to Copenhagen.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What's your ticket's train number?

The SJ train from Stockholm to Malmo will continue to be operated, and SJ can reaccomodate passengers onto the Malmo to CPH trains operated by Oresundstag in order to get you between the two cities.

You can call up your rail ticketing/operating company and see what they say. But you'll have to change trains at Malmo Central train station at least, if you want to use a SJ rail ticket for trains to try to get from Stockholm to Copenhagen.
Train 525 - 8:21
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by manda99
Train 525 - 8:21
That's SJ's fast train. They'll send you to Malmo Central and put you onto the Oresundstag train from Malmo Central to/via CPH on Oresundstag trains. You can call up SJ at +46-0771757575 and see what they say.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

They didn't offer that as an option when I called about my Stockholm-Copenhagen ticket. They said they would only take me as far as Malmo. I cancelled the rail ticket and have booked an airline ticket instead. I've been reading some media reports forecasting packed trains and reduced service from Malmo to Copenhagen and just don't want to deal with that with baggage.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
They didn't offer that as an option when I called about my Stockholm-Copenhagen ticket. They said they would only take me as far as Malmo. I cancelled the rail ticket and have booked an airline ticket instead. I've been reading some media reports forecasting packed trains and reduced service from Malmo to Copenhagen and just don't want to deal with that with baggage.
I just went ahead and did the same. I was mostly taking the train as an interesting experience for my son, it's not worth messing with it if it's going to be possibly inconvenient or confusing. The flight was only $43 each anyway.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:04 pm
Suspended

manda99, no plan to visit southern Sweden too? For many a visitor to Copenhagen, checking out Malmo is a natural extension of the same trip.

Originally Posted by tom911
When was your trip to be?

I'm positive that trains from Malmo to Copenhagen will still be running at least once ever 20-30 minutes, with the exception of perhaps some very early morning hours.

I doubt that those 2016 trains will be any more packed than they already are in 2015. And I'm on these trains rather frequently.

Flying into CPH from Sweden/Stockholm is something I do rather often, but it's not all that great either -- worse if checked baggage is part of the picture, somewhat better if the Danish Metro is a whole lot more convenient for me from CPH than the Oresundstag train for CPH-Danish stops.

And if the goal is to visit more of Sweden when also visiting Denmark, checking out Malmo may well be worth the extra hour or three that is the result of choosing the train instead of the plane.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

When was your trip to be?
Mine wasn't until February, but I didn't want to miss the window for a discounted airline ticket waiting too much longer. If I waited another week or two to see if the service is restored all the way into Copenhagen, and it isn't, the air tickets could price higher. Just a matter of convenience to move to air at this point and save rail for a future trip.

I've been to Malmo before. Not planning a visit on this trip.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:49 pm

We are doing a spring break trip split between Copenhagen and Stockholm. It's just me and my 12 year old son and we decided to just stick with the two capitals to limit time spent in transit and really have a chance to explore the cities. No bags to check, we pack light. I have a friend in Copenhagen who's begged us to come see Denmark!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I was just there and it was in the news that trains from Sweden to DK are not stopping at CPH when they are too crowded and/or delayed. Does that mean Swedes going to CPH have to get off at Kbhvn H and then take a train back to CPH? That would suck and add nearly 30 min to the trip.

Last edited by gnaget; Jan 19, 2016 at 10:15 am Reason: Not because they are too crowded....
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:40 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Tårnby, rather than the Hovedbanegård. Still a pain, but more of a dull ache than a please-make-it-stop.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gnaget
I was just there and it was in the news that trains from Sweden to DK are not stopping at CPH when they are too crowded and/or delayed. Does that mean Swedes going to CPH have to get off at Kbhvn H and then take a train back to CPH? That would suck and add nearly 30 min to the trip.
There is some skipping of CPH as a stop on the trains between Hyllie and Denmark; and a number of people are missing flights because of this messing around. And it's messing up schedules in both directions sometimes.

I'm having to budget an extra 45 minutes because of the situation.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by stut
Tårnby, rather than the Hovedbanegård. Still a pain, but more of a dull ache than a please-make-it-stop.
Ok, but I was assuming that they would skip these insignificant stations as well.

The train service (esp S trains) hasn't gotten any better in the winter. They terminated service between Holte and Lyngby yesterday because of track failure. Uber came up blank and no cabs (will have to remember 4x48 for Taxi Nord), so I suffered a painful bus ride that took forever via DTU. Luckily I had an extra 30-45 min buffer before my flight.

Today I see a track failure downtown.

p.s. Are the trains from Kbhvn H to CPH running ok these days? I took the Metro because of the ongoing debacle, which I had been avoiding over the past 2 years due to construction delays that seem to have been completed. I started taking the train to and from Hellerup, which is much more pleasant and avoids changing in the filthy, urine reeking Nørreport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.