Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland - in Winter. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Iceland - in Winter. What to do?

I read some of the other Iceland threads here and remember some of the key words like Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle. The trouble is, those threads were created for a summer itinerary whereas I will be traveling in fall/winter. I looked into a stop-over in Reykjavik on my way back from Amsterdam and it seems that the ticket isn't more expensive whether I do one day or two (or even three), so what are my best options to explore Iceland in the best way on a grad student budget for a couple of pretty cold days?

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 19, 2015 at 8:59 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
I read some of the other Iceland threads here and remember some of the key words like Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle. The trouble is, those threads were created for a summer itinerary whereas I will be traveling in fall/winter. I looked into a stop-over in Reykjavik on my way back from Amsterdam and it seems that the ticket isn't more expensive whether I do one day or two (or even three), so what are my best options to explore Iceland in the best way on a grad student budget for a couple of pretty cold days?
Well you can do the Blue Lagoon in winter - it is a geothermal spa after all. I was in it when it was snowing in February! The other usual excursions around the island were running at that time, but with the warning that things could be cancelled at the last minute or routes changed in case of really inclement weather/poor visibility - depending on the purpose of the trip. I mainly hung around and explored Reykjavik and went to the lagoon on a two night stopover.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Northern lights! And dress warmly, gloves, hats and all.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:47 pm

Iceland - in December.

I have an offer to do a trip to Iceland in the lovely warm month of December.

I know what I would be getting into temperature-wise by going that time of year, but I'm curious to know about accessibility. How well are the roads maintained during the winter? I greatly enjoy doing outdoor photography, but if the majority of the sites are snowed in and inaccessible, I won't bother with the trip.

What about the Ring Road - I'm assuming that it's the major road on the island and still well-maintained in the winter?

Are there any "must-see" things that I likely couldn't reach?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:37 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I can't speak for December -- we were there March 1st this year and it was snowy and chilly (but warmer than Boston), but at least we had 10-11 hours of daylight. In Reykjavik, in December, you'll have 4 to 5 hours maximum of daylight. Not enough time to do the Golden Circle. In Akureyri you'll have 3-4 hours of daylight.

Everything I've read suggests South Iceland is pretty passable all year as it's warmer than the northern part of the country. Mountain passes are a bit scary, though. We went from Vik to Reykjavik during a storm and although we saw a few plows, there was a pretty consistent 3/4" icy mix on the road.

I love Iceland, but you won't see me there between November and February.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:45 am

December is actually a great time to visit, especially if you are a photographer. You may well see the Northern Lights and the whole country will be getting in the mood for Christmas.

In the south there is a god chance of snow, but the roads are well maintained by snow ploughs and barring freakish conditions you will be able to travel around just fine. Just make sure the car you are driving has winter tyres and check the local reports for weather and driving conditions. I have driven to the North of Iceland several times over Christmas (in a 2WD) and it was fine, you just have to be extra careful (kind of goes without saying)

In terms of must-see..how long are you over for? Obviously daylight restrictions will mean you can´t go too far if you have to return to Reykjavik each night..
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by EerieVon
In terms of must-see..how long are you over for? Obviously daylight restrictions will mean you can´t go too far if you have to return to Reykjavik each night..
One week (December 13-20).

I have no problem hauling my stuff around in a car and staying a night in different towns along the way if there are likely to be any rooms available anywhere. (Are the small-town hotels over there seasonal?)
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
One week (December 13-20).

I have no problem hauling my stuff around in a car and staying a night in different towns along the way if there are likely to be any rooms available anywhere. (Are the small-town hotels over there seasonal?)
Smaller town hotels are seasonal, but in the South you should be able to find places open in the winter.

Volcano Hotel near Vik is a very nice boutique hotel that I think is yearround. Hotel Hofdabrekka, also near Vik, is where we stayed in March. Much bigger place, better chance they are year round.

You should be able to find a place near Hofn, further East.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EerieVon
December is actually a great time to visit, especially if you are a photographer. You may well see the Northern Lights and the whole country will be getting in the mood for Christmas.
I don't thinks so.... less than 5hrs of light a day. So only good for the very lazy photographers who like to sleep late.

And seeing the Northern Lights is something that's not so common as you might think. Nothing that makes December better for it than any other time from October to March.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
I was there for New Year's last year and there wasn't any snow but it rained a few weeks before so the ice was thick on the side of the pavements. Obviously it was fine on the well worn paths but watch your step or you might go flying.

And absolutely no problems on the roads as well, it's Iceland after all, 5ft of snow to them is nothing.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I don't thinks so.... less than 5hrs of light a day. So only good for the very lazy photographers who like to sleep late.

And seeing the Northern Lights is something that's not so common as you might think. Nothing that makes December better for it than any other time from October to March.
I am no photographer but the light in Iceland over Winter is much softer. The sunrises and sunsets are much longer and the low sunlight conditions leads to very interesting sky colours.

I never said December was better for seeing the Northern Lights than any other winter month, I said winter is a good time to come to Iceland - one of the reasons being you may get to see them.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Iceland in February

Going to Iceland in Feb,what kind of weather can I expect? Will it be cold then?Will I need to wrap up warm!!! .......Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:21 am

Dark short days, cold, wet, windy, changeable, layers needed with wool and waterproofing. Trip Advisor Iceland forum has good advice on what to wear.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:21 pm

It's the middle of winter and you'll be very close to the Arctic Circle.

At best you're looking at a couple degrees above 0 (Celcius), most likely a few degrees below.

Lots of wind is pretty much a guarantee, so layers are a must, like Alsacienne suggests.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Thank-you both!!! I will wrap up warm,I recently went to Helsinki,and it was -4,so I should be ok at my age.(66)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.