Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

N00B Question about Northern Lights in Tromsø

Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Hello there,

This might sound like a real newbie question about Northern Lights, so I apologize in advance.

We are planning to visit Tromsø in mid Dec-early Jan with family to see the northern lights.

However, I cannot figure out as to why I need to hire a guide to "chase" the lights.

I thought that the northern lights is a natural phenomenon that can happen anytime, anywhere as long as you are in the right zone. So if I am staying in Tromsø city centre, I have as good a chance as viewing them, as I would, if I were to hire a guide to run me around the area.

Could I not just stay around my hotel and look up in the sky to see them?

Any other info that you can give will be helpful.

We plan to be there for at least 3-4 nights.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by vikamgoyal
I thought that the northern lights is a natural phenomenon that can happen anytime, anywhere as long as you are in the right zone. So if I am staying in Tromsø city centre, I have as good a chance as viewing them, as I would, if I were to hire a guide to run me around the area.

Could I not just stay around my hotel and look up in the sky to see them?
You can stay at your hotel, but you get better show away from town and its light pollution.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:05 pm

Light pollution is the main reason. The tour guides know good viewing spots and can track the weather, so if clouds will come over Tromso, they know and have driven as far as Finland and Sweden to see lights. Since you mention traveling with family, joining tours can be expensive, you might want to do research on good viewing areas and rent a car for a few nights, to go wherever and whenever you want. If you are staying long enough and don't get a good show on your own early in the trip, consider paying for a tour to increase your odds. I did two tours over three nights because I didn't know if I would ever return.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klew97
Light pollution is the main reason. The tour guides know good viewing spots and can track the weather, so if clouds will come over Tromso, they know and have driven as far as Finland and Sweden to see lights. Since you mention traveling with family, joining tours can be expensive, you might want to do research on good viewing areas and rent a car for a few nights, to go wherever and whenever you want. If you are staying long enough and don't get a good show on your own early in the trip, consider paying for a tour to increase your odds. I did two tours over three nights because I didn't know if I would ever return.
Thanks. Is driving difficult in snowy conditions. Like do you have go off-road or something like that?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by vikamgoyal
Thanks. Is driving difficult in snowy conditions. Like do you have go off-road or something like that?
If you never did it before, it can be difficult. The car behaves quite differently on snow or ice than on tarmac or dirt.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
You really need to get out of town. The lights are unpredictable and can come and go. I did a tour from Fairbanks and we didn't see anything until after midnight and then they can for a while, died down and returned around 4 am.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
Am hoping to go in November. Planning to spend 3 nights. Thinking of mid November to avoid full moon Nov 27.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
We've got 6 nights in Norway early Jan 16 ... but only 2 of those are in Tromsø. Just booked a car/guide to go chasing for one of the nights. It's a long way from AUS to Tromsø - so we're not going to depart wondering!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.