Search

New to Denmark, 4 days or so to...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:31 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
New to Denmark, 4 days or so to...

Read some of the other posts, then went off to tripadvisor, then came back here.

We are two seniors, loaded with luggage. Will be getting off a ship in Copenhagen. Probably will take a bus tour from the ship that will dump us off downtown. Would like to get ONE hotel for our stay period. Some thing we might like to include in our visit would be a castle or two (Kronburg? North Zealand?), perhaps the maritime museum (Helsingor), walkabout at Nyhaun, Tivoli Gardens, The National Museum of Denmark, Christianburg Palace, Botanical Gardens, Copenhagen Zoo, water tour. Open to more, and to less. Hop on and off buses have been part of our tries in some countries. Bus/train okay too. Walking is fine, if not steep or lots of stairs or too many hours without a rest here and there. We are not looking for great food experiences, art museums, night life. We like wines, but not much on sweet ones.

We need to book our air in the next week, so I need to do a bit of planning as to how long to stay.

Any suggestions would be helpful. We speak English and Spanish, that's it. Wife reads a bit of German. thank God the world often speaks plenty of English! Our stay will be in early May 2016. I will see if I can find the hop on and off for ideas for a couple of day of transport and visits. Seems lots of suggestions to train over to Sweden for a day trip. That's fine with us.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Glad I caught this before anyone replied.

Booked ticket, as UA board said do it NOW.

Unfortunately, to get the flight we wanted with adequate time between legs, it only leaves us from the 5th of May to the 8th of May. Really 2 and 3/4 days at the most. The 3/4 day will be from the ship, a bus tour dropping us off near a downtown hotel. We will still be able to do a walk about after checking in.

Anybody have temps to expect and when one loses sunlight?

this will really make us pick and choose what to select for our time.

Don't forget this is at the end of a 17 day cruise.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Lots of daylight hours in May:
http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/denma...nhagen?month=5

Temperatures:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/dk/cop...weather/123094

Pack for all sorts of weather : weather is unpredictable here in spring - it can be nice and warmish one day, rainy and stormy the next.

The boats are a very good way to see Copenhagen :
http://www.stromma.dk/en/copenhagen/...eeing-by-boat/

And a link for one of the hop on hop off busses :
http://www.stromma.dk/en/copenhagen/...y-sightseeing/

With so little time and it being the end of a cruise, I would suggest just concentrating on Copenhagen.

Last edited by helosc; Jul 25, 2015 at 11:06 pm
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Buy the Copenhagen card as it will get you into both the Tivoli and Zoo and probably your other interests as well! Additionally it includes free public transportation. Can't remember if it covers the hop on hop off buses in Copenhagen also.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Good idea with the Copenhagen card if you are going to visit some of the sights.
Hop on hop off busses not included but gives 10% off.
Boats included ( the normal roundtrip, not hop on hop off ).
The free public transport covers greater Copenhagen (in case you'll want to visit a castle).
Link :
http://www.copenhagencard.com/?currency=dkk

Public transport has become a bit complex for tourists after we switched to the electronic card, so it would be nice to have 'free' transport for your stay here.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:41 pm

Hubby and I were in Copenhagen this past May for 3 nights prior to a 15 day cruise. the temp. was mild. We did have bouts of rain...bring an umbrella. We stayed at the Hotel Bethel. While it is not a luxury hotel, the location can not be beat. Close to a metro/train station and walking distance to many sights. Includes a good breakfast and staff is very helpful. We bought the 72 hour Copenhagen Card. It paid for itself. We are in our 60's and we walked quite a bit. The area is relatively flat so there was not problems with terrain. Everything is expensive in Denmark, so be prepared. Easy to use an ATM to get Danish Krone.

http://www.hotel-bethel.dk/index.php/en/

We loved Copenhagen. Have a great time!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:46 pm

Forgot to add that everyone speaks English. You will have no language problems. Also, Denmark doesn't produce wine (at least I did not see any). We had some wonderful Spanish wines while in Copenhagen.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
The 24 hour pass for train, bus, metro is a really good deal.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: SK*D, HHonors D
Every servant / serviceperson in Copenhagen, also at the lesser touristed places, will speak english, and if they don't, they'll find a colleague for you that do for sure.

I don't know the hotel you mention but I would definitely recommend the Copenhagen Admiral Hotel, which is an old but very recently renovated building just next to Amalienborg (home of the queen, which you are missing in your list, much more impressive than the others, you also have the change of guards here), Christiansborg (the parliament), the little mermaid, which is always a huge disappointment but at least you can say you've seen it, and the pedestrian street with all the shopping for danish design at Magasin and Illum - plus the more local brand shops of Georg Jensen and Illum Living are easily within 1000 metres of the hotel.

If you are in to danish design, book the Radisson Royal hotel, to which Arne Jacobsen back in the days designed the famous chair "Svanen". He also designed the entire hotel, - if you're in the crazy spending mood (hotel is already rather expensive), call them and ask for the Arne Jacobsen suite which is still in the original designs. It's a very relaxed place and I'd imagine you would not feel like the huge sightseeing trip after 17 day cruise. Plus, the hop on/off busses have their ending station literally just outside the main entrance. The hotel is located right across the street from Tivoli. To visit Tivoli i'd recommend going in the evenings:
Every (or every second) friday during the summer (should be started in may) there is live music in the evenings (not marketed for kids). You can check this online, or write me when closer to departure date and I'll check for you since it seems their website is only in danish. Their 2016 programme isn't public yet.
Every night at I believe 6pm, 8pm and 10pm (might have changed since I went there last time, it's been some years) there is a rather impressive live light/music/fog show which is H.C.Andersen theme based at the lake in Tivoli.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:17 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by Goldiemom
Forgot to add that everyone speaks English. You will have no language problems. Also, Denmark doesn't produce wine (at least I did not see any). We had some wonderful Spanish wines while in Copenhagen.
Actually they do. But not very much.

http://www.danskevingaarde.dk/

They certainly do speak English. Most in the tourist industry even insist on speaking English to Norwegians, even though Danish and Norwegian basically are the same langauge.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ksu
Actually they do. But not very much.

http://www.danskevingaarde.dk/

They certainly do speak English. Most in the tourist industry even insist on speaking English to Norwegians, even though Danish and Norwegian basically are the same langauge.
Indeed. And even Sweden produces some wine, although most of it would come from Swedish lands lost by Denmark.

https://www.visitsweden.com/sweden/P...-wine-country/
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I have watched much of the Swedish Wallander series in weeks gone by (it's the uneventful cucumber time of the year, as they say in Denmark) and noticed various glasses of wine being enjoyed, could be from the local vingårdar of his Ystad!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you Flyertkers just the start I needed.

May post a ? or two as it get closer. Visit would be first week of May, 2016
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:23 pm

Dang, I should have researched Swedish wines!

We rented a car one day and drove to Malmo and on to Helsingborg to visit the small towns where my hubby's great grandparents are buried (found them all!). We could have visited a winery. We try and visit wineries whenever we travel as we live in a wine region of California.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Instead of giving you a rundown of the places to see, which you already seem to have taken care of, or places to stay, let me tell you how to get around.

By far the easiest, and often the fastest, way to get around Copenhagen is by bicycle. The city is built for it, and there are literally bicycle lanes everywhere. Bikes are used for the daily commute by 50% of the inhabitants, giving you an idea of how widespread the usage is. The city is very compact, and with a bike getting around is a doodle. From one end (Little Mermaid) to the other (Tivoli gardens) is around 15 minutes if you are a bit enthusiastic, 30 if you really take your time.

You can rent city bikes almost everywhere, and leave them again in an equally large number of places. Price is reasonable too, which is a term you will rarely hear in Denmark.

Enjoy your stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.