Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to get from Stockholm to ARN airport?

Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT

Sorry for the dumb question, but I've googled this question and came to a bunch of answers for getting FROM ARN TO Stockholm. I'm looking to confirm if this is true for the opposite way:

I will arrive in Stockholm via ferry. I will be buying a 72hr SL pass for ~$230SEK. The question is: Can I use this SL pass (within the validity period) to get from Stockholm to ARN airport (probably via Mrsta station + Bus 583) without any additional surcharge? If not, how much is the surcharge, and how do I pay it? (I plan to do this to catch a 11am flight this saturday)

Similarly, I believe I can just buy another SL 24/72 hr pass when I come back to ARN and get in the city via bus 583 + train without additional surcharge? Is there a machine or office to buy this pass at the airport?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chunky649
Sorry for the dumb question, but I've googled this question and came to a bunch of answers for getting FROM ARN TO Stockholm. I'm looking to confirm if this is true for the opposite way:

I will arrive in Stockholm via ferry. I will be buying a 72hr SL pass for ~$230SEK. The question is: Can I use this SL pass (within the validity period) to get from Stockholm to ARN airport (probably via Mrsta station + Bus 583) without any additional surcharge? If not, how much is the surcharge, and how do I pay it? (I plan to do this to catch a 11am flight this saturday)

Similarly, I believe I can just buy another SL 24/72 hr pass when I come back to ARN and get in the city via bus 583 + train without additional surcharge? Is there a machine or office to buy this pass at the airport?
Yes; and yes, last I did it; and yes, at the tourist information offices in Arlanda terminals.

The SL passes for those periods are valid for the commuter trains to/from Marsta as well as the buses between Marsta and Arlanda. No surcharge last I did it.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
The surcharge is only if you use the train station at the airport; that is if you take a SL commuter train directly to the airport. Somehow has something to do with the financing of the airport station - so they claim.
And the surcharge is 85 SEK.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

I've completed my ARN portion of the trip and just wanted to add some note to make this thread complete and more useful to future searchers:

STOCKHOLM C is attached to the T-CENTRAL T-bana station. The #36 train platform is about at least a brisk 5-7 walk.

The frequency of the #36 train is about once every 20 minutes (confirm when you go!) and the ride takes ~45 minutes from STOCKHOLM C to Mrsta. The #583 bus frequency is ~every 15 minutes. The bus ride takes 10-15 minutes to the airport.

At the airport, you can buy the ticket from the many tourist INFO offices. I think there are automated machines as well. The INFO offices take credit card.

Alternatively, if you don't need a public transit ticket, or are in a hurry, the train (Arlanda Express) takes only 20 minutes. There are several bus services that cost ~$100sek. Some are as low as $85sek.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I've completed my ARN portion of the trip and just wanted to add some note to make this thread complete and more useful to future searchers:

STOCKHOLM C is attached to the T-CENTRAL T-bana station. The #36 train platform is about at least a brisk 5-7 walk.

The frequency of the #36 train is about once every 20 minutes (confirm when you go!) and the ride takes ~45 minutes from STOCKHOLM C to Mrsta. The #583 bus frequency is ~every 15 minutes. The bus ride takes 10-15 minutes to the airport.

At the airport, you can buy the ticket from the many tourist INFO offices. I think there are automated machines as well. The INFO offices take credit card.

Alternatively, if you don't need a public transit ticket, or are in a hurry, the train (Arlanda Express) takes only 20 minutes. There are several bus services that cost ~$100sek. Some are as low as $85sek.
Excellent, thanks for recapping your experience... I for one appreciate it (as well as the others' feedback)
Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Sure, for simple ARN - city center ride, Express is the fast option and bus is the budget option.

Just if you want to connect to further place in town, you may need bus and other connections. Then the easiest advice is to download the SL app. You can pay with it, and it gives you automatically the correct fare without need to study the fare classes. Also gives you idiot-proof easy route options to follow without need for map or planning.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FFlash
Sure, for simple ARN - city center ride, Express is the fast option and bus is the budget option.
SJ can also be an inexpensive option, and it's only about 10 minutes slower than Arlanda Express. The problem is that the train doesn't go through ARN too often, so the timing has to be right for it to be worth it.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

Depending on where you are starting your trip in Sthlm towards ARN, the SL commuter trains may be useful. The quickest but not cheapest is 20 minutes from the city centre to ARN.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
These questions always remind me of this:
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
For me its the fast train every time!!! And I get a discount as an OAP!!

Arlanda Express by Dave McDermott, on Flickr

Train coming soon! by Dave McDermott, on Flickr
Old Mar 27, 2016, 3:38 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by liamvad
For me its the fast train every time!!! And I get a discount as an OAP!!
The Arlanda Express is certainly not cheap - 280* SEK one way, 540 SEK return...but I think it's well worth it when you have early morning flights to the airport or if you're getting into the city late in the evenings and just want to get to a bed. Taxis or Uber between ARN and Stockholm center run about 520 SEK.

(If you're able to do some advance planning, the one way ticket prices comes down to 154 / 196 / 252 SEK if you book 90 / 30 / 14 days in advance, respectively.)
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JY1024
The Arlanda Express is certainly not cheap - 280* SEK one way, 540 SEK return...but I think it's well worth it when you have early morning flights to the airport or if you're getting into the city late in the evenings and just want to get to a bed. Taxis or Uber between ARN and Stockholm center run about 520 SEK.

(If you're able to do some advance planning, the one way ticket prices comes down to 154 / 196 / 252 SEK if you book 90 / 30 / 14 days in advance, respectively.)
Online tickets must be purchased at least one hour prior to departure.

Early Bird
45 % discount with 90-day advance purchase, SEK 154
30 % discount with 30-day advance purchase, SEK 196
10 % discount with 14-day advance purchase, SEK 252

Early Bird Tickets apply only to single tickets purchase online. The relevant discount is deducted immediately and can be up to 45 %, depending on how long in advance the purchase is made. The ticket is not refundable and cannot be rebooked. The Early Bird Tickets can not be combined with other discounts and special offers.

2 for 300:-, 3 for 400:- and 4 for 500:-
Two, three or four adults travelling together, single journey. Applicable Thu-Sun and bank holidays. This discounted ticket cannot be rebooked or refunded. Can be purchased online and in our ticket vending machines, ticket counter at Stockholm Central Station and in the Information counters at Arlanda.

Adult:
One-way ticket: 280 SEK
Return ticket: 540 SEK
From 26 yrs. 0-17 yrs, max. 4 travel for free accompanied by adult from 26 yrs. Age must be verified.

Youth, one-way ticket: 150 SEK
8-25 yrs, unaccompanied. Age must be verified. Children 0-7 yrs travel for free.

Children: 0 SEK
0-17 yrs, max. 4 travel for free accompanied by
adult from 26 yrs (not applicable to student tickets).
Age must be verified.

Student, one-way ticket: 140 SEK
Sold at ticket counters only. Valid ISIC/Mecenat card or Studentkortet and your ID is required.

6 HOURS return ticket: 340 SEK
Valid for 6 hours from start of journey.

Travelcards (rechargeable)
Adult, 10 / 25 / 50 journeys
2.450 / 5.600 / 10.500 SEK

12-monthpass (order through internet)
25.000 SEK

All children 0-17 yrs travel for free.
Multi-trip cards are non-personal and may be used by several persons, either individually or in a group.
The 12-month pass is personal and only valid together with a current photo identification card.

* 100 SEK surcharge per ticket purchased on board.
* Paper tickets are valid for one month from purchase unless otherwise stated.
* E-tickets must be purchased at least one hour prior to departure and are valid the choosen date.
* A receipt is not valid as a ticket.
* The price list is valid from January 19th, 2009.
* Arlanda Express makes reservations subject to price-, rule- and timetable changes.
* The ticket is a valuable document.
Retiree and Senior citizens discounts? Not too sure about those but Sweden has a lot of that going on for using public transit.

Sometimes there have also been summer/holiday period discounting where two people on the same ticket substantially lowers the cost per person. Cheap enough to want to find someone with cash to split the cost, as it brought down the price to be less than double the Flygbussen ticket price.

And when I've just missed the Arlanda Express by a minute or two, I'll sometimes rush to grab the next Flygbussen since the Flybussen tend to run more frequently and the travel time is sometimes around 20-30 minutes longer (in terms of getting me to the check-in counters or security) than the Arlanda Expeess. Waiting more than 15 minutes for the next Arlanda Express isn't always worth it to me.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 27, 2016 at 7:41 am
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Thanks again for point out this. Again I forget about the kids travel free option
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Retiree and Senior citizens discounts? Not too sure about those but Sweden has a lot of that going on for using public transit.
OAP's get discount check on the website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.